Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Crusader Kings II

Crusader Kings II Do you like to play Crusader Kings? Looking for help, tips or strategies?

Old Nov 1st 2014, 10:19 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Things in CKII that are totally unhistorical

1. Excommunications.

The way these are used in the game is absurd. The number one reason anyone gets excommunicated in the game is because they are guilty of holding a title that someone else covets. This happens so frequently it is absurd. But strangely enough, my king NEVER gets threatened with excommunication by the pope when I have free investiture in all my kingdoms and tell the pope to piss off with a small bribe every time he whines about it. I can also revoke bishoprics, I can even revoke a Prince-Bishopric and not a peep from the pope. Any revocation of a church property should automatically call for an excommunicaton. That would be historically realistic.

Basically, they have it backwards. The popes should be way more aggressive with excommunication threats against powerful rulers or anyone who revokes church property, and should not be issuing them to every other count who requests them based on their title ambitions as is the case in the game.

2. Minor female heiresses.

Historically speaking, the king's right to choose a husband for a minor female heiress (of a major title) in his kingdom was one of the most important 'patronage' elements available to a medieval king. That's why medieval courts were filled with ambitous and landless knights - they were hoping to earn the king's favor so they could be married off to an heiress and thus become landed (or promoted).

In the game, a king has zero power/control over such situations and that is totally unhistorical.

3. Wardship & Education

The game just totally ignores history and makes up a whole new form of tutalage. Medieval/feudal noble landed lords being trained to be anything but knights is totally unhistorical. It wasn't until the 14th century before we start seeing a few royal councillors who were not clerically trained - and clerical training meant religious training. Prior to that time, virtually all senior royal councillors would be bishops because they were the ONLY people who had any kind of education. Non-clerical royal councillors didn't become 'normal' until about the 16th century.

The idea of a low-born royal councillor in the 11th or 12th century is historically absurd. Heck, part of Magna Carta was about the nobles demand that NO ONE EXCEPT A HIGH RANKING LANDED NOBLE should ever serve as a royal councillor (they hated/resented the king's bishops) and were ready, willing and able to fight civil wars to enforce this.

4. Free rights of passage

In the game, I can march my army of 30,000 troops right across France any time I feel like it (or anywhere else for that matter) - I don't need French permission to do so. This is so totally unhistorical that it makes a mockery of actual medieval history which was obsessive about 'rights of passage' (and violations thereof).

5. Retinues

As I noted in the DLC thread, the idea of a medieval feudal lord having a permanent standing army is so far from being historical that it is laughable. The first standing 'retinue' armies in Europe appear in the 15th century at the earliest (France being first). Luckily, this one element can be eliminated by not loading the Legacy of Rome DLC. No so with the others as they are endemic to the vanilla game.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 02:09 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Things in CKII that are totally unhistorical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
4. Free rights of passage

In the game, I can march my army of 30,000 troops right across France any time I feel like it (or anywhere else for that matter) - I don't need French permission to do so. This is so totally unhistorical that it makes a mockery of actual medieval history which was obsessive about 'rights of passage' (and violations thereof).
That's remarkable because in Europa Universalis which shares the same game engine this is implemented rather well. So well in fact it can be a major pain in the ass tactically. Getting military access through a strategic hub can make or break a war.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 06:15 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
That's remarkable because in Europa Universalis which shares the same game engine this is implemented rather well. So well in fact it can be a major pain in the ass tactically. Getting military access through a strategic hub can make or break a war.
Indeed. I was quite surprised about this given that 'rights of passage' are featured in many other games - Civilization has always had rights of passage (and alliances for granting it).
Old Nov 8th 2014, 01:15 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

One more to add...

6. No Great Plague.

Where is the Great Plague of 1347-49? That is a rather famous medieval event that wiped out about 1/3 of the population of Europe.

I was actually looking forward to seeing what would happen the first time I had a game closing in on that date. I thought it would have been cool to see at least 1/4 of all characters in the game die off in flying succession. I expected my revenues and levies would fall sharply for at least a few decades afterwards. But nothing happened.

How could they miss putting in such an event?
Old Nov 9th 2014, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

7. The unified and strong Holy Roman Empire

In history, the Holy Roman Empire was rather less impressive than its name might suggest. Sure they had an impressive 12th century, but that's about it. For the most part, the Emperor never had the ability to moblize a huge feudal army to march off to any war he might want to fight, let alone to collect taxes or pass laws. He had to beg and pursuade a bunch of vassals together in order to do anything and in the HRE, that was like herding cats!

In game (1066 starts) the HRE is always a large, powerful and aggressive war-machine that is so far from historical reality that it is just silly.

*Note: just an idea, but maybe a good way to fix this is to make Empires that are elective must have a vote (just like one to pass new laws) in order to initiate a war.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 11:57 AM
Official Forum Lutheran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
One more to add...

6. No Great Plague.

Where is the Great Plague of 1347-49? That is a rather famous medieval event that wiped out about 1/3 of the population of Europe.

I was actually looking forward to seeing what would happen the first time I had a game closing in on that date. I thought it would have been cool to see at least 1/4 of all characters in the game die off in flying succession. I expected my revenues and levies would fall sharply for at least a few decades afterwards. But nothing happened.

How could they miss putting in such an event?
So I've been messing around with small mods that can be made to make the game more historically accurate. I found the answer to this one. In the disease.txt file this is what it says for the black death

Quote:
bubonic_plague = {
contagiousness = 0.8
outbreak_chance = 0.01
effect = {
city_tax_modifier = -0.8
supply_limit = -4
max_attrition = 0.05
}
icon = 4
tooltip = BUBONIC_PLAGUE_INFO
months = 7
trait = has_bubonic_plague
always_get_message = yes

timeperiod = {
start_date = 1300.1.1
end_date = 1400.1.1

one_only = yes
basically there is no set event that automatically launches the black death. the disease has an 80% contagion rating (significantly higher than any other disease) but only a 1% chance to fire on a daily basis between 1300 and 1400 (small pox has a 16% for comparison). basically if you want the plague to be guaranteed than change the outbreak chance to 1 or .9
Old Nov 10th 2014, 06:48 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
So I've been messing around with small mods that can be made to make the game more historically accurate. I found the answer to this one. In the disease.txt file this is what it says for the black death

basically there is no set event that automatically launches the black death. the disease has an 80% contagion rating (significantly higher than any other disease) but only a 1% chance to fire on a daily basis between 1300 and 1400 (small pox has a 16% for comparison). basically if you want the plague to be guaranteed than change the outbreak chance to 1 or .9
Well, I'm okay with making it a 'guarenteed' event, I just don't want to deal with the bloody thing repeating over and over again!