Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Apr 3rd 2011, 01:41 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Russians invented baseball

You and most of the world. I don't think most folks in the US quite understand how the rest of the world feels about soccer.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 09:29 AM
Official Forum Lutheran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
You and most of the world. I don't think most folks in the US quite understand how the rest of the world feels about soccer.
Lord knows i don't get it...
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:11 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
Vicarious spectator sport participation. As close as they'll get to the real thing in any popular sport driven by spectator revenue.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 02:16 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
It's quite simple (I don't know if Americano means what I mean). Two biggest sports here are hockey and football ('soccer'). Hockey is a lot more expensive, because you have to buy all sorts of equipment, sticks, pads, etc. And for the street teams, that mostly happens in cold climates, in Northern parts of the country, where there is snow and ice year-round. All you need for football is a ball and a field of grass. So, everybody plays, everybody watches. Doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, your children can participate. It unites the whole country, when the national team plays.

Euro 2008, prime example. When Andrei Arshavin scored the winning goal and the national team made it into the semi-finals past Holland, first time in our history; the whole country went crazy,

Moscow

Vladikavkaz, North Ossetia-Alania

(2 Ossetians on national team )

Kazan, Tatarstan

(1 Tatar on the team)

Ulan-Ude, Buryatia

Vladivostok

and even ice-cold Magadan, where it was -50 degrees Celsius that day

all came out to celebrate. In Moscow alone nearly two million people partied in the streets. Amazing time. Didn't win in semi-finals, but who can, against Spain Was still good. When Arshavin returned to his native Saint Petersburg, a huge crowd surrounded the airplane, and they carried him through the airport, past the customs and all, the security people didn't bother with that, obviously. The Northern Capital welcomed back its hero

And Roman Pavlyuchenko of Stavropol krai (who had since been nominated and elected member of regional legislature there, apparently without even his knowledge)

has had to change his home and mobile phone numbers a dozen times: after the numbers were repeatedly leaked on the internet by some hacker-joker, girls from all over the country and some even from other former Soviet Republics kept phoning him, proposing their love, even marriage. True story

That's how much we love our football. lol
Old Apr 4th 2011, 02:42 PM
Official Forum Mascot

It can be a great unifier. (Also a great divider, as you've spoken to before.)
Old Apr 4th 2011, 04:36 PM
Official Forum Lutheran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Vicarious spectator sport participation. As close as they'll get to the real thing in any popular sport driven by spectator revenue.
Oh I understand why spectator sports are fun (and i am not quite as cynical about them as you are) I just don't get why people think soccer/football is fun
Old Apr 4th 2011, 04:47 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Oh I understand why spectator sports are fun (and i am not quite as cynical about them as you are) I just don't get why people think soccer/football is fun
ALL sports can be fun.

My muscles are sore because this weekend I spent two hours playing high intensity FourSquare.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 05:16 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
It has a lot to do with the fact that it is a democratic sport. Like basketball, it is cheap and available to everyone all over the world.

Hockey, American football and baseball are all about buying specialized equipment in order to play the game and then paying for the specialized field/arena rental. Thus, these are middle class sports by definition.

Soccer is the only professional-team sport that I'll watch these days. The lack of referees stopping and restarting the game every 15 seconds definitely has something to do with it for me.