Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Ctrl+V

http://didglennbeckrapeandmurderayounggirlin1990.com/
Old Nov 12th 2009, 05:48 PM
Official Forum Geek

http://cookcountyassessor.com/ExemptOnline/ExemptOnline.aspx?Pin={edited}

----

I have been waging an ongoing and epic battle with the property tax assessing outfit in my county. I have never encountered such a startlingly incompetent organization. They mailed me a bill with a basic math error at one of the steps in the incredibly convoluted property tax calculation process. This basic math error will cost me almost $1000 if nothing is done. Yet, nobody there seems to view this math error as an indication that there is anything wrong with my tax bill. They sound like some low level tech support outfit - if you don't know why there is an error, make something up and hope the person you're talking to is confused enough to leave you alone.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 05:49 PM
Official Forum Geek

2. Calculate 2008 Adjusted Base EAV
2006 Base EAV 44,546
2007 Adjusted EAV (2006 increased by 7%) 37,964
2008 Adjusted EAV (2007 increased by 7%) 51,001

----

That is now in the copy buffer because I'm creating a record of my conversations and the bill (though pasting it here is gratuitously continuing my last post).

Anyone else notice that 37,694*1.07 doesn't seem to be $51,001?

You can't make this shit up. I hate our local government with every fiber of my being.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 08:03 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
2. Calculate 2008 Adjusted Base EAV
2006 Base EAV 44,546
2007 Adjusted EAV (2006 increased by 7%) 37,964
2008 Adjusted EAV (2007 increased by 7%) 51,001

----

That is now in the copy buffer because I'm creating a record of my conversations and the bill (though pasting it here is gratuitously continuing my last post).

Anyone else notice that 37,694*1.07 doesn't seem to be $51,001?

You can't make this shit up. I hate our local government with every fiber of my being.
But 44,546*1.07*1.07 does equal 51,001
Old Nov 12th 2009, 08:12 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
But 44,546*1.07*1.07 does equal 51,001
I saw that too (this is part of what I was trying to explain to dozens of different people - my claim was that the first entry was an error, and it was being propagated through for the last entry, though it hadn't for 2007).

I finally talked to a competent person! I had to cajole an employee at another branch into giving me her supervisor's direct number. The supervisor was helpful.

As it turns out, the error is purely in how they display (and convey) the information. That is, the 2007 figure is correct, but the way they say to calculate it is not. It's a long, annoying story, but at the end of the day, my only recourse is at the ballot box. The competent person I talked to was closing up for the day, so we spent a few minutes chatting, and he was explaining how this works and how people in our county get royally hosed by realtors and legislators.

The long and short of it is that property taxes increase so exorbitantly that they implement all of these complex caps and band-aids to artificially lower them. So, the longer you live in your home, the larger the disparity between the tax you actually pay and the tax that you theoretically should have to pay. But... when the homes are listed on the market, what is actually listed for tax payments is what current owner pays. So, if the owner has been there a long time and property taxes are $300 per month, you can assume that yours would be $500 per month or more. But, no one explains this to prospective buyers. The other kicker is that there is effectively a 1-2 year lag on this kicking in because you pay the prior year's taxes in each calendar year.

So, the competent man explained to me, it is not uncommon for young couples in my county to buy a home with a low-ish advertised tax rate from a senior citizen that's lived there a long time, be happy for 2 years, and then go bankrupt because their property taxes shoot up by hundreds of dollars per month out of nowhere. In my case, previous owner bought in 2003, and I can afford the $75 per month increase. I suppose I'm lucky. I've talked to a real estate attorney that wasn't aware of this "gotcha" - it's cleverly buried beneath incompetence and convoluted math for which few have the stomach.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 09:39 PM
Globetrotter

Sounds like a Chicago deal. Al Capone would be proud.

My county has a 3% annual maximum property tax increase. It can be deferred through disability or senior citizen status at a 6% simple interest rate until the property legally changes hands.

That lien against the property has to be disclosed by the seller prior to escrow closing on a sale. All transactions include funds directed from the seller proceeds side to release the lien.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 10:14 PM
Official Forum Mascot

(303): I just spread your mom's ashes with my new girlfriend. I wouldve waited for you to fly home but she was uncomfortable in the house with her remains there. I'll mail you the urn since u handpainted it.
(510): YOU HAVE A GIRLFRIEND ALREADY!?! WTF WE JUST HAD HER FUNERAL 3 WEEKS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 12th 2009, 11:01 PM
World Citizen

(757): DUDE. I'm missing my big toenail. My bed has blood all over it. WHAT DID WE DO LAST NIGHT?
(703): I don't know, but I chipped my tooth and I'm wearing different underwear.

Hahahahhaha!!! This site is so good!