Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Feb 25th 2010, 01:54 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Facebook Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
So then, it's win-win-lose. Win for the fad purveyor, win for the players at the buyer, and lose (long term) for shareholders of the buyer.
That describes 90% of all mergers from the last 25 years.

Time-Warner's purchase of AOL has to be one of the all-time worst. The sharevalues dropped for both parties as soon as the deal was announced - and have continued to drop ever since. Just signing this deal wiped out several billion in shareholder value.

And people wonder why I have a low opinion of modern capitalism.

Bunch of wannabe rentiers is all I see.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 02:04 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
So then, it's win-win-lose. Win for the fad purveyor, win for the players at the buyer, and lose (long term) for shareholders of the buyer.
Lose for those unable to get out at the right time. Which is what equity market players depend on. Somebody has to take the hit.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:19 AM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:

I'm sick of it because I now have about 25 times as many 'friends' as I have in real life, and all of them fill up my 'feed' with pictures of babies I will never meet and don't want to meet. I'm sick of it because all I want is an easy way to get in touch with people should I want to and what I get is endless invitations to play games like Mafia Wars - the Amway of online gaming. I'm sick of it because my friends include college drinking buddies, work acquaintances, family members young and old, and any number of other people who I can't really be myself in front of. Post something making fun of Democrats and I'll get a half dozen responses from angry liberal friends and families. Reverse it with Republicans and the same is true. If I post some bawdy reference to drinking or sex, aunts and uncles will be offended because my little cousins can see it. If I do any of that, people I work with raise eyebrows. And, if I post things that are appropriate for those sets of people, my friends will tell me I'm a dork.

What we have is such a level of interconnection that nobody really wants to say anything of substance, so all that's left is baby-pictures, and SPAM about stupid games. What it needs to attract me and others like me back as 'customers' (which is not really accurate, since I don't give them money) is a smaller, segmented user base. But, a smaller segmented user base means fewer eyeballs viewing, less ad revenue and a loss of its current appeal as the 'cool' thing. And, as more people like me get sick of the thing and drop off the radar, using it only as a way to reach out to someone, the remaining user base is distilled to one so annoying and incorrectly assumptive that others want to know every insipid detail of their lives, that it becomes uncool.
This reminds me of a new Facebook hobby of mine. I like to look at the motherfucker who has sent nothing but invites all week and hasn't posted anything about his/her life. Then I hit delete. I don't care if it's sweet Aunt Allie or an old high school buddy; I just weigh their value in my real life to their annoying presence on Facebook.

For instance, I added a friend from high school about six months ago. Wasn't close to guy at all, but we were in the same circle. Anyway, he must have went to a revival or something because he just started posting the fuck out of some scripture and links to gospel videos. So, I just shitcanned him. It felt pretty good, too. Then, his wife sends me an invite the next day. I don't even remember that bitch. BAM! Ignore.

(By the way, this whole ritual reminds me a lot of a George Carlin joke. After someone dies, he waits a few weeks, and then he pulls out his address book and boldly crosses out their names while thinking, Lasted longer than that fuck! This makes me happy. See, smiling happy.)

Anyway, my point is that you have some control. Also, keep in mind that it's free. Free shit in America is something that's hard to get truly angry over. This isn't a public service: it's a multi-million dollar industry, yet it's free.

Quote:
My two cent crystal ball gives it about two or three years before google crushes Facebook, either by absorbing it or offering a newer, cooler, better version of it.
Despite my earlier defense of the site, I have to agree with you here. I think the internet can only allow something to remain on top for a maximum of five years. Even with updates and new designs, you still have the same basic system that just bores the fuck out of the ADHD Nation. Something new and snazzy will come out (thought I doubt it will be Google to create it) and that will be all she wrote.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 05:00 AM
World Citizen

I don't want a Facebook account. Too many people out there I don't want to find, and don't want them to find me. It's like when you run into someone you haven't seen in years and the conversation goes something like this:

"Hey! Long time!"

"Yeah. You haven't changed a bit. What have you been up to?"

"Oh, you know, kids, job, life...."

"We should get together sometime."

"Yeah, we should."

And then you never see them or hear from them again. Unless you have a social networking site. Then you get to see way too much of them, and hear way more than you ever wanted to know even when you knew them.

Yeah. No thanks.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:54 AM
Globetrotter

Facebook never really held any interest for me. I use email to keep in touch with those geographically removed relatives/friends who matter to me and have absolutely no desire to expand that obligation with meaningless, casual, time consuming associations.

