Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:07 AM
World Citizen

Default Re: Literal isn’t Lazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye View Post
Re : the Ehrlenmeyer flask analogy.

A comparison with itself to a human brain is rather interesting. And comparing a chemical reaction to the way in which we process language is likewise.

However, none of us are working with clean labware. Both the flask and the brain are contaminated.

No one conducting such experiments can hypothesize accurately on either outcome.
So when you say something you don't expect a reaction? I mean, when I say "oh, I'm doing well, you?" I don't expect the response to be "JESUS FUCK! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?"

Please, what makes you think our lab equipment isn't clean? More importantly, if you think it is unclean, why aren't you striving to make it as clean as you can get it?

For a good time call Judges 19:24-30
Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:14 AM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot View Post
So when you say something you don't expect a reaction? I mean, when I say "oh, I'm doing well, you?" I don't expect the response to be "JESUS FUCK! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?"

Please, what makes you think our lab equipment isn't clean? More importantly, if you think it is unclean, why aren't you striving to make it as clean as you can get it?
I dunno what you're trying to prove here in this thread Margot.

Just because something exhibit causal effect relation, does not mean it is science. Even scientology and dianetics exhibit certain causal effect relations- simply go take one of their "stress tests" off the streets by your nearest mall. They have all kinds of impressive theories about your life.

Just because speech, or language use, has a causal effect relation with the interlocutors' epistemic status, does not make it science. The criterion for science are set far higher as it is nowadays, but somehow yours remain in the bronze age. The claim just doesn't hold water.

Ernesto 'Che' Guevara

Last edited by WFCY; Aug 7th 2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:37 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFCY View Post
I dunno what you're trying to prove here in this thread Margot.

Just because something exhibit causal effect relation, does not mean it is science. Even scientology and dianetics exhibit certain causal effect relations- simply go take one of their "stress tests" off the streets by your nearest mall. They have all kinds of impressive theories about your life.

Just because speech, or language use, has a causal effect relation with the interlocutors' epistemic status, does not make it science. The criterion for science are set far higher as it is nowadays, but somehow yours remain in the bronze age. The claim just doesn't hold water.
wakka curvy necrophilia.. .rUnning running Runnin!!!!g liceeggs ofc frisky

I beg to differ. If you think that my science takes you back to the bronze age, your view of language takes you back into the trees (flinging poo, is, of course, still your prerogative).

Also, seems you still haven't answered my question.

Old Aug 7th 2010, 01:53 AM
Villager

Quote:
Re : the Ehrlenmeyer flask analogy.

A comparison with itself to a human brain is rather interesting. And comparing a chemical reaction to the way in which we process language is likewise.

However, none of us are working with clean labware. Both the flask and the brain are contaminated.

No one conducting such experiments can hypothesize accurately on either outcome.
Quote:

Of course I expect a reaction !
What that reaction is, however, remains beyond my control.

Our labware is contaminated simply by our having individual & unique experiences which shaped us into who we are. That cannot be undone.

Those experiences shape how we interpret stimuli.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:45 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Of course I expect a reaction !
What that reaction is, however, remains beyond my control.

Our labware is contaminated simply by our having individual & unique experiences which shaped us into who we are. That cannot be undone.

Those experiences shape how we interpret stimuli.
Cultures of bacteria do not respond to stimuli in exactly the same way as one another. Does that change the stimuli?

Old Aug 7th 2010, 03:04 PM
Bad Motherfucker

I've put off my reply to this thread for too long, but here it is...

Language = natural process
Linguistics = science

Just that simple. Hell, I didn't even quote some boring asshole.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 04:37 PM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
I've put off my reply to this thread for too long, but here it is...

Language = natural process
Linguistics = science

Just that simple. Hell, I didn't even quote some boring asshole.
just did for you.

welcome

Ernesto 'Che' Guevara
Old Aug 7th 2010, 07:49 PM
Villager

Quote:
Cultures of bacteria do not respond to stimuli in exactly the same way as one another. Does that change the stimuli?
You're just not getting it.

Whether one compares the human mind to a flask, or now to bacteria, the result is the same. No two are alike.

And yes, the dis-similar responses do change the stimuli.
The stimuli changes in an attempt to elicit the preferred response.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 08:43 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
You're just not getting it.

Whether one compares the human mind to a flask, or now to bacteria, the result is the same. No two are alike.

And yes, the dis-similar responses do change the stimuli.
The stimuli changes in an attempt to elicit the preferred response.
No, I get you clearly (mostly). I think you're wrong (entirely).

Does the dissimilar response change the stimuli, or does the stimuli change to elicit the response? You're saying two different things. Do you mean to?

"The stimuli changes in an attempt to elicit the preferred response" seems to indicate that you believe language to have a will of its own outside of its use as a tool by speakers. Is this true? Or are you considering the person to be the stimuli? This is fine, and valid, but not to this argument. "Language" is the noun we're aiming for, not "person."

Please give me an example of when a tool changes its inherent nature to elicit the response desired by the researcher. I'm seriously curious!

Old Aug 8th 2010, 01:38 PM
Villager

Quote:
No, I get you clearly (mostly). I think you're wrong (entirely).

Does the dissimilar response change the stimuli, or does the stimuli change to elicit the response? You're saying two different things. Do you mean to?
Yes and yes.

If the identical use of language produces dis-similar results, the material & methods ( input ) must be revised to achieve conforming results. That is the definition of a successful science experiment after all - repeatable results.

And since this " experiment " is being conducted upon humans, I do not believe than any amount of revisions will be able to produce conforming results. Sure, we have tendencies, but nowhere near 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot
"The stimuli changes in an attempt to elicit the preferred response" seems to indicate that you believe language to have a will of its own outside of its use as a tool by speakers. Is this true? Or are you considering the person to be the stimuli? This is fine, and valid, but not to this argument. "Language" is the noun we're aiming for, not "person."

Please give me an example of when a tool changes its inherent nature to elicit the response desired by the researcher. I'm seriously curious!
A person's choice of words will, by necessity, change to suit the audience.

Language is akin to a bullit leaving a gun. Once it exits, control is lost. Sure, one knows what was intended but again how an audience receives the input is unknowable to the speaker.

Does one speak to a 3 year old the same as he or she speaks to a 33 year old ? I would hope not.

Does the environment in which one is conversing affect the choice of one's words ? I would hope so.

Language is not only a hammer, and our minds are not only a nail.