Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Sep 27th 2012, 04:02 PM
Villager

Default Mars Curiosity probe - Streams of water!?

Curiosity probe has sent back intel that highly suggests (or confirms) Streams of water once flowed on Mars! Your thoughts and what if anything does it mean to you?

Quote:
NASA's Curiosity rover has found definitive proof that water once ran across the surface of Mars, the agency announced today. NASA scientists say new photos from the rover show rocks that were smoothed and rounded by water. The rocks are in a large canyon and nearby channels that were cut by flowing water, making up an alluvial fan.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...hotos-prove-it

Old Sep 27th 2012, 05:55 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Mars Curiosity probe - Streams of water!?

I'm not surprised by the evidence. I consider it absurd to think that Earth is the only place in the universe with any kind of life forms.

The presence of water makes it very likely that Mars had some kind of microbial lifeforms present at some time in the past.

Not all lifeforms are going to evolve into intelligent species.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 10:52 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Very exciting stuff. Now to see what we do to the place over the next 50 years or so. Mining companies are my first bet at exploitation.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 08:09 AM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
Very exciting stuff. Now to see what we do to the place over the next 50 years or so. Mining companies are my first bet at exploitation.
Seems like it would cost a fortune to haul anything you dug up back home.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 11:09 AM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
Seems like it would cost a fortune to haul anything you dug up back home.
If we do any space mining, it will be in the asteroid belt. Low grav + big hauls = big profits.

Quote:
Asteroid 1986 DA achieved its most notable recognition when scientists revealed that it contained over "10,000 tons of gold and 100,000 tons of platinum", or an approximate value at the time of its discovery of "$90 billion for the gold and a cool trillion dollars for the platinum, plus loose change for the asteroid's 10 billion tons of iron and a billion tons of nickel."

At today's (2012) prices 100,000 tons of platinum is worth five trillion dollars.
Wiki
Old Sep 28th 2012, 11:54 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sytes View Post
Curiosity probe has sent back intel that highly suggests (or confirms) Streams of water once flowed on Mars! Your thoughts and what if anything does it mean to you?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...hotos-prove-it

While I'm a space 'freak', not much to be honest. The range in which Mars would have had freely streaming water was ancient and narrow (approx. 4.1 to 3.7 billion years ago). Because of the specific nature of Mars, i.e. much smaller and colder than e.g. Earth, the chemical processes that lead up to life were much slower. If there once was life, which is still possible, it wouldn't have evolved beyond the single cell phase (or something equivalent). Fossilized bacteria (or equivalent) from over 3.5 billion years ago aren't very interesting to me.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 11:59 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
If we do any space mining, it will be in the asteroid belt. Low grav + big hauls = big profits.

Wiki
Agreed, and what's more, this particular asteroid -and others- are so-called Amor asteroids, which means that their orbit approaches that of Earth. And that makes it feasible to nudge them into an orbit around the Earth. Once they're in a geostationary orbit, a space elevator could be built and mining would become relatively cheap. This may sound more science fiction-ish but it's actually far more likely (and easier and cheaper) than putting up a base on a planet.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 04:04 PM
Globetrotter

I hope they find life.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 06:01 PM
Villager

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
I hope they find life.
Wouldn't that stir the scientific world!

Seems the moon would be the second phase towards galatic colonization. Question will be how a planet is divided...? Be it for mining interests or colonization ~ I suppose the two go hand in hand - a boom town scenario. BioDomes, etc.

Mars may be inhabitable at some point - when we figure FTL type research (NASA supposedly in the works on).

The moon as a colonization of miners and families that launch from their to drill baby drill astroids, etc.

I believe Mars and revealing it's past is a vital piece towards human survival.

If it isn't nukes, if it isn't Global Warming, if it isn't biological warfare that covers the globe... I believe we are looking at significant alterations in life as we know it within the next 100 years.

Mars is great to learn from - though really, the moon first - learning how to survive independent of the Earth I believe should be first.

My 2 cents on this. A great reality I believe everyone expected - though confirmation is another step for mankind, pardon the cliche.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 09:52 PM
Resident Anthropologist

I should clarify that I'm equally excited and horrified at all of this. Exploration is what humans do and it is this driving force that launched our ancestors from a rather minor species 2.5 million years ago to one that can leave the planet today. They survived through intelligence and that has been constantly selected for in our lineage non-stop. We have pretty much maxed out brain size (for reasons I can go into if anyone really wants to know) so we're probably not going to get much smarter. And then we take a look around and see what we have collectively brought our species to; what a pile of messes we have left on the planet! We've been so fucking excited ever since the first stone tool was made that we could affect the universe around us that we rarely stopped to think, I mean really think, about the long-term implications of our actions.

Most religions have made us complacent in this, I'm sorry to say. The idea of a sky-daddy who will put away our toys when we're done playing is an undeniably comforting one. But it never taught us responsibility for those things we have played with. Whatever is "accomplished" in going to Mars or the moon or anywhere else off our planet in the next century is bound to follow the same pattern that colonisation on this planet has always followed: Find it, get there, show up, disregard what or who is already there, envision the new place as a resource to be exploited using ways we've brought with us, wreck the balance that was already there even if we didn't see it or understand it in the first place, convert everything that was there to the way we do things, wonder why everything is gone/dying/polluted/poisoned 20 generations later, rinse, repeat.

It is sad but ultimately we have to do this in being human it seems. We just can't resist pushing the shiny red button whenever we see it. It inevitably seems to end in bad things for wherever we go though. Why is it that we can't learn from anything but hindsight? Hopefully, we can stop being human and start being something else, Homo renatus perhaps? or Homo humilitas even?