Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:20 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: From Motown to Hoetown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
Sounds like a good idea on paper, but I don't think it will be that easy. Actually, it would be better for the country as a whole to get back to its roots and learn (know) how to be self-sufficient.

This is somewhat off the topic and possibly shallow sounding to some, but if this does happen what would happen to the forms of revenue the city brings in from their major sports teams? I know there isn't much in Detroit, but what team is going to want to set up in farmland?
Guys, guys.

Urban agriculture, or agricultural reclaiming of urban land is far from "farmland."
Old Oct 29th 2009, 01:48 PM
This wine needs more whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
No city ever earns a nickel from hosting a sports team. Rather, the question is, how much does it cost the taxpayer?

Sports facilities never pay property tax and most of them demand all kinds of other tax concessions/benefits from the host city (such as the land for their stadiums being free, etc). Any sales tax revenue from the sale of tickets or trinkets goes to the state, not the city.

So how does any city profit from hosting a team?

(US professional sports is as far from a free market as one can get - there are all kinds of public subsidies that are required to create the present US sports market - College Football is notorious for being a multi-billion dollar private enterprise that is 100% tax exempt).
Is there not some money that is brought in for people staying in hotels/motels?...eating in restaurants?...or even hitting up tourist attractions? Just curious
Old Oct 30th 2009, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Is there not some money that is brought in for people staying in hotels/motels?...eating in restaurants?...or even hitting up tourist attractions? Just curious
Sure, and all that revenue goes to private interests. As for hotels/motels, that's a non-starter since 99% of sport venues draw their audience from within 50 miles.

And the 'city government' usually gets nothing anyway.

Professional sport in the USA is a classic example of socializing costs and privatizing profits (and pretending its a free market). There is zero economic development associated with pro sports. Indeed, there are arguments that suggest that sports venues may kill property values nearby (or prevent commerical developments in the neighborhood) which makes them an even bigger drain on public tax revenue.

In other words, if your town/city has economic troubles, bringing in a pro sports team is far more likely to make the problems worse than better. Hosting pro sports is a luxury government expense (albeit, a fairly popular one).

Indeed, one of the most annoying things in Canadian politics is the never-ending demands from pro sports teams DEMANDING the same tax subsidies and tax benefits that similar sports teams get in the USA. Canadian pro sports teams don't get half the tax subsidies that US pro sport teams get (and they all whine about this constantly).

Btw, US College Football and College Basketball are probably the most heavily subsidized - they are allowed to compete as private enterprises (selling tickets, merchandise and television rights) yet they have tax-exempt status as "educational institutions".
Old Oct 31st 2009, 09:48 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Sure, and all that revenue goes to private interests. As for hotels/motels, that's a non-starter since 99% of sport venues draw their audience from within 50 miles.

And the 'city government' usually gets nothing anyway.
Nothing but a new spike in LE cost (game schedules), expanded road maintenance and lower tax revenue from from the property surrounding mostly ugly stadiums.

Quote:
Professional sport in the USA is a classic example of socializing costs and privatizing profits (and pretending its a free market). There is zero economic development associated with pro sports. Indeed, there are arguments that suggest that sports venues may kill property values nearby (or prevent commerical developments in the neighborhood) which makes them an even bigger drain on public tax revenue.

In other words, if your town/city has economic troubles, bringing in a pro sports team is far more likely to make the problems worse than better. Hosting pro sports is a luxury government expense (albeit, a fairly popular one).

Indeed, one of the most annoying things in Canadian politics is the never-ending demands from pro sports teams DEMANDING the same tax subsidies and tax benefits that similar sports teams get in the USA. Canadian pro sports teams don't get half the tax subsidies that US pro sport teams get (and they all whine about this constantly).

Btw, US College Football and College Basketball are probably the most heavily subsidized - they are allowed to compete as private enterprises (selling tickets, merchandise and television rights) yet they have tax-exempt status as "educational institutions".
That's how Bush43 made his big money. Daddy sent the boys in to develop a pro franchise on public land with the kid as the public image.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 03:24 AM
World Citizen

When I first read this title, I thought it might be something about certain record labels' move from R&B to rap and hip hop over the past years. Then, I wondered why it would be in the Environment forum, and wondered if someone misspelled "ho." Wouldn't be a bad title for an article on the subject, though.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 09:20 AM
This wine needs more whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
When I first read this title, I thought it might be something about certain record labels' move from R&B to rap and hip hop over the past years. Then, I wondered why it would be in the Environment forum, and wondered if someone misspelled "ho." Wouldn't be a bad title for an article on the subject, though.
I thought the same thing. All those genres of music have gone to pot. Such a waste.

Anyways...could I cheat on you, call you my bitch (even though I love you), and pour Cristal on your nice, tight ass? C'mon, baby you can't resist the chain 'round my neck.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:17 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I thought the same thing. All those genres of music have gone to pot. Such a waste.

Anyways...could I cheat on you, call you my bitch (even though I love you), and pour Cristal on your nice, tight ass? C'mon, baby you can't resist the chain 'round my neck.
If Detroit dwellers have to farm to exist those lyrics will become their religion.