Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Jun 29th 2011, 04:44 PM
Citizen

Default Re: Peak Oil: A Chance to Change the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I very much disagree with Andrew in terms of methodology, but in fairness I think he is more interested in beating these people to a pulp because of the destruction they commit against the environment.

Well, that particular method i don't think would be very effective, to be honest. That was an emotional response because it makes me feel angry.

My overarching point here is only that if we are serious about addressing the issue should we not at least consider the possibility of violence given that those we wish to stop rely heavily on violence themselves. Another way to ask this is should the state/corporations have a monopoly on violence? How could we ever hope to stop them if we grant the use of violence only to those who have shown no regard for the earth's life support systems and would use that violence to stop anybody from getting in their way.

Why do we have to be so civil about it all? Most especially since we know that civility has been so ineffective on this issue. Hell, the deniers, republican party, and interest groups have the scientists and activists severely beaten already as they gave up on civility a long time ago.

Check out this statement released today by the AAAS:

http://www.aaas.org/news/releases/20..._statement.pdf

Andrew

-George Orwell