Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Crusader Kings II

Crusader Kings II Do you like to play Crusader Kings? Looking for help, tips or strategies?

Old Oct 9th 2014, 05:47 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default How do you attack an elective monarchy?

I've run into this problem a couple of times now. Playing as Ireland, I was faced with trying to takeover England with its elective monarchy, and playing as England, I'm faced with the HRE with its elective empire.

So I'm wondering, is there any way to take over an elective kingdom? Beating them down, one war and one duchy at a time seems really, really tedious and time consuming.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to go about it?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 06:58 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: How do you attack an elective monarchy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I've run into this problem a couple of times now. Playing as Ireland, I was faced with trying to takeover England with its elective monarchy, and playing as England, I'm faced with the HRE with its elective empire.

So I'm wondering, is there any way to take over an elective kingdom? Beating them down, one war and one duchy at a time seems really, really tedious and time consuming.

Find a disaffected minority, gradually hand them out your citizenship and passports, and then send in your army on the pretext of defending your threatened citizens? That is our Russian way of doing it anyway Not sure if your game works like that...
Old Oct 10th 2014, 07:33 AM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Find a disaffected minority, gradually hand them out your citizenship and passports, and then send in your army on the pretext of defending your threatened citizens? That is our Russian way of doing it anyway Not sure if your game works like that...

MMI, I'd just like to say that I'm extremely glad you're a member of this forum! I'm glad you're back.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 01:43 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

MMI, I'd just like to say that I'm extremely glad you're a member of this forum! I'm glad you're back.
Thank you, glad to be here
Old Oct 10th 2014, 03:25 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Once you take one of the de jure duchies, doesn't that make you an elector (and thus a potential candidate)? After that I'd think you just need to either buddy up to a bunch of other electors and/or have them replaced with someone who really likes you. And then wait for the current monarch to die, of course. Or does it not work that way?
Old Oct 10th 2014, 05:39 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
Once you take one of the de jure duchies, doesn't that make you an elector (and thus a potential candidate)? After that I'd think you just need to either buddy up to a bunch of other electors and/or have them replaced with someone who really likes you. And then wait for the current monarch to die, of course. Or does it not work that way?
Yes, taking a de jure duchies makes you an elector. However, if you are not of the proper ethnicity, you will never receive a single vote no matter how much you bribe them or how much they love you or how high your prestige is. I've had more prestige than all of the English elector Dukes added together, and they still wouldn't vote for me.

The only way to fix that is to convert yourself to that nationality - in which case your own existing empire will go ballistic.

In other words, you pretty much have to take over a physical majority of elector duchies and elect yourself (which is what I describe as a very tedious process).
Old Nov 8th 2014, 09:31 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

I have found one way to deal with the challenge of taking over an elective monarchy, but it isn't pretty. I've used this against Scotland who had an elective monarchy.

1. Systematically take all duchies/counties from kingdom, leaving only the single crown duchy/county. This is a very tedious and slow process.

2. Take last remaining county from King of Scotland. Any duchy or crown titles he holds will evaporate.

3. With control of Scotland, re-create Kingdom of Scotland. The crown laws of Scotland will now match my own primary kingdom (not elective!).

Alternatively, you can keep taking the King's home county away from him. Every time you do, he will usurp another county. Just keep taking that county away until he has no more counties he can usurp.

This is doable for a kingdom the size of Scotland or France, but I can't imagine doing this to the HRE since it would take literally centuries to chew through all those HRE duchies!
Old Nov 10th 2014, 08:43 AM
Official Forum Lutheran

So I'm trying out a very very small modification to the game that I think might make the whole elective monarchy thing a lot easier. Specifically the problem of the Holy Roman Empire.

As I see it the problem is this: currently elective succession gives all vassals a +20 opinion modifier (presumably because they have a role in succession). The unintended consequence of this action is that elective monarchies are incredibly strong. The HRE is able to create an incredibly powerful and centralized state simply because all the vassals are predisposed to liking the emperor. This is both historically inaccurate and quite annoying.

So I simply changed this opinion modifier from +20 to -20. I justify this historically because the Holy Roman Empire was always being torn apart by its vassals. The game should reflect this fact. I'm hoping this change will create more factions and make it harder for the HRE to increase crown authority

I'll report back what my findings are.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 06:46 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
So I'm trying out a very very small modification to the game that I think might make the whole elective monarchy thing a lot easier. Specifically the problem of the Holy Roman Empire.

As I see it the problem is this: currently elective succession gives all vassals a +20 opinion modifier (presumably because they have a role in succession). The unintended consequence of this action is that elective monarchies are incredibly strong. The HRE is able to create an incredibly powerful and centralized state simply because all the vassals are predisposed to liking the emperor. This is both historically inaccurate and quite annoying.

So I simply changed this opinion modifier from +20 to -20. I justify this historically because the Holy Roman Empire was always being torn apart by its vassals. The game should reflect this fact. I'm hoping this change will create more factions and make it harder for the HRE to increase crown authority

I'll report back what my findings are.
That sounds like a great idea!
Old Nov 10th 2014, 08:16 PM
Globetrotter

Are there no guillotines in this game to deal with monarchies?
Oh, yes, wrong era, alas.