Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old Jul 9th 2010, 03:22 PM
JHC's Avatar
JHC JHC is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: under the delphiniums blue and geraniums red
Posts: 581
Default Re: The War on The War on Weeds


I thought I'd pop in this morning to see if there was anything new. "The War on the War on Weeds", hey, that sounds good.

I'm sorry I wandered off.

Mom grows hot peppers and makes a spray from them to keep garden pests away and to keep neighbor kitties out.

Weed pulling, where it's done, is done by hand. Raised beds and solid boarders help.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Jul 9th 2010, 07:23 PM
Americano's Avatar
Americano Americano is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,614
Default Re: The War on The War on Weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHC View Post

I thought I'd pop in this morning to see if there was anything new. "The War on the War on Weeds", hey, that sounds good.

I'm sorry I wandered off.

Mom grows hot peppers and makes a spray from them to keep garden pests away and to keep neighbor kitties out.
I like neem oil diluted in water with a couple of drops of liquid soap.

Quote:
Weed pulling, where it's done, is done by hand. Raised beds and solid boarders help.
__________________
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
~H.L. Mencken~
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Jul 10th 2010, 12:57 AM
JHC's Avatar
JHC JHC is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: under the delphiniums blue and geraniums red
Posts: 581
Default Re: The War on The War on Weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
I like neem oil diluted in water with a couple of drops of liquid soap.
Do you grow the neem trees or is it too wet out there?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Jul 10th 2010, 09:49 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: The War on The War on Weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHC View Post

I thought I'd pop in this morning to see if there was anything new.
We always enjoy your sporadic visits and we hope you are keeping well.

(and yes, that's the 'royal we' I tend to emply when I speak on behalf of the forum! )
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Jul 10th 2010, 09:56 AM
Americano's Avatar
Americano Americano is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,614
Default Re: The War on The War on Weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHC View Post
Do you grow the neem trees or is it too wet out there?
The neem oil and powder used in my area are imported as processed goods from India and other countries. Due to the often wet spring climate here powdery mildew is a serious problem and neem oil the best organic solution found to date for fungus and leaf eating/sucking insects. Garlic and hot pepper based remedies are also used by some personal gardeners but lack the fast action and effectiveness of neem byproducts.
__________________
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
~H.L. Mencken~
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Jul 10th 2010, 04:33 PM
JHC's Avatar
JHC JHC is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: under the delphiniums blue and geraniums red
Posts: 581
Default Re: The War on The War on Weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
The neem oil and powder used in my area are imported as processed goods from India and other countries. Due to the often wet spring climate here powdery mildew is a serious problem and neem oil the best organic solution found to date for fungus and leaf eating/sucking insects. Garlic and hot pepper based remedies are also used by some personal gardeners but lack the fast action and effectiveness of neem byproducts.
Mom and I were going to grow our own neem tree. There is an organization called Echo that sells the seeds for all kinds of edible plants and plants useful for growing food. They sold mom the seeds and the result is a beautiful deciduous small tree with long tendrils of yellow blossoms - but not a neem tree.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Jul 10th 2010, 05:38 PM
Americano's Avatar
Americano Americano is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,614
Default Re: The War on The War on Weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHC View Post
Mom and I were going to grow our own neem tree. There is an organization called Echo that sells the seeds for all kinds of edible plants and plants useful for growing food. They sold mom the seeds and the result is a beautiful deciduous small tree with long tendrils of yellow blossoms - but not a neem tree.
It is an interesting tree useful in a wide variety of ways. You can buy a living 1.5' neem tree for $24.95. I prefer just opening a container of the cold-pressed oil, but have ordered some neem kernel (seed) I'll grind into a powder and use in an AACT tea as a foliar and drench application.
__________________
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
~H.L. Mencken~
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com