Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > War and Conflict

War and Conflict UN, NATO, Iraq, Afghanistan, War on Terror, Israel & Palestine, and all international political conflicts.

Old Jan 5th 2017, 04:35 PM
Resident Historian

Default Re: All they are saying is, Give War a Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
It's the same objection I have about the US and England liberating Iran from it's democracy in 1953...
http://www.911review.com/precedent/century/ajax.html

..and the same objection I would have if the Iraqis came over here to liberate us from Donald Trump. It's none of our business.

But, beyond that, if you think that that the US powers-that-be actually mean well and care about Iraqis I suggest you read Freeing the World to Death by William Blum.
But ISIS isn't a democracy like Iran was, it's a hyper-intolerant, genocidal, theocracy which doesn't even pretend to care whether the people it rules over support it or not. Do you really not see a difference there?

And ISIS didn't win an election in Mosul, they took it by invading and killing/torturing/banishing anyone who opposed them and they were quite up front about all this. You really don't see a difference between that and the peaceful transition of power following a democratic election in the US?

In Mosul, the internationally recognized, quasi-democratically elected government is trying to take back one of their own cities from domination by an obscenely bloodthirsty, absolutely theocratic, terrorist organization which is happily claiming responsibility for the mass murder of civilians throughout Europe and in the United States. Given that (1) US actions helped created ISIS in the first place, (2) the legal Iraqi government wants our help in getting them out of Mosul, and (3) ISIS is proudly and explicitly declaring that it is murdering our people and the people of our allies, how exactly is this "not our business"?

I'd think that this situation checks all the boxes for a justifiable deployment of force if ever one did. Especially since the "force" in this situation amounts to all of about 500 guys.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 08:22 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Default Re: All they are saying is, Give War a Chance

So far, same old same old:
http://news.antiwar.com/2017/01/22/y...s-under-trump/