Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Entertainment

Entertainment Hollywood, Movies, Music, Television, Sports & Celebrities.

Old Mar 28th 2014, 12:14 AM
Globetrotter

Default Very talented nun

Here is an amazingly talented nun on an Italian talent show. She's obviously very talented indeed, but I can't help thinking that her being a nun gains her even more publicity than she would otherwise have received. What do other people think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oyAuockfZQ
Old Mar 28th 2014, 05:56 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Very talented nun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Here is an amazingly talented nun on an Italian talent show. She's obviously very talented indeed, but I can't help thinking that her being a nun gains her even more publicity than she would otherwise have received. What do other people think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oyAuockfZQ
With all due respect, lots of women are very talented. Sometimes, they are quite pretty. I can't help thinking that if a woman is pretty, that gains her even more publicity that she would have otherwise received.

It is certainly a well documented fact that men who are taller than average (ie. six foot plus) gain a notable advantage in hiring decisions and pay scales in a wide range of fields, regardless of educational status compared with men under six foot height. I can't help but thinking that tall men gain more publicity than they otherwise would recieve.

Old Mar 28th 2014, 06:07 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
With all due respect, lots of women are very talented. Sometimes, they are quite pretty. I can't help thinking that if a woman is pretty, that gains her even more publicity that she would have otherwise received.

It is certainly a well documented fact that men who are taller than average (ie. six foot plus) gain a notable advantage in hiring decisions and pay scales in a wide range of fields, regardless of educational status compared with men under six foot height. I can't help but thinking that tall men gain more publicity than they otherwise would recieve.

But isn't that just a bonus for tall men to make up for the fact sitting in cinemas can be quite uncomfortable for them?
Old Mar 28th 2014, 06:10 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
But isn't that just a bonus for tall men to make up for the fact that sitting in buses can be quite uncomfortable for them?
Isn't the benefit of being a pretty woman just a bonus to make up for the fact that walking in public can be full of harrassment?

Isn't the benefit of being a nun just a bonus for having to live in a bloody convent and be sexually celibate?

That is to say, this appears to be entirely a non-issue here. If a nun gains extra popularity on a talent show just because she's a nun, that seems pretty bloody normal to me.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 06:13 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Isn't the benefit of being a pretty woman just a bonus to make up for the fact that walking in public can be full of harrassment?

Isn't the benefit of being a nun just a bonus for having to live in a bloody convent and be sexually celibate?

That is to say, this appears to be entirely a non-issue here. If a nun gains extra popularity on a talent show just because she's a nun, that seems pretty bloody normal to me.
My point is that I wonder if she will still be a nun in 5 years' time.

But if she is, then I can only admire her talent, and her resolve to live according to her principles.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 08:01 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Didn't you mention that you read the Decameron
Old Mar 29th 2014, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Didn't you mention that you read the Decameron
The 14th century Europe was notorious for decadence, debauchery and generally 'low' morality right across the board (more so than centuries before or after). And medieval nuns usually got their 'vocations' by the decision of their noble/gentry family, so they were never much known for religious piety (or celibacy).

The morality, celibacy and genuine religious vocations of nuns have improved considerably over the last few centuries.

Btw, the advent of the 'codpiece' in male clothing in the next century for example was actually an improvement in modesty for upper class males. The late 14th century favored skin-tight hosery with 'scandalously' short tunics that stopped at the hips (and really long pointy shoes).
Old Dec 19th 2015, 05:51 PM
Globetrotter

YouYourselfAndYou, as you see, your Russian monk isn't the first churchy person to enter into singing competitions.