Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Entertainment

Entertainment Hollywood, Movies, Music, Television, Sports & Celebrities.

Old Oct 3rd 2014, 01:40 AM
Citizen

Lightbulb Voltron (Toei Animation): RoboWorld

"Voltron: Defender of the Universe" is an animated television series that features a team of space explorers that pilot a giant super robot known as "Voltron." Initially produced as a joint venture between World Events Productions and Toei Animation, the original television series aired in syndication from September 10, 1984 to November 18, 1985 (source of information: Wikipedia).

In many ways, the Voltron avatar preceded the cultural demand for the now-popular Transformers avatar universe, a subsidiary of Hasbro.

Voltron, unlike the colorful Transformers which included robots of various animals, objects, and characters, was a robot super-concoction comprised of miniature lion robots. Each lion had its own color and human driver-pilot, and the lions could join forces to form one super-robot warrior named Voltron.

Voltron had his own incredible sword of victory which he used to slash demonic hideous creatures unleashed by a dominion of darkness to create havoc and panic.

Voltron represented a human fascination with justice fantasies and its legacy is felt today in street chatter about the Transformers and other relevant comic book stylized entertainment animation programs and franchises about automated warriors.

For our age, Voltron really captured a social demand for strength-enhancement themed entertainment and is therefore worthy of appreciation in our world of steroids hysteria. The Voltron robot was a muscular crusader reinforcing human curiosity about the ethical boundaries surrounding strength and cooperation.

Voltron programs were presented in luscious color and the franchise came with its own action-figures and set pieces.

Voltron

Old Oct 3rd 2014, 09:21 AM
Resident Historian

Default Re: Voltron (Toei Animation): RoboWorld

I remember watching Voltron when I was little.

Voltron and the Transformers appeared almost simultaneously (1984), so I'm not sure it's fair to attribute one to the other. A more interesting comparison might be between Voltron and the 1990s show Power Rangers, which also involved five figures who piloted giant animal-robots which all combined into a single, huge, humanoid robot. It was really a pretty direct rip-off of the Voltron franchise, only they replaced the lions with dinosaurs and the animated men who piloted Voltron with an assortment of live-action teenagers. More specifically, with the sort of annoying "saved-by-the-bell"-esque teenagers which were in so many shows in the 90s.

Looking back, I still think Voltron is kinda cool. But I'm embarrassed that I ever watched Power Rangers as a kid.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 04:16 AM
Citizen

Default Robotech

Transformers, Power Rangers, etc., etc., they're all great...

I like comparing closely Toei's Voltron to Harmony Gold's Robotech, since they both boast stories/images of muscular mechanical macho-melodrama, which is nice for our modern age of 'ambition consciousness,' no?

I wonder which one President Trump likes...