Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Sep 26th 2011, 07:03 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Designer Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Well, sometimes the poor people may get tired of "making-do" and rise up. That is how the Bolshevik regime came about
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
There are many examples of revolutions, like Solidarnosc, or the French Revolution. (you see, I prefer to talk about revolutions which had good endings).

But I agree with you, that when the poor are pushed to far, they end up having revolutions. And that's part of the strength that they get, which I was talking about. Poverty creates strength, which again creates revolution.

There are many examples of parents who have strength which poverty gave them, and they have children who have perks which wealth bought them. Two very different generations from the same family, in other words.

Very often the children turn into exactly the kind of people that their parents fought against.
Just to clarify something here for both of you. Both the French revolution of 1789 and the Russian revolution of 1917 were executed by bourgeois political movements.

Both revolutions were violently overthrown by murderous and radical leftwing extremist factions AFTER the initial bourgeois revolution.

In other words, poor plebes have never led any successful revolutions. All they can do is subvert them and turn potential liberal democracies into bloody and murderous tyrannies.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 07:04 PM
Globetrotter

The Polish revolution (1980-1990) was successful, and it was organised by ordinary workers.
And the Czech Velvet Revolution was very successful too.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 07:08 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
The Polish revolution (1980-1990) was successful, and it was organised by ordinary workers.
And the Czech Velvet Revolution was very successful too.
That wasn't a revolution led by poor plebes. The dockworkers union and a Pope are not exactly plebes. And you are paying short shrift to the Polish intelligensia that has worked the issue for decades preparing the ground.

If anything, the so-called 'Polish Revolution' was a bourgeois revolution because that's what the result of it was - the spawning of a bourgeois liberal democracy.

Btw, I don't consider that an actual revolution - it was merely the removal or end of a foreign occupation.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 07:13 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
That wasn't a revolution led by poor plebes. The dockworkers union and a Pope are not exactly plebes. And you are paying short shrift to the Polish intelligensia that has worked the issue for decades preparing the ground.

If anything, the so-called 'Polish Revolution' was a bourgeois revolution because that's what the result of it was - the spawning of a bourgeois liberal democracy.

Btw, I don't consider that an actual revolution - it was merely the removal or end of a foreign occupation.
Dockworkers are working class, surely???
Old Sep 26th 2011, 07:19 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Dockworkers are working class, surely???
Dockworkers themselves, yes. The union (and the Pope) were not. And the collapse of the Soviet will to rule took more than just a few Polish dockworkers holding a strike. The process was larger than that.

In other words, the 'success' in Poland was driven entirely by events in Russia. If Russia wanted to maintain her European empire, Poland (and Czecho) would have been crushed like Hungary in 1956. Fact is, Russia changed and Poland profited from that change - I think regardless of the Polish dockworkers and the Pope.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 10:33 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Yeah... I'm pretty skeptical about the idea of a "successful" revolution.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 07:11 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Yeah... I'm pretty skeptical about the idea of a "successful" revolution.
The French and Russian revolutions were actually successful as revolutions - they overthrew the old regime and installed a new one. That's a successful revolution. And as I previously pointed out - this success came from the fact that these revolutions were driven by bourgeois elements, not the plebes. In both cases, the successful revolution was highjacked by violent and extremist plebian elements (and that's when the blood started to flow).

Btw, I don't consider the US seccession from Britain (or Poland from Warsaw Pact in 1989) to be actual political revolutions (successful or otherwise).
Old Sep 18th 2014, 04:13 AM
Citizen

Lightbulb Genius Pasture

The idea of 'intellectual farming' has a good amount of cultural precedence.

The American toy line Cabbage Patch Kids presents little baby-like dolls that come from a fantasy land where children grow in cabbage fields. This connection between species fertilization and farming or harvesting is related to timeless ideas about sowing-reaping morality and tales of the Scarecrow (a harbinger of prudence in crop-rearing).

Cabbage Patch Kids were then spun into the irony-sarcasm toy line Garbage Pail Kids which presented urban children dealing with having to be born among human civilization waste and tedium.

This sort of social imagination regarding the child's view on society normalization helps us discuss ideas about gene-shopping for offspring with more robustness and spiritual perspective I think.

There is of course, the dark side. The Soviet Union toyed with the idea of making a race of half-human, half-ape genetically engineered super-soldiers, but the program was abandoned.

Since we're arriving at a 'Brave New World,' why don't we walk about the healthy (and perhaps necessary) politicization of toys?

Cabbage Patch Kids