Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Aug 4th 2012, 03:18 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Are there homophobic animals other than humans?

Has there ever been recorded instances of homophobia in the non-human animal kingdom?
And if not, I wonder when homophobia emerged among humans.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Aug 5th 2012, 04:38 AM
shekib82 shekib82 is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,134
Default Re: Are there homophobic animals other than huma

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Has there ever been recorded instances of homophobia in the non-human animal kingdom?
And if not, I wonder when homophobia emerged among humans.
what about racial prejudice? does that exist in the animal kingdom? or religious intolerance?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Aug 5th 2012, 04:40 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Are there homophobic animals other than huma

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
what about racial prejudice? does that exist in the animal kingdom? or religious intolerance?
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Aug 5th 2012, 08:37 PM
Greendruid's Avatar
Greendruid Greendruid is offline
Resident Anthropologist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rural Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,628
Default Re: Are there homophobic animals other than huma

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Has there ever been recorded instances of homophobia in the non-human animal kingdom?
And if not, I wonder when homophobia emerged among humans.
My first question is how would you document/confirm that you had evidence of an instance of homophobia amongst other animals? In other words, how would you confirm the motivations for such an act to be considered one of homophobia?

And for the viewing pleasure of the forum ...



Two female bonobos having sex as a means to solidify a friendship bond. BTW, having sex front-to-front is unique to us, bonobos, and dolphins.

Last edited by Greendruid; Aug 5th 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Aug 5th 2012, 08:56 PM
Americano's Avatar
Americano Americano is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,614
Default Re: Are there homophobic animals other than huma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
My first question is how would you document/confirm that you had evidence of an instance of homophobia amongst other animals? In other words, how would you confirm the motivations for such an act to be considered one of homophobia?

And for the viewing pleasure of the forum ...



Two female bonobos having sex as a means to solidify a friendship bond. BTW, having sex front-to-front is unique to us, bonobos, and dolphins.
Do bonobos and dolphins engage in oral sex?
__________________
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
~H.L. Mencken~
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Aug 5th 2012, 10:37 PM
Greendruid's Avatar
Greendruid Greendruid is offline
Resident Anthropologist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rural Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,628
Default Re: Are there homophobic animals other than huma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Do bonobos and dolphins engage in oral sex?
Bonobos definitely do. I don't have a clue about dolphins and I suspect our observations of them are much less in-depth. Bonobos also engage in tongue kissing, frotting, and tribbing (basically what's shown in the picture). They also involve pre-pubescent members of their community in the non-penetrative forms of sexual resolution.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Aug 13th 2012, 06:08 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Are there homophobic animals other than huma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
My first question is how would you document/confirm that you had evidence of an instance of homophobia amongst other animals? In other words, how would you confirm the motivations for such an act to be considered one of homophobia?
The same way they always do - its called projection!

It works with just about any situation and is very efficient.

Heck, they use it in law cases to send people to jail for life.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Aug 14th 2012, 12:50 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Are there homophobic animals other than huma

I think we all know the answer to this question - humans are the most intelligent animal on the planet, but also the stupidest.

And that astonishing level of stupidity is why humans are the only animal that can be homophobic - that's how simple it is.

I bet that in the whole history of life on earth there has not been one single homophobic animal which wasn't a human being.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Aug 14th 2012, 05:56 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Are there homophobic animals other than huma

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I think we all know the answer to this question - humans are the most intelligent animal on the planet, but also the stupidest.
No, humans are not stupid and hardly the stupidest creature on the planet, not by a long shot.

What humans are is belligerent. We humans apparently like violence, bloodsport and causing pain in others. It is part of who and what we are.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Aug 29th 2012, 02:13 AM
rstones199's Avatar
rstones199 rstones199 is offline
Villager
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Orange County
Posts: 56
Default Re: Are there homophobic animals other than huma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
No, humans are not stupid and hardly the stupidest creature on the planet, not by a long shot.

What humans are is belligerent. We humans apparently like violence, bloodsport and causing pain in others. It is part of who and what we are.

The human race is inteligent. People are stupid. Think about it
__________________
rstones199 - The Voice Of Reason!

Religion: the final oppressive government that freedom and knowledge need to conquer.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com