Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Nov 6th 2013, 11:20 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: The Internet Archive

Found a few CD's with old games some of which I can't get to work on Vista no matter what so I installed a Virtual PC with Windows 98. It's liiiiiightning fast. I bet I could do things inside it that would run slower on the Vista host

Ah, the good old days when you could identify each and every file on the system and knew (or at least could know) everything the PC was doing.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 11:39 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Windows took a shit on my home machine a couple years ago, so I've been running ubuntu at home.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 06:39 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Found a few CD's with old games some of which I can't get to work on Vista no matter what so I installed a Virtual PC with Windows 98. It's liiiiiightning fast. I bet I could do things inside it that would run slower on the Vista host

Ah, the good old days when you could identify each and every file on the system and knew (or at least could know) everything the PC was doing.
Yeah, I remember running an old DOS based game in Windows 98, using DOS mode. The game processed so fast I couldn't play it - the game sequence whizzed by in about 1.2 milliseconds so I couldn't see what happened.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 07:15 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Yeah, I remember running an old DOS based game in Windows 98, using DOS mode. The game processed so fast I couldn't play it - the game sequence whizzed by in about 1.2 milliseconds so I couldn't see what happened.
There's a solution for that:
http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/
Old Nov 7th 2013, 12:08 PM
Citizen

Quote:
A fire at the Internet Archive's San Francisco scanning center has destroyed an estimated $600,000 of digitization and scanning equipment. Fortunately no one was injured in the blaze, but the property damage has ruined "some physical materials" that were yet to be digitized, and restricted the nonprofit organization's ability to record the history of the web.
Source.

Bummer. They're seeking donations to rebuild their fleet.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 08:44 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post

A lot of times when people virtualize old timey games, they have to put in logic to slow them down. Really old games tied actions directly to processor clock instead of any kind of abstracted concept of time, so when they run on processors that are orders of magnitude faster, things get crazy.

This kind of reminds me of that, in a way.

The majority of modern OS resource consumption goes into high definition rendering and visually appealing graphics. It's a nice way to package it, but in the end, it amounts to planned hardware obsolescence and the hardware OEMs having an unspoken deal with OS vendors to find ways constantly to max out the current hardware offering in order to sell units every few years.

Machines that are a decade old, with the appropriate OS on them, are plenty sufficient for almost all office needs and most home needs as well.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 04:39 PM
Citizen

Anyone remember OS2? had a lot of potential in my opinion
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 08:29 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
Anyone remember OS2? had a lot of potential in my opinion
Always reminds me of an old computer joke.

If the best computer and the best software were to be dominant in the marketplace, we'd all be using Amiga computers running OS2.

For computer nerds, this is so true.