Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:51 AM
Globetrotter

Default English football this season

It's nearing the end of the season, and Man U are probably going to win it.
It will be interesting to see who will get into the Champions League, Tottenham or Man City. If Man City fail to get in, then Roberto Mancini should be sacked. All the money to spend, and not managing to get into the Premier League??? Rubbish.
Newcastle have done brilliantly, when you think how little money they've spent, and as they are my team, I am very proud of them. We got relegated 2 years ago, but we went straight back up, and, as stated, have done very well indeed, despite not spending much on players. In fact, we sold our best player (Andy Carroll) for a very large sum of money indeed, 35 million).

Does anyone else have any comments about football (or soccer for Americans, Canadians or posh people).
Old Apr 21st 2011, 02:16 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: English football this season

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post

Does anyone else have any comments about football (or soccer for Americans, Canadians or posh people).
Not really. All I know is that I have a friend who is a big Tottenham fan, and they are kind of underdogs (right?) so I guess I'm hoping they win.

Plus "Hotspur" is a pretty cool name for a rooster.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 05:35 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
It's nearing the end of the season, and Man U are probably going to win it.
It will be interesting to see who will get into the Champions League, Tottenham or Man City. If Man City fail to get in, then Roberto Mancini should be sacked. All the money to spend, and not managing to get into the Premier League??? Rubbish.
Newcastle have done brilliantly, when you think how little money they've spent, and as they are my team, I am very proud of them. We got relegated 2 years ago, but we went straight back up, and, as stated, have done very well indeed, despite not spending much on players. In fact, we sold our best player (Andy Carroll) for a very large sum of money indeed, 35 million).

I like soccer, but I only follow the new North American "Major League Soccer" league. I also follow World Cup soccer too, but I'm not much of a sports fan, so I don't follow any European football.

Btw, Toronto's soccer team is called "Toronto Football Club" (Toronto FC) in keeping with the European tradition.

2nd Btw, what's with the comment about "posh people"? Certainly us North Americans call the sport "soccer" because of American football. Do "posh people" call it "soccer" who are not American/Canadian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Plus "Hotspur" is a pretty cool name for a rooster.
Do you know who the original Hotspur is? He was a real/historical person, though probably best known as a character in Shakespeare's Henry V play.

Hotspur was the last of the original male bloodline of the Percy Earls of Northumbria.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 06:02 PM
Official Forum Mascot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Hotspur_Percy

That guy?

Boooo England. Gooo Scotland!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 07:07 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Hotspur_Percy

That guy?

Boooo England. Gooo Scotland!
That would be him. A rather 'colorful' character. I consider him a disgrace to the great Percy dynasty.