Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Old May 27th 2011, 01:39 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Dan Brown

What do you mean by rolling on the floor guffawing at my observations??? That's exactly what he did. Everyone was asking how you Americans could possibly vote for Bush in 2004 (okay, 2000 was a special case). People were seriously beginning to think that Americans were a sandwich short of a picnic. Then Dan Brown came along and hypnotised the world, and rescued America's reputation.
Old May 27th 2011, 01:41 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Chuck Palahniuk, Lev Grossman, Cormac McCarthy, George R. R. Martin, Pat Rothfuss....just a short list of American novelists with more ability in their little fingers than Mr. Brown.
Old May 27th 2011, 01:48 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
Chuck Palahniuk, Lev Grossman, Cormac McCarthy, George R. R. Martin, Pat Rothfuss....just a short list of American novelists with more ability in their little fingers than Mr. Brown.
But they didn't reach the man in the street.
Old May 27th 2011, 01:49 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
What do you mean by rolling on the floor guffawing at my observations??? That's exactly what he did. Everyone was asking how you Americans could possibly vote for Bush in 2004 (okay, 2000 was a special case). People were seriously beginning to think that Americans were a sandwich short of a picnic. Then Dan Brown came along and hypnotised the world, and rescued America's reputation.
You are literally the first person I have ever heard say that. And I know a lot of non-Americans.

Also... google "Dan Brown Sucks."

So much to choose from... how bout this one? http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/langu...es/000844.html
Old May 27th 2011, 01:50 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
Yeah... and people like Michael Crichton have taken shits that climbed out of the toilet and wrote better quality books than Dan Brown.
Quote:
Populism is not the be-all and end-all of quality.
Old May 27th 2011, 02:00 PM
Globetrotter

Donkey the author of the link you posted thinks it's highly amusing that Brown chooses to put curriculum vitae details in the opening action sequence.

So I was totally mesmerised by the book, but because some blogger has explained to me that Brown puts curriculum vitae details in the opening action sequence, I'm supposed to be converted into thinking Brown is a rubbish writer??????????????????

I'm all for literary debate, but when people start knocking a writer for unimportant nonsense like putting curriculum vitae details in the opening action sequence, then I know that the platform for debate between me and them has gone.
Old May 27th 2011, 02:04 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Donkey the author of the link you posted thinks it's highly amusing that Brown chooses to put curriculum vitae details in the opening action sequence.

So I was totally mesmerised by the book, but because some blogger has explained to me that Brown puts curriculum vitae details in the opening action sequence, I'm supposed to be converted into thinking Brown is a rubbish writer??????????????????

I'm all for literary debate, but when people start knocking a writer for unimportant nonsense like putting curriculum vitae details in the opening action sequence, then I know that the platform for debate between me and them has gone.
Do you not understand? It is an example of an element of his writing that is bad.

The fact that you were totally mesmerized by it says more about you than it does about the book. Namely that you like writing that sucks.
Old May 27th 2011, 02:06 PM
Globetrotter

He writes the way people speak, just like Mark Twain did in Huckleberry Finn.
Old May 27th 2011, 02:08 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
He writes the way people speak, just like Mark Twain did in Huckleberry Finn.
No. He does not. Nobody speaks like this:
Quote:
Renowned curator Jacques Saunière staggered through the vaulted archway of the museum's Grand Gallery. He lunged for the nearest painting he could see, a Caravaggio. Grabbing the gilded frame, the seventy-six-year-old man heaved the masterpiece toward himself until it tore from the wall and Saunière collapsed backward in a heap beneath the canvas.
If they do, they should be promptly executed.

And hold on a minute... did you HONESTLY just compare Mark Twain and Dan Brown and put them on even footing?
Old May 27th 2011, 02:09 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
All of them bestsellers with their works translated into many, many languages. Perhaps the 'man in the street' should step inside a book store.