Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Nov 5th 2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Where would you like to travel to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofaHun View Post
Except for brief jaunt into Sault St. Marie when I was a kid, I've never really travelled in Canada either, so that would also be on the list.
OMG

I'm surprised you don't hate us. SSM (aka "The Sue") has a bit of a reputation up here as one of the ugliest and depressing places in all of Canada.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 10:26 AM
Villager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
OMG

I'm surprised you don't hate us. SSM (aka "The Sue") has a bit of a reputation up here as one of the ugliest and depressing places in all of Canada.
I don't remember much about the visit or the area. So is it something like Gary, IN or Flint, MI with a day-after-Armageddon atmosphere?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 10:40 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofaHun View Post
I don't remember much about the visit or the area. So is it something like Gary, IN or Flint, MI with a day-after-Armageddon atmosphere?
Not quite. Just a bunch of poor natives.

Saturday night entertainment usually consists of watching drunken Indians fight when the bars close. Its not pretty.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 01:41 PM
Official Forum Geek

Personally, I've traveled extensively in the US, but not much abroad at all.

In the realistic department (and not for work) over the next few years I would like to visit Ireland (perhaps with a visit to England and/or Scotland, depending on how much time I allow), a Canadian city or two, and I was thinking perhaps about a trip to Japan or China.

In the non-realistic (or, more accurately, later in life), I would love to visit locations in Sub-Saharan Africa and perhaps do a Mediterranean "sampler", such as a 14-21 day cruise around the region.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 01:56 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
Personally, I've traveled extensively in the US, but not much abroad at all.

In the realistic department (and not for work) over the next few years I would like to visit Ireland (perhaps with a visit to England and/or Scotland, depending on how much time I allow), a Canadian city or two, and I was thinking perhaps about a trip to Japan or China.

In the non-realistic (or, more accurately, later in life), I would love to visit locations in Sub-Saharan Africa and perhaps do a Mediterranean "sampler", such as a 14-21 day cruise around the region.
Japan (Tokyo) was the one country where I truly felt like a foreigner.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 02:13 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Japan (Tokyo) was the one country where I truly felt like a foreigner.
That's interesting. I wonder if I'd mind that for a 7 or 8 day trip. Do you mean that the culture was that much different than what you're used to or that people were xenophobic or unwelcoming?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 02:31 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
That's interesting. I wonder if I'd mind that for a 7 or 8 day trip. Do you mean that the culture was that much different than what you're used to or that people were xenophobic or unwelcoming?
The people were gracious and welcoming to a point of gushy, part of the 'face' culture. I was made to feel like a dignitary in every respect. I'm not tall for an American, 6', but in Japan that puts one at giraffe status. Combined with not speaking the language and being made aware of basic cultural differences prior to the trip I knew I was a foreigner going in. I enjoyed myself but knew I was a foreigner and that would never change. Much different than my experiences in Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 09:53 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

I'm thinking this would be a real good time to grab a week at an all-inclusive resort down in the Carribean!

I've always loved the 'all-inclusive' type resorts. Unlimited food, booze, books and beach for a week really appeals to me.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 09:54 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
The people were gracious and welcoming to a point of gushy, part of the 'face' culture. I was made to feel like a dignitary in every respect. I'm not tall for an American, 6', but in Japan that puts one at giraffe status. Combined with not speaking the language and being made aware of basic cultural differences prior to the trip I knew I was a foreigner going in. I enjoyed myself but knew I was a foreigner and that would never change. Much different than my experiences in Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Do you mean to say that you felt 'less like a foreigner' in Taiwan or Hong Kong than in Japan?
Old Dec 24th 2008, 12:12 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Oof. I dropped my roommate off at the airport, en route Spain, and I have the travel bug again!