Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Philosophy & Political Theory

Philosophy & Political Theory What is the meaning of life? What is truth? Good vs Evil? This is the forum to debate about anything and everything!

Old Aug 24th 2017, 05:13 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Default Free Speech

Freedom of Speech and of the Press

In general:

Conservatives oppose speech and literature that is "immoral" or unpatriotic.

Liberals oppose speech and press that is hateful, racist, or libelous (fake).

Anarchists oppose speech and press that is capitalistic by throwing rocks though storefront windows at g-8 meetings.

Libertarians oppose speech and press that violates copyright or patent laws.

Voltaire said "I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it."

Only a tiny group of Voltairian individualists, including Spiked News promote unfettered speech.
http://www.spiked-online.com/freespeechnow
Old Aug 28th 2017, 05:41 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Free Speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Freedom of Speech and of the Press

In general:

Conservatives oppose speech and literature that is "immoral" or unpatriotic.

Liberals oppose speech and press that is hateful, racist, or libelous (fake).

Anarchists oppose speech and press that is capitalistic by throwing rocks though storefront windows at g-8 meetings.

Libertarians oppose speech and press that violates copyright or patent laws.

Voltaire said "I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it."

Only a tiny group of Voltairian individualists, including Spiked News promote unfettered speech.
http://www.spiked-online.com/freespeechnow
It has been a fundamental tenet of liberalism to support freedom of speech. Generally speaking, the only people who actually do support free speech are liberals. And Voltaire was a rather famous liberal. And 'so-called' conservatives have a very long history of aggressively seeking to suppress free speech in a wide variety of public arenas.

Btw, the line about the Libertarians is laughable. In reality, Libertarians respect only their own "god given" rights and screw everyone else.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 07:36 AM
Globetrotter

Michael, does your use of the present perfect indicate that you're describing a state of affairs which, while having in your view prevailed, may not be the case now, in 2017?
-
I'd say that there is more of a free speech championing element in the 2017 edition of the right than in the 2017 edition of the left, and I also think that most of the right has thankfully shed the bigotry which used to be associated with it, although there is little bit of bigotry within it still to be found, sadly.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Aug 30th 2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 06:02 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Michael, does your use of the present perfect indicate that you're describing a state of affairs which, while having in your view prevailed, may not be the case now, in 2017?
-
I'd say that there is more of a free speech championing element in the 2017 edition of the right than in the 2017 edition of the left, and I also think that most of the right has thankfully shed the bigotry which used to be associated with it, although there is little bit of bigotry within it still to be found, sadly.
I see zero evidence of championing 'free speech' from the American right - now or at any time. They generally hate free speech and actively seek to suppress it at every opportunity, though usually in a low-profile way. We've seen the Republicans enacting a whole bevy of 'gag orders' on government climate scientists for just one example.

On the far left, I agree that there are lots of anti-free speech types who want their 'safe-zones' and 'trigger-warnings' and other bullshit anti-free speech policies, but I respectfully submit this is mostly just some college kids and the SJW set. These people are NOT liberals no matter what they want to politically call themselves.

Indeed, anyone who is opposed to free speech is not a liberal by definition.

So, I stand by my comment. Liberals are still 100% in favor of free speech - always have been and always will be.