Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Entertainment

Entertainment Hollywood, Movies, Music, Television, Sports & Celebrities.

View Poll Results: Do you want to hear songs in lots of languages?
Yes 2 50.00%
No 1 25.00%
No, because I want to understand the lyrics 1 25.00%
I don't care, I just like voting in polls. 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 11th 2014, 03:48 AM
Citizen

Default Re: Eurovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
This is one of my favourite Eurovision songs. It was Iceland's entry in 1988. It is called Socrates, by the group
Beathoven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgpAVZ-0EV4

Ţú og ţeir (Sókrates)

Ég dái Debussy, ég dýrka Tjćkovský
Og Einar Ben og Beethoven og Gunnar Thoroddsen
Ég tilbiđ Harold Lloyd, ég tilbiđ Sigmund Freud
Og John Wayne og Mark Twain og ţig og Michael Caine
Syngjum öllum Sókrates, sálarinnar Herkúles
Um alla ţá sem allir ţrá
Og allir dýrka og dá
Ég syng um Kólumbus og Sólon Islandus
Og Mendelssohn og Paul og John
Og Jón Pál Sigmarsson
Syngjum öllum Sókrates, sálarinnar Herkúles
Um alla ţá sem allir ţráAnd
Og allir dýrka og dáAnd
Hej... syngjum öllum Sókrates, sálarinnar Herkúles
Um ţá sem spá en einkum ţá
Sem fallnir eru frá
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You and they (Socrates)

I admire Debussy, I worship Tschaikovsky
And Einar Ben and Beethoven and Gunnar Thoroddsen
I worship Harold Lloyd, I worship Sigmund Freud
And John Wayne and Mark Twain and you and Michael Caine
Let's all sing about Socrates, the Hercules of the soul
And about all of those who are desired by all
And who everyone worships and admires
I sing about Columbus and Solon Islandus
And Mendelssohn and Paul and John
And Jón Páll Sigmarsson
Let's all sing about Socrates, the Hercules of the soul
about all of those who are desired by all
who everyone worships and admires
Hey... Let's all sing about Socrates, the Hercules of the soul
And the prophets but particularly those
Who are no longer here among us

http://www.diggiloo.net/?1988is
Not heard the music but the lyrics deserve to win, win a prize as truly awful
Old May 11th 2014, 03:53 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Too bad they did not vote for their own singer. Oh, but you cannot do that in Eurovision, can you? How stupid is that? Do you realize that this meant, because the idiots in charge of this thing insisted on denying reality and counting Crimea as part of Ukraine, that Crimeans, even those still somewhat loyal to Kiev and perhaps wanting to vote for Ukraine, could not do so?

God... Again, why do we still participate in this? Why humiliate ourselves as a nation like this? Maybe I will ask this to Putin at his next telephone conference with the population, will phone in, for the first time ever
Poland, like most Central / East European countries is of course far more homophobic than the West, so it was a pleasant surprise that Ukraine gave Conchita 8 points. Also, Lithuania gave Conchita 10 points, which was another pleasant surprise.

But as I said East/Central Europe is far more homophobic than West Europe, so I hope gay people in this area feel comforted now that they know how accepting Europe is.

Yesterday was a fantasticday for gay people - it showed how differently people in Europe think now from previously regarding homosexuality. I'm very happy about that.
Old May 11th 2014, 11:25 AM
Globetrotter

How important is this victory for gay people? Well, the importance is, in my opinion, directly proportional with the anger levels among Russian conservatives.
Old May 11th 2014, 02:23 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Too bad they did not vote for their own singer. Oh, but you cannot do that in Eurovision, can you? How stupid is that? Do you realize that this meant, because the idiots in charge of this thing insisted on denying reality and counting Crimea as part of Ukraine, that Crimeans, even those still somewhat loyal to Kiev and perhaps wanting to vote for Ukraine, could not do so?

