Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Jun 1st 2014, 06:25 AM
Globetrotter

Default The Rise of the drone

Today I ordered myself a burger for lunch. The delivery man arrived at my house 15 minutes later with my food. I looked at him for a bit, then I paid him took my food and closed the door.
I looked for a bit because I couldn't help but imagine how it would look like if instead of the delivery man, there was one of those flying helicopter drones.
Indeed, the bakery/restaurant from which I ordered my food is a 7 minute walk from my house.
In theory there is no reason that would prevent a mechanical operator from loading the food into a small flying drone and fly it to my house.
I would get a call when it is at the door and I would then open and take the food from it.

Of course, there is no benefit for the restaurant from using a drone in such a way, because it would need an operator to fly it. However, if on the other hand it was all automated, then they would go for it as it would mean one less employee.

Indeed, this is what the "near" future holds for the world of parcel delivery. With the increasing computational power and farms. it is a short matter of time before we start getting parcels via drones.

AI has started taking real leaps recently when computer scientist stopped trying to emulate humans, but instead started thinking of solving the problem at hand with the best tools.

For the delivery service it might mean that the first time you order from a restaurant an operator there will guide it remotely. but in subsequent times it will become mostly automated.

Indeed the desk cashier could have a desktop in front of her where she coordinates the delivery operations to clients.
This is the same thing that amazon has in mind when it thinks of delivering parcels via drones.

Drones will even be responsible for most transportation inside cities and beyond, in the form of automated taxis and buses. There too it would take some partial input from the passengers.

With enough data they might seem to be fully automated.

This is the promise of technology. However the downside is that a lot of people who now work as drivers and delivery men will find themselves without jobs.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 07:10 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: The Rise of the drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
Today I ordered myself a burger for lunch. The delivery man arrived at my house 15 minutes later with my food. I looked at him for a bit, then I paid him took my food and closed the door.
I looked for a bit because I couldn't help but imagine how it would look like if instead of the delivery man, there was one of those flying helicopter drones.
Indeed, the bakery/restaurant from which I ordered my food is a 7 minute walk from my house.
In theory there is no reason that would prevent a mechanical operator from loading the food into a small flying drone and fly it to my house.
I would get a call when it is at the door and I would then open and take the food from it.

Of course, there is no benefit for the restaurant from using a drone in such a way, because it would need an operator to fly it. However, if on the other hand it was all automated, then they would go for it as it would mean one less employee.

Indeed, this is what the "near" future holds for the world of parcel delivery. With the increasing computational power and farms. it is a short matter of time before we start getting parcels via drones.

AI has started taking real leaps recently when computer scientist stopped trying to emulate humans, but instead started thinking of solving the problem at hand with the best tools.

For the delivery service it might mean that the first time you order from a restaurant an operator there will guide it remotely. but in subsequent times it will become mostly automated.

Indeed the desk cashier could have a desktop in front of her where she coordinates the delivery operations to clients.
This is the same thing that amazon has in mind when it thinks of delivering parcels via drones.

Drones will even be responsible for most transportation inside cities and beyond, in the form of automated taxis and buses. There too it would take some partial input from the passengers.

With enough data they might seem to be fully automated.

This is the promise of technology. However the downside is that a lot of people who now work as drivers and delivery men will find themselves without jobs.
Or maybe you could have walked there.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 08:20 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
it was just more convenient to order it.

by the way, in Lebanon even McDonalds' delivers. I know that in the US people usually do a drive through at mcDonalds. but here that didn't work so well, because of all the taffic jams. So they started a delivery service.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 08:56 AM
Citizen

If it is only 7 minutes from your house then there is no reason why you couldn't get off your arse and collect it yourself before you turn into a fat slob, if you are not one already
Old Jun 1st 2014, 09:01 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
If it is only 7 minutes from your house then there is no reason why you couldn't get off your arse and collect it yourself before you turn into a fat slob, if you are not one already
It is 7 minutes away, but the food takes time to prepare and I didn't want to arrange with them to call me when the food is done to come pick it up and I don't think they offer that kind of service and it is pointless.

Anyway, the point is about drones, not what a fat slob I am for not getting food.
the argument also works if the restaurant was 15 minutes away by car.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 09:27 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Indeed.

But it is McDonalds, so we're dealing with lazy food people in the first place.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 09:33 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

I wouldn't be so sure about a future of drone deliveries. Africa and third world maybe, because killing/maiming people there by accident isn't serious. But in the first world, that poses a world of legal issues that will not admit of easy solutions.

To begin with, spinning blades means drones are potentially very dangerous, which makes for major legal liability issues. Airspace is also a public resource and is firmly regulated by government. These private drones must use this public resource and that means they will likely have a license and pay for privilege.

This idea sounds about as practical and probable as the long repeated prediction that helicopters would replace cars. Or the lastest 'driver-less' cars fantasy. Wishful thinking is what drives this stuff. These are solutions to problems that don't exist.

Some US states have already moved to pass laws banning usage of private drones as a danger to public safety.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 09:41 AM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about a future of drone deliveries. Africa and third world maybe, because killing/maiming people there by accident isn't serious. But in the first world, that poses a world of legal issues that will not admit of easy solutions.

To begin with, spinning blades means drones are potentially very dangerous, which makes for major legal liability issues. Airspace is also a public resource and is firmly regulated by government. These private drones must use this public resource and that means they will likely have a license and pay for privilege.

This idea sounds about as practical and probable as the long repeated prediction that helicopters would replace cars. Or the lastest 'driver-less' cars fantasy. Wishful thinking is what drives this stuff. These are solutions to problems that don't exist.

Some US states have already moved to pass laws banning usage of private drones as a danger to public safety.
Actually, I was going to suggest that, IF an automated robot was going to deliver something to you, it wouldn't be a flying drone it would just be a driver-less car.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
Actually, I was going to suggest that, IF an automated robot was going to deliver something to you, it wouldn't be a flying drone it would just be a driver-less car.
I think the 'driverless car' has even more institutional barriers and less real world demand than drones and are thus even more unlikely.

The first world has legal-liability obsession that will not go away any time soon. I don't see how little helicopters flying around will not be extremely dangerous.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 10:12 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Indeed.

But it is McDonalds, so we're dealing with lazy food people in the first place.
7 minutes to get there. Another 7 minutes to get back. And want 10 to 15 minutes for them to prepare the food (it was not a McDonald). Instead of paying an extra 1 dollar as a delivery fee.
Oh and I jogg for an hour every day. But hey laugh about it.