Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Old Jan 10th 2014, 09:08 AM
Citizen

Default Re: Nature of art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
A bit dogmatic, are we ? (you should understand British understatement).

You arbitrarily define things as you please and dismiss anything that counters it out of hand with vague statements but without any actual argument. "Because I say so" is the weakest form of argument.

Go ahead, give a detailed account of why Confucianism 'reduces to rules of the tribe'. If it's because it doesn't have religion in it, then you produced the mother of all circular reasoning.
No more than you are in stating that Confucian ethics are not so. Give me something worth producing an argument against and I will
Old Jan 10th 2014, 06:54 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
All well and good except that in a previous post you made exactly that kind of appeal to authority by declaring that you have a degree in philosophy. Having done so, it is only reasonable to inquire into the validity and value of that argument
Old Jan 10th 2014, 06:57 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
Micheal why are you afraid to say where and what you studied?
I'm not. I just don't see any reason to bother doing so.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 08:42 PM
Citizen

Lightbulb The Brush

The most convenient way to define art is to declare that a given work of art was 'intended' by the artist to be artistic. This helps critics separate artistic graffiti from street vandalism.

It's the intention to be creative that really helps us define the boundaries of art.

When we look at divination pictograms in religion and how, for example, Christian mythology creates images of a predatory son of perdition called the AntiChrist, we notice the human interest in using imagery to shape self-idealization or self-destruction 'avatars.'

The nature of art may be in its ability to re-present perception.

Recalling and reorganizing memories of perceptions in the creation of art can be taxing and even frustrating, leading to what is commonly known as 'artistic temperament.'

As long as art informs sentiment, we can understand paranoia-themed art totems such as the perception-devastation Hollywood (USA) horror gem "Hellraiser" (1987) in terms of 'creativity hunger.'

Tattoo You

Old Dec 3rd 2015, 09:07 PM
Citizen

Lightbulb Dickensian City: Pickpocket Prologue

The purpose of art is to make someone feel comfortable about otherwise unusual emotions about escape and claustrophobia.

If we look at the classic novel "Oliver Twist" (Charles Dickens), we find a story about pedestrianism values and traffic consciousness, presented through the issues of parenthood and orphanage valuation.

One iconic character in this Dickens novel is an ethically complicated Jewish man named Fagin who keeps under his wing a band of abandoned children whom he trains to be street pickpockets. One youthful Fagin-trained pickpocket is the precocious Artful Dodger who has much street wisdom which he imparts on the young protagonist, Oliver.

As we analyze Dodger and Fagin and the Dickensian portrait of street crime culture, we get the feeling that art helps humanity re-present social discourse.

Artful Dodger

Old Dec 5th 2015, 09:52 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: The Brush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abishai100 View Post
The most convenient way to define art is to declare that a given work of art was 'intended' by the artist to be artistic.
That's probably the best definition of "art" I've ever heard of.

Art is art if the artist declares what is produced to be art.

It is a definition that includes truly great art, all the shitty stuff called modern art and even children's kindergarten drawings.