Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Mar 20th 2011, 10:58 PM
This wine needs more whisky

Default Re: Peak Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
well, Michael..aren't you so glad that I suggested that rollingeyes emoticon. And no, the US cannot have the exact same transportation system as Europe has, no matter how much you close your eyes and wish real hard.

And who is entitled to the so called American dream. I bet every person here drives their own damn personal vehicle. Seriously. It's like reading about celebrities who claim to be concerned with the environment all while owning ten suvs.
I drive a POS that is still in my mom's name and I'm lucky if I can afford the insurance on it. Pathetic I know
Old Mar 21st 2011, 04:37 AM
Villager

Quote:
It's like reading about celebrities who claim to be concerned with the environment all while owning ten suvs.
...and they're all parked next to their Prius.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:00 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
The public transportation in Europe is simply not possible in the US. oh, and I'm still waiting for Obama to build that railroad system.
He's working on it. Unfortunately, our piece of shit Republican governor just CANCELED the $400 million passenger rail investment that would have put 3c Passenger rail from Cleveland to Cincinnati (i.e. through Columbus).

But yeah, let's keep blaming the President.
Quote:
well, Michael..aren't you so glad that I suggested that rollingeyes emoticon. And no, the US cannot have the exact same transportation system as Europe has, no matter how much you close your eyes and wish real hard.
Who says we should have what Europe has. We're a different country. We should have our own fucking rail system.

Quote:
And who is entitled to the so called American dream. I bet every person here drives their own damn personal vehicle. Seriously. It's like reading about celebrities who claim to be concerned with the environment all while owning ten suvs.
Duh? How the hell else are we supposed to get around? For what it's worth, I drive a 16 year old Corolla that still gets 36mpg Highway. So I don't plan on getting lectured by anyone, thank you.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:52 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn8ter View Post
...and they're all parked next to their Prius.
In between the Benz and Roller?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:09 PM
Resident Anthropologist

I drive a new Korean sedan regularly for commuting and a mini-van for farm-work because eight 40kg bags of feed and 20 8' 2x4s don't fit in a Korean sedan without compromising the shocks. I live in a rural community with no bus, train or carpooling service available to my work place. The inner city has seriously polluted soil due to 100 years of a steel plant fired by coal. It did, at the time of the steel plants, have regularly running (four times daily) trains in and out of town and I could have walked to a train to get to work if that system was still functioning for passenger traffic. Unfortunately those lines only carry heating oil and coal now. One day, I hope to do some horse commuting but I'll have to get the president of the university to agree to build a stables first.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 05:28 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
I drive a POS that is still in my mom's name and I'm lucky if I can afford the insurance on it. Pathetic I know
I drive a small 1994 Nissan. But I did at one time own an suv-terrible I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
He's working on it. Unfortunately, our piece of shit Republican governor just CANCELED the $400 million passenger rail investment that would have put 3c Passenger rail from Cleveland to Cincinnati (i.e. through Columbus).
I'm waiting with baited breath.

Quote:
But yeah, let's keep blaming the President.
I don't blame the president. He's just a puppet.

Quote:
Who says we should have what Europe has. We're a different country. We should have our own fucking rail system.
A rail system that NO ONE would ride. Americans like cars. Besides, there's is too much urban sprawl. Let's say people did ride a train to get to work. They get off at the train stop and then what? Pay a taxi $20 bucks to get to their job. It's ludicrous. No one will ride the fucking trains.

Quote:
Duh? How the hell else are we supposed to get around? For what it's worth, I drive a 16 year old Corolla that still gets 36mpg Highway. So I don't plan on getting lectured by anyone, thank you.
Duh is right. People need cars, not a damn railway system.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 06:10 PM
Official Forum Mascot

So are we ignoring the part that Republican governors are canceling the President's plans to bring rail to the US?

You're waiting, with baited breath no less, for a system that you think nobody will use.

Tell me, do people use the subways in DC? (Hint, they do). So no, if we had good rail here, people WOULDN'T need to call a taxi after getting off the train. Why the fuck would you say that? Have you ever ridden a good train system?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 07:14 PM
Misanthrope

Rail systems work in cities-not with urban sprawl. I assume you understand what urban sprawl means.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 07:33 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Rail systems work in cities-not with urban sprawl. I assume you understand what urban sprawl means.
Toronto's sprawling suburbs are served by several commuter rail lines. The rail lines connect with the city's subway/bus network for optimal efficiency. Several hundred thousand people per day ride the commuter trains (a million a day ride the subway system).

London and Paris also have fantastic integrated systems for rail and subway networks.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 08:20 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Chill on the condescension, homeskillet. I live in a very sprawled suburban-tropolis. What little commuter rail we have is used frequently. There would be plenty of room for more.

Also, have you BEEN to DC? People ride the trains in from dozens of outlying cities. Face it, trains work. Leave your obsessive anti-Obama bullshit at the goddamn door for a second.

Furthermore, passenger rail would be good not just for daily commutes. Especially with the rising cost of fuel, air travel is becoming extremely expensive and out of reach again. I would love to take a train out west, for instance. Or to Columbus next Thursday when I have to be there for a meeting. It would be happening right now if it weren't for Republican obstinance.