Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Feb 24th 2010, 04:59 PM
World Citizen

Default Re: Facebook Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
My point is that silly games are popular. Why does one need Facebook to play silly games?

Facebook is the odd wheel there between game players and games.
I think that they take the social aspect of their site and integrate it into the games. That allows old friends that follow each other on Facebook to also follow each other inside the game so they don't have to do the two in different places. It also allows people to publish how well they are doing on their Facebook page to sort of brag and compare with their friends. That's also why so many hate the games because they have to hear about how well the people they are friends with are doing constantly.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 05:49 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
Glad to have given you some giggles...

I need to look up the numbers of how many people are on MySpace compared to Facebook. I really think the number of people will keep FB around longer than what you're anticipating. I never had (great) aunts and uncles join MySpace, or my Mom and Dad, or teachers Every single one of them has found something about the site that they truly enjoy, which doesn't happen much.
It makes sense that more people would be on Facebook than Mypsace in its heyday, since there are more and more people using the internet more and more regularly with more and more comfort. These users that you mention may have been oblivious to the existence of Myspace or else not comfortable enough with the interface at that time to use it. So, I'd call it a wash if Facebook is double or even triple the max size of Myspace.

Or, to put it another way, imagine saying that DVDs will, unlike VHS, last forever. Think how many more people have DVDs than ever had VHS tapes. But then, think how endless TV shows didn't release all of their seasons back in the days of VHS. Think of how movie prices weren't as expensive, so people didn't buy as many tapes. Think of how we had less of an "on-demand" culture. And... think of how DVDs are really becoming extinct, you having dozens or hundreds of them notwithstanding.

Here's the thing with AOL Friendster Myspace Facebook. Parse out revenue generating ads, and what are you left with? You're left with a 'product' whose draw is other people using the product. If you signed into Facebook and saw that there were no other users, you wouldn't sign in again. It would be functionally useless. Contrast this with other kinds of products. If I patronize an empty Chinese restaurant, I still get food. If I buy a widget from a failing widget maker, I still get a widget. But, if I patronize a "social networking" site that has become passe, I get squat (but I do get advertisements, and probably more of them, the worse its doing).

Now, AOL Friendster Myspace Facebook has millions of users, but is the market saturated? By now, most people who are going to join have joined, and others, myself included, are sick of it.

I'm sick of it because I now have about 25 times as many 'friends' as I have in real life, and all of them fill up my 'feed' with pictures of babies I will never meet and don't want to meet. I'm sick of it because all I want is an easy way to get in touch with people should I want to and what I get is endless invitations to play games like Mafia Wars - the Amway of online gaming. I'm sick of it because my friends include college drinking buddies, work acquaintances, family members young and old, and any number of other people who I can't really be myself in front of. Post something making fun of Democrats and I'll get a half dozen responses from angry liberal friends and families. Reverse it with Republicans and the same is true. If I post some bawdy reference to drinking or sex, aunts and uncles will be offended because my little cousins can see it. If I do any of that, people I work with raise eyebrows. And, if I post things that are appropriate for those sets of people, my friends will tell me I'm a dork.

What we have is such a level of interconnection that nobody really wants to say anything of substance, so all that's left is baby-pictures, and SPAM about stupid games. What it needs to attract me and others like me back as 'customers' (which is not really accurate, since I don't give them money) is a smaller, segmented user base. But, a smaller segmented user base means fewer eyeballs viewing, less ad revenue and a loss of its current appeal as the 'cool' thing. And, as more people like me get sick of the thing and drop off the radar, using it only as a way to reach out to someone, the remaining user base is distilled to one so annoying and incorrectly assumptive that others want to know every insipid detail of their lives, that it becomes uncool.

And then, Myspace and Friendster say "hi, we've been keeping a spot warm for you over here on the bench. It's not so bad, really, as long as you tricked a major conglomerate into thinking you had some kind of intrinsic value long enough to buy you out."

My two cent crystal ball gives it about two or three years before google crushes Facebook, either by absorbing it or offering a newer, cooler, better version of it.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 05:56 PM
Official Forum Geek

For some reason, the Web 2.0 social networking model reminds me of the South Park episode where all of the web memes were gathered in a waiting room, talking about how many theoretical dollars they are worth. The business model seems to be:

1. Get a lot of people's attention.
2. ???
3. Profit!
4. ???
5. Sell to a bigger company!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 06:09 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
For some reason, the Web 2.0 social networking model reminds me of the South Park episode where all of the web memes were gathered in a waiting room, talking about how many theoretical dollars they are worth. The business model seems to be:

2. ???
3. Profit!
4. ???
I love how you actually used a meme to make your point.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 06:18 PM
World Citizen

Considering the condescending, pretentious, narcissistic character of where it came from, it's definitely appropriate for describing the consumers, shareholders, and marketers involved with this.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 08:42 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
Exxxxxxxxactly.

Adding insult to injury is how we (as Americans) embrace being labeled as a bunch of fat and spoiled retards. It opens the flood gates to multicultural and culturally relativist condescension.
There's a valid reason for those labels, which contributes to my ever-decreasing national pride. I remember all too well quickly learning to avoid ugly fellow Americans when traveling in other countries.

Quote:
See this in schools nationwide all the time, but nobody's ever done, or going to do, anything about it because it's politically incorrect from both the left and right.
I don't really care what people do as long as it doesn't directly affect me in an adverse manner. Let them get fat, play simple games and become receptacles for targeted advertising. The US is known for providing consumer instant gratification.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:46 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:

2. ???
3. Profit!
4. ???
It has become a traditional road to professional success in the age of information. Having said that, I do consider electronic social networking part of the entertainment industry. Somewhat short-lived successes with an audience that inevitably responds to herd behavior. Takes bright people to put it together, which I admire.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:12 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
It has become a traditional road to professional success in the age of information. Having said that, I do consider electronic social networking part of the entertainment industry. Somewhat short-lived successes with an audience that inevitably responds to herd behavior. Takes bright people to put it together, which I admire.
I think it's a potential win-win as long as potential buying companies recognize sites like Facebook/Myspace for what they are - successful commercials.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 01:18 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I think it's a potential win-win as long as potential buying companies recognize sites like Facebook/Myspace for what they are - successful commercials.
Acquisitions are sometimes logical for long-term market positioning for the acquirer, often not. Buying a company can be motivated by something so simple as pushing acquirer equity market value high enough for senior management to turn their $10-million pool of ripe stock options into $30-million in-hand. Five year business plan projections can be what one wants them to be for board approval.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 01:45 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Acquisitions are sometimes logical for long-term market positioning for the acquirer, often not. Buying a company can be motivated by something so simple as pushing acquirer equity market value high enough for senior management to turn their $10-million pool of ripe stock options into $30-million in-hand. Five year business plan projections can be what one wants them to be for board approval.
So then, it's win-win-lose. Win for the fad purveyor, win for the players at the buyer, and lose (long term) for shareholders of the buyer.