Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 03:36 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Irving Oil to build new refinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewl View Post
The tar sands are not going to run out any time soon. These refineries could operate easily for 50 years. Hell, they are even talking about multiple nuclear plants to power the oil sands so as not to burn too much natural gas...


Andrew
That's a lovely spin the Alberta media is putting out there.

The nuke plants are intended as an attempt to reduce the massive carbon footprint of the project because as it stands now, it is illegal to import oil from tar-sands into California due to GHG emissions used to create the oil. I'd expect similar laws from Europe.

Burning massive amounts of GHG producing fossil fuels in order to produce more GHG producing fossil fuels is not a particularly viable plan, given the size of our GHG problem.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 03:40 PM
andrewl's Avatar
andrewl andrewl is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 426
Default Re: Irving Oil to build new refinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
That's a lovely spin the Alberta media is putting out there.

The nuke plants are intended as an attempt to reduce the massive carbon footprint of the project because as it stands now, it is illegal to import oil from tar-sands into California due to GHG emissions used to create the oil. I'd expect similar laws from Europe.

Burning massive amounts of GHG producing fossil fuels in order to produce more GHG producing fossil fuels is not a particularly viable plan, given the size of our GHG problem.
It would be hilarious if it weren't so sad.

Alberta will be the first place on the planet to employ nuclear power exclusively to produce oil. And at they same time they will put the green wash all over it.

Meanwhile i'll have two new refineries along the north Saskatchewan poisoning my drinking water.

Andrew
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 03:44 PM
Lasher Lasher is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 205
Default Re: Irving Oil to build new refinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
OED definition three for rape:

"The act of taking something by force; esp. the seizure of property by violent means; robbery, plundering. Also as a count noun: an instance of this, a robbery, a raid. Now rare (chiefly arch. and literary)."

Sorry I can't link that - university library proxy users only. Nonetheless, I do indeed equate the forceful taking of oil from the earth with rape as the definition supplies. Make no mistake, I would never believe that a nation should run on no source of energy. Be that my nation or yours. However, I also believe that the using up of sources of energy that cannot be replaced within the lifetime of the users is irresponsible management of a planet that none of us has the right to do. With great power comes great responsibility. We have so many sources of power that can be used that we ignore or classify as too cumbersome or not powerful enough. Amazing that we got this far for the last 90,000 years without a source of power like oil or coal until the last 500 years. You are quite right, you will cease to exist without oil. I won't.
Why won't you cease to exist without oil if Lasher does?

What are we to do with the billions of barrels of oil that lie in the ground if not use it up? Just keep it around for a keepsake? Your premise is akin to a starving family keeping what cash they have and not spending it on food because it's all the money they have. Foolish.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 04:05 PM
Lasher Lasher is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 205
Default Re: Irving Oil to build new refinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
I suggest you educate yourself on those subjects rather than using emotion and blind patriotism as talking points.



It doesn't sound like you're at all familiar with oil recovery operations.
You are correct, but is that a requisite for taking part in this discussion? If so, Lasher will stop commenting, but He does know for a fact that there are people in this world who like to make others think they are well-versed experts on arcane subjects that they really don't know all that much about. It is certain that Lasher isn't going to the trouble of investigating all the things you profess to know so much about, because His time is much more valuable than that, but as He stated before, He has a keen insight into the ways some folks use a little knowledge of something to try and impress others.

Lasher stands by His belief that all the silly furor over depleting petroleum deposits and the rest of "the sky is falling," "global warming," and other things that are used by liberals to frighten people into accepting their changes, are only figments of their collective imagination.

There is probably enough oil in America alone to furnish us with all we will need until other sources of energy are developed, even if it takes a century or more, but as long as liberals keep whining about the dreaded danger of nuclear power, and using the government to prevent exploration and production of the oil we have plenty of, we will certainly become a third-world nation and a shell of the once-greatest country on earth.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 04:19 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Irving Oil to build new refinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
There is probably enough oil in America alone to furnish us with all we will need until other sources of energy are developed, even if it takes a century or more, but as long as liberals keep whining about the dreaded danger of nuclear power, and using the government to prevent exploration and production of the oil we have plenty of, we will certainly become a third-world nation and a shell of the once-greatest country on earth.
US was the first nation to experience "peak oil" (back in the early 1980s). Everything known about "peak oil" comes from study of US oil production.

Btw, present US oil production makes up only a fraction of US domestic oil consumption. US oil production levels have been falling fairly steadily for decades (as predicted by peak oil theory).

USA would have a hard time just supplying California at present production levels.

Using all of the potential off-shore sources and AWR lands wouldn't actually change these facts at all.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 04:35 PM
Lasher Lasher is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 205
Default Re: Irving Oil to build new refinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
US was the first nation to experience "peak oil" (back in the early 1980s). Everything known about "peak oil" comes from study of US oil production.

Btw, present US oil production makes up only a fraction of US domestic oil consumption. US oil production levels have been falling fairly steadily for decades (as predicted by peak oil theory).

USA would have a hard time just supplying California at present production levels.

Using all of the potential off-shore sources and AWR lands wouldn't actually change these facts at all.
You shouldn't mention things like "peak oil" to Lasher without giving Him the definition of the term, because even though Lash is the brainiest one in here, He still doesn't possess all the world's knowledge. Lash is very aware that we don't supply all our oil needs, with Canada being one of our biggest suppliers, but that is due to the activities of the liberals who constantly work at preventing oil exploration and production of the vast supplies that we do have. Government regulation will be the death of us yet!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 04:50 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Irving Oil to build new refinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
You shouldn't mention things like "peak oil" to Lasher without giving Him the definition of the term, because even though Lash is the brainiest one in here, He still doesn't possess all the world's knowledge. Lash is very aware that we don't supply all our oil needs, with Canada being one of our biggest suppliers, but that is due to the activities of the liberals who constantly work at preventing oil exploration and production of the vast supplies that we do have. Government regulation will be the death of us yet!
If you don't know what peak oil theory is, you have no business commenting on issues pertaining to the oil production business.

And I discuss topics, I don't teach them. Try Google.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 05:23 PM
Lasher Lasher is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 205
Default Re: Irving Oil to build new refinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
If you don't know what peak oil theory is, you have no business commenting on issues pertaining to the oil production business.

And I discuss topics, I don't teach them. Try Google.
Well, excuse me!!! Why all the hatred, contempt and harsh words for Lasher? Has He done something to you that justifies all this childish enmity???
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 05:52 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Irving Oil to build new refinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
Well, excuse me!!! Why all the hatred, contempt and harsh words for Lasher? Has He done something to you that justifies all this childish enmity???
No enmity at all on my part.

I think I've been quite reasonable given your multiple provocations and insults to the membership.

And I repeat, if you want to discuss oil production, you really ought to know what peak oil theory is.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 07:22 PM
Americano's Avatar
Americano Americano is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,614
Default Re: Irving Oil to build new refinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Talk is cheap.

The return on investment for building an oil refinery is based on a fifty year lifespan of the plant.

That's why no one's building refineries. They may be profitable for the next ten or twenty years, but how does one earn profits 45 years from now with an oil refinery and no oil?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that no one in their right mind is going to invest in any new oil refineries right now.
China is. And they're concentrating on heavy crude refineries.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com