Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Old May 27th 2011, 02:13 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Dan Brown

"Man in the street" also likes McDonalds.
Old May 27th 2011, 02:16 PM
Globetrotter

Donkey Brown writes with his gut, he ignores literary rules with cobwebs on, which were constructed by the same nitwits who thought you can't end a sentence with a preposition.

Brown has educated millions of people about European art history. People used to talk about Luke Skywalker, now they talk about Leonardo da Vinci, all thanks to Dan Brown.

We academics, who love history and art, should thank Mr. Brown for doing this.

Please, by all means criticise his shortcomings (yes, I'm sure he has them) but not about putting curriculum vitae details in the opening action sequence.
Old May 27th 2011, 02:18 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
"Man in the street" also likes McDonalds.
"I'll have the Dan Brown Happy Meal, please. Can I get the Hoax Decoder Ring as my toy?"
Old May 27th 2011, 02:18 PM
This wine needs more whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
What do you mean by rolling on the floor guffawing at my observations??? That's exactly what he did. Everyone was asking how you Americans could possibly vote for Bush in 2004 (okay, 2000 was a special case). People were seriously beginning to think that Americans were a sandwich short of a picnic. Then Dan Brown came along and hypnotised the world, and rescued America's reputation.
Rescued America's reputation?! *shakes head*

If anything it gave the sheep something to do
Old May 27th 2011, 02:23 PM
Globetrotter

You Americans have no idea how grateful you should be to Dan Brown for rescuing your intellectual reputation.

Look at this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE

When you have the knowledgeable people like Dan Brown, it shows that you have knowledge, just like other countries.
Old May 27th 2011, 02:27 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Donkey Brown writes with his gut, he ignores literary rules with cobwebs on, which were constructed by the same nitwits who thought you can't end a sentence with a preposition.
Well you shouldn't, by and large. So that kind of puts your argument on its head.

Ignores literary rules? If by "literary rules" you mean "basic tenets of the English linguistic structure," then yeah.

Quote:
Brown has educated millions of people about European art history. People used to talk about Luke Skywalker, now they talk about Leonardo da Vinci, all thanks to Dan Brown.
And they believe things that are not true about da Vinci. Dan Brown is a peddler of falsehood.

Also, what is wrong with discussing Luke Skywalker? Star Wars is an important component of 20th century pop culture, and frankly, a better told story than anything Dan Brown could even dream of creating.
Quote:
We academics, who love history and art, should thank Mr. Brown for doing this.
If by "thank him" you mean "tar and feather him" than yes.

Quote:
Please, by all means criticise his shortcomings (yes, I'm sure he has them) but not about putting curriculum vitae details in the opening action sequence.
He's a bad writer. That's all there is to it.
Old May 27th 2011, 02:30 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
You Americans have no idea how grateful you should be to Dan Brown for rescuing your intellectual reputation.

Look at this video...

When you have the knowledgeable people like Dan Brown, it shows that you have knowledge, just like other countries.
He's our intellectual poster boy? Hahahaha
Old May 27th 2011, 02:31 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:

Look at this video...

Sure he knows how to lie about art. Great.

Unfortunately, he is not knowledgeable about the talent required to write quality prose.
Old May 27th 2011, 02:31 PM
Globetrotter

Donkey, did you in seriousness say that you shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition??????????????????????????????????????? ????

The Anglo-Saxons would say 'The house I live in' they would NEVER say 'The house in which I live' (the words would be different of course, but the structure would have the preposition at the end in the first sentence).

The structure 'The house in which I live' or 'The woman with whom I live' was artificially created just to make English sound more like Latin. A gang sign for academics, nothing more.
Old May 27th 2011, 02:32 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
He's our intellectual poster boy? Hahahaha
i no rite?

Not our pantheon of scientists and highly educated professors. Not our great orators and novelists. Not our poets and our activists.

Dan. Fucking. Brown.

If the world is judging us based on his drivel, it's no wonder our reputation is sullied.