I must add that if I was still single I'd probably be a big Facebook fan looking for casual, brief associations. It does appear to be a massive bachelor's hunting reserve.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:43 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
I must add that if I was still single I'd probably be a big Facebook fan looking for casual, brief associations. It does appear to be a massive bachelor's hunting reserve.
Adult Friend Finder[dot][com] would appear to serve that purpose better.
And Craigslist too.
Though, I can see how Facebook might be seen as more decent or bonafide.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 02:07 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarquon View Post
Adult Friend Finder[dot][com] would appear to serve that purpose better.
And Craigslist too.
Adult friend finder sounds like a hooker magnet.

Quote:
Though, I can see how Facebook might be seen as more decent or bonafide.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 03:11 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
Despite my earlier defense of the site, I have to agree with you here. I think the internet can only allow something to remain on top for a maximum of five years. Even with updates and new designs, you still have the same basic system that just bores the fuck out of the ADHD Nation. Something new and snazzy will come out (thought I doubt it will be Google to create it) and that will be all she wrote.
It came to me in a vision - it will be social networking combined with the 3D realism from the movie Avatar where you will be able to virtually interact with your friends. Glasses not included. Some assembly required. Small parts not suitable for children under 18 years of age.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 03:30 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
It came to me in a vision - it will be social networking combined with the 3D realism from the movie Avatar where you will be able to virtually interact with your friends. Glasses not included. Some assembly required. Small parts not suitable for children under 18 years of age.
The Matrix?

Caprica (new show on SyFy) talks about something quite similar: they have created visors that link users' brains with an internet where avatars interact with other people and software. Pretty neat, actually. I would buy it. I think Korymir would be doing back-flips of joy. (By the way, what rat-hole did he run off to?)
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 04:02 PM
Bad Motherfucker

One man's garbage, another man's treasure...

Quote:
Beth doesn't like Jim Bunning. Can we elect for Bunning to take a furlough?

2 hours ago
Vickie and NOT receive his salary or benefits for as long as he holds them up for others who are in far more difficult financial situations than him.

2 hours ago

Chet No, but I hear there is a protest at his Lexington office at 3 today. 771 Corporate Drive

2 hours ago

Casey Please. He is doing what the democrats just asked for. Pay-go. The bill adds to the deficit... Democrats are getting exactly what they wanted. Secondly, unemployment already gives money away for far far far too long.

about an hour ago

Lori I think I am with Casey here.. America is in such debt that we cannot keep on going like this..

about an hour ago

Beth I respect your opinions, but I would like to remind you that it was a republican president that began the spending that lead to the deficit. I am not saying that I am against/for any bailouts to boost the economy, but I want to encourage others to look at both sides of the argument.

about an hour ago

Lori I honestly have and the outcome is that China owns most of our debt. That is a HUGE problem. If China bails the dollar collapses and we have even bigger problems then. We have to stop this out of control spending

about an hour ago

Tom George Bush did not start deficit spending. That is completely false. Roosevelt started it, and no one since has corrected it. Republicans are just as guilty as Democrats, so stop acting like the parties actually differ on this issue.

China won't bail on us because they would be screwing themselves out of a huge market. The problem is that we have such a huge debt in the first place, never mind who holds it.

Jim Bunning has the right idea. It is idiotic to extend unemployment benefits any further if we can't pay for the programs already on the books.... See More

Also, he pitched a perfect game. Beat THAT.

50 minutes ago

Beth Tom, I am not blaming one party or another. I am just saying that both parties spend; sometimes out of control.

I agree that China will not bail, but I also agree with Lori that we should work on becoming more self-sufficient and decrease out debt.

Pitching does not equal good politics.

41 minutes ago

Chet I agree whole-heartedly that our spending is out of control. I just disagree that denying people unemployment benefits is going to fix anything. Right argument, wrong time. Want to cut back spending? Bring our troops home, close foreign bases, and quit subsidizing corporations.

It's idiotic to pay for those program that are already in the books because the books already read -$10,000,000,000,000.00. So, how about we end Medicare, Social Security, all the bureaus, dismiss all full-time military staff, end infrastructure payments to the states, call home the border guards, and just make payments for 5 or 6 years?

32 minutes ago

Casey Chet. Some of ideas are not bad. Like ending subsidies, ending Medicare and social security, since the constitution does not specifically allow those programs. However, the consitution does allow for defense. And we know for history, post WWI, that being isolationist is a very bad idea.

The governemnt should not be providing unemploymet, retirement, subsidies, grants, loans, cars, space programs.

9 minutes ago

Chet How was isolationism bad? Because we didn't try to police the world, Hitler came to power? What a straw-man argument that is!

And if you want to see a nation crumble, go ahead and vote for Medicare and Social Security to be eradicated. Fine by me, I've got guns. Better to live free in a third world nation than to labor under the heel of a police state.

about a minute ago

We need some teabaggers or something around here. Spice things up a bit.