Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Science

Science From your kid's science project to relativity, this is the place to discuss it.

Old Jun 28th 2010, 07:13 AM
Citizen

Default Re: Eminent Mass Destruction- evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
We are definitely due for a pandemic of some kind. It statistically happens every century. The last serious pandemic was the Spanish Flu.
It really depends.

I find it very likely that we are due for a pandemic. Our hardon for the use of antibiotics, chemical agents like soap and ease of transport makes it very likely that an opportunist, drug-resistant strain of bacteria or virus can hit hard and unexpectedly.

The H1N1 pandemic didn't live up to the more sinister expectations. Unfortunately, perhaps? While the efforts proved that we are getting better at proactively combatting new crowd diseases, the anticlimatic outcome of the H1N1 pandemic could make us more vulnerable the next time around. "Wolf, wolf", and that. Still, technological and scientific advances the last 20 years makes it hard to predict where we'll be in another 20.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 07:38 AM
Misanthrope

The over use of antibioltics is most damaging, it seems. I have never given my kids antibiotics..yet. When my daughter has gotten sick, I did not take her to the doctor right away, but I try to let her body fight it for a couple of days before considering taking her to the doctor. My son is only 3 months, but he is very healthy. Both of my kids have also been breastfed which is key, I think. Anyhow, with less people breastfeeding, and more people over using antibiotics, things could get worse.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 08:00 AM
Citizen

Quote:
The over use of antibioltics is most damaging, it seems. I have never given my kids antibiotics..yet. When my daughter has gotten sick, I did not take her to the doctor right away, but I try to let her body fight it for a couple of days before considering taking her to the doctor. My son is only 3 months, but he is very healthy. Both of my kids have also been breastfed which is key, I think. Anyhow, with less people breastfeeding, and more people over using antibiotics, things could get worse.
Absolutely. What's really unfair is that the overuse of antibiotics won't lead to diseases that discriminate based on who has used more. It's one big collective breeding ground for resistant strains, that, I suspect, eventually will lead to the emergence of a new strain we do not possess means to handle. Kind of like the infinite amount of chimps on typewriters. A naturally healthy immune system can mean nothing when faced with something completely foreign.

Imagine a modern pandemic analogous to the arrival of Eurasian crowd diseases in the new world.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 08:49 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplum View Post
Absolutely. What's really unfair is that the overuse of antibiotics won't lead to diseases that discriminate based on who has used more. It's one big collective breeding ground for resistant strains, that, I suspect, eventually will lead to the emergence of a new strain we do not possess means to handle. Kind of like the infinite amount of chimps on typewriters. A naturally healthy immune system can mean nothing when faced with something completely foreign.

Imagine a modern pandemic analogous to the arrival of Eurasian crowd diseases in the new world.
Que a rise in epicurianism and stocism.

Those two trends rose up both times society was faced with similar systemic challenges to the survival of society (3rd/4th century AD and again in the 14th century AD).
Old Jun 28th 2010, 08:57 AM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Que a rise in epicurianism and stocism.

Those two trends rose up both times society was faced with similar systemic challenges to the survival of society (3rd/4th century AD and again in the 14th century AD).
I would love to read about this, if you know a good site for it online. I guess these qualify as paradigm shifts. We could probably use one right about now. Preferably without millions upon millions suffering to get there, but that's unlikely.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 09:14 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I would love to read about this, if you know a good site for it online. I guess these qualify as paradigm shifts. We could probably use one right about now. Preferably without millions upon millions suffering to get there, but that's unlikely.
They are not very interesting at all as they are philosophic schools of escapism.

In the 3rd/4th century, Rome was collapsing and barbarian invaders were threatening to overrun the Empire. Instead of rising to the challenge, Roman society retreated into private pleasures and abandoned engagement with civil society.

Same thing happened in the 14th century when the plague hit. Instead of spuring science to address the problem, society turned inward and retreated into theology (private salvation) and capitalism (private profit).

These are not noble trends. They are escapist. I'm merely predicting that similar 'existential' challenges to our current society will likely spur the same response of withdrawl and hedonism.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:04 AM
Citizen

Quote:
They are not very interesting at all as they are philosophic schools of escapism.

In the 3rd/4th century, Rome was collapsing and barbarian invaders were threatening to overrun the Empire. Instead of rising to the challenge, Roman society retreated into private pleasures and abandoned engagement with civil society.

Same thing happened in the 14th century when the plague hit. Instead of spuring science to address the problem, society turned inward and retreated into theology (private salvation) and capitalism (private profit).

These are not noble trends. They are escapist. I'm merely predicting that similar 'existential' challenges to our current society will likely spur the same response of withdrawl and hedonism.
I'm ignorant of history. For some reason I thought you meant people turned to reason during those times.

I'm not quite as pessimistic. I really believe the scientific community will work to address an emerging crisis.

On the other hand, they (we? ) will probably be met with a collective "fuck off" from politicians and the general public in line with your prediction.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:44 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:

As usual, everyone suffers from the actions of a few. There's no doubt that Big Pharma pushes the over use of anti biotics. When my daughter developed a minor skin condition, the doctor automatically wanted to put her on a very potent prescription used by asthma patients. I said no.

Quote:

Excellent point about escapism. I never considered that before..
Old Jun 28th 2010, 08:26 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
As usual, everyone suffers from the actions of a few. There's no doubt that Big Pharma pushes the over use of anti biotics. When my daughter developed a minor skin condition, the doctor automatically wanted to put her on a very potent prescription used by asthma patients. I said no.
You're not the general public. An MD friend related how most mothers demand antibiotics for everything from the sniffles to a runny nose. Two primary motivations; working mothers who need the pass for day care purposes and mothers who simply detest the inconvenience of a sick child. Even though it's carefully explained to them that antibiotics require time to become effective, many demand them or threaten to use a different physician to get it.

Quote:
Excellent point about escapism. I never considered that before..
Old Jun 29th 2010, 06:01 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
You're not the general public. An MD friend related how most mothers demand antibiotics for everything from the sniffles to a runny nose. Two primary motivations; working mothers who need the pass for day care purposes and mothers who simply detest the inconvenience of a sick child. Even though it's carefully explained to them that antibiotics require time to become effective, many demand them or threaten to use a different physician to get it.
They're idiots. Plain and simple.