God... Again, why do we still participate in this? Why humiliate ourselves as a nation like this? Maybe I will ask this to Putin at his next telephone conference with the population, will phone in, for the first time ever
So, they have a rule against people voting for their own country - and Ukrainians can't vote for Ukraine - and you find that funny. Have I missed something??? Please explain, because I don't get it.
Old May 12th 2014, 12:47 AM
Globetrotter

YouYourselfAndYou, could you answer the previous post, please?
Old May 12th 2014, 01:00 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
So, they have a rule against people voting for their own country - and Ukrainians can't vote for Ukraine - and you find that funny. Have I missed something??? Please explain, because I don't get it.
Well, they helped Russia, in a way: all the Crimeans, if they were counted as Russians, would not have been able to vote for Russia. But, as Ukrainians, they could, and many did.

It did not matter, in the end, of course. It is Europe, so the transvestite had to win. But, still, Crimean votes gave Russia a healthy boost
Old May 12th 2014, 01:23 AM
Globetrotter

The pop star Filipp Kirkorov said on Rossiya 1 "Maybe this is a protest against our attititudes in Russia. Maybe we should reconsider. Maybe we shouldn't have such a categoric attitude to people with other sexual orientations."
http://www.kjendis.no/2014/05/11/kje...prix/33236368/

It's encouraging that there are Russian celebrities who think like Kirkorov, and it's also encouraging that he appears to be allowed to say it on Rossiya 1.
Old May 12th 2014, 01:31 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
The pop star Filipp Kirkorov said on Rossiya 1 "Maybe this is a protest against our attititudes in Russia. Maybe we should reconsider. Maybe we shouldn't have such a categoric attitude to people with other sexual orientations."
http://www.kjendis.no/2014/05/11/kje...prix/33236368/

It's encouraging that there are Russian celebrities who think like Kirkorov, and it's also encouraging that he appears to be allowed to say it on Rossiya 1.
I would not be so encouraged. Kirkorov only maintains his wealth and celebrity status by keeping close to the Kremlin (and even they are growing tired of him, so say the rumors). But among the average Russian, he has little respect anymore. Last time he went to Saint Petersburg to do a concert, he was unable to not only fill the auditorium, but sell even a third of the seats. Kirkorov is a washed up "star". He was "King of Pop" once, but, today, he is nothing, and certainly nobody takes advice from him on social policy. Actually, the fact that he led our Eurovision delegation may well have been a message from Putin, that he too does not think much of it also...

As well, Kirkorov is said to secretly be a gay himself. That is why he never did find himself a woman to have a family with, instead hiring surrogates to have his two babies...
Old May 12th 2014, 01:35 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I would not be so encouraged. Kirkorov only maintains his wealth and celebrity status by keeping close to the Kremlin (and even they are growing tired of him, so say the rumors). But among the average Russian, he has little respect anymore. Last time he went to Saint Petersburg to do a concert, he was unable to not only fill the auditorium, but sell even a third of the seats. Kirkorov is a washed up "star". He was "King of Pop" once, but, today, he is nothing, and certainly nobody takes advice from him on social policy. Actually, the fact that he led our Eurovision delegation may well have been a message from Putin, that he too does not think much of it also...

As well, Kirkorov is said to secretly be a gay himself. That is why he never did find himself a woman to have a family with, instead hiring surrogates to have his two babies...
But the fact that he's allowed to publicly say it on Rossiya 1 - isn't that a cause for encouragement?
Old May 12th 2014, 01:42 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
But the fact that he's allowed to publicly say it on Rossiya 1 - isn't that a cause for encouragement?
I suppose. But, I read the blogs after he said it, the Russian forums, discussion sites, etc. It was all either people making fun of him ("gay defends a gay lol" putting it in nice words); people angry and swearing at him, telling him to go to Europe, if he wants to live among gays and transvestites; or simply just dismissing him. I think I saw a couple posts, out of all of it, couple posts, not forums, saying that, we should not be so hateful, etc. And those were rudely dismissed too.