Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:33 AM
Globetrotter

Default Facebook Evolution

"On Facebook, a group called "I dont care about your farm, or your fish, or your park, or your mafia!!!" had more than 5.2 million members recently."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/02/23/f...ames/?hpt=Sbin

An interesting article on social gaming and where its heading.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:04 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Facebook Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
"On Facebook, a group called "I dont care about your farm, or your fish, or your park, or your mafia!!!" had more than 5.2 million members recently."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/02/23/f...ames/?hpt=Sbin

An interesting article on social gaming and where its heading.
Yes, an interesting tidbit that says several different things.

1. Game companies should take note. Classic arcade style game are massively popular and are generally ignored by gaming companies (who all cater to the same adrenalin-pumping first person shooter games popular with 13-34 males).

2. Facebook is a really big tent but not likely to stay that way for long.

3. Facebook's success appears to be predicated upon lots of bored people with massive amounts of liesure time available to play inane and simple games.

4. If silly and innane games are a big part of Facebook success, then I wouldn't bet on Facebook being around for long.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:26 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Yes, an interesting tidbit that says several different things.

1. Game companies should take note. Classic arcade style game are massively popular and are generally ignored by gaming companies (who all cater to the same adrenalin-pumping first person shooter games popular with 13-34 males).

2. Facebook is a really big tent but not likely to stay that way for long.

3. Facebook's success appears to be predicated upon lots of bored people with massive amounts of liesure time available to play inane and simple games.

4. If silly and innane games are a big part of Facebook success, then I wouldn't bet on Facebook being around for long.
Considering the popularity of spectator sports, I'd have to disagree with #4.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Considering the popularity of spectator sports, I'd have to disagree with #4.
My point is that silly games are popular. Why does one need Facebook to play silly games?

Facebook is the odd wheel there between game players and games.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:47 PM
This wine needs more whisky

Those fucking invites kill me. Unfortunately, I have the luxury of having a name that begins with "A" so everyone sends invites for different shit everyday.

The only game on FB I ever really got involved with was the poker, but that soon became a pain in my ass because people aren't playing with real money and play stupidly...and win. What a quick way to get me rip-roaring mad!

But, I don't think FB is going to be going anytime soon. I remember when the site first started up and it was only for "major" universities, each one having their own particular site. You could only communicate and add people that went to the school and you had to have a valid school email address. Facebook eventually merged into one and it was just colleges and universities under one site. Then they opened the site up to high school students, and then to networks/cities. They're actually pretty smart and as we all can see has outdone MySpace. And, it wasn't that long ago that MySpace was the top dog out of the two. Facebook has just done something different...it's easier to connect with old friends and family and the games are a pain, sure, but obviously a lot of people like them. The damn thing just keeps on growing and has already outlasted what MySpace ever did.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
My point is that silly games are popular. Why does one need Facebook to play silly games?

Facebook is the odd wheel there between game players and games.
Why does one have their laptop hooked up to their 42" flat screen tv?

A) The resources are there
B) Because you can
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
The damn thing just keeps on growing and has already outlasted what MySpace ever did.
Bemused giggles. You state the point but miss it at the same time.

MySpace used to be as big as Facebook. That was the last fad. Facebook is the present fad. Five years from now, Facebook will be as passe as MySpace (and Napster and AOL) are now.

I do remember being told that AOL was going to rule the net. Then I was told that MySpace redefined the net. Now I'm being told that Facebook is the ultimate. I just ignore these fads as they don't seem to last very long.

Btw, Facebook has a minimum age of 13 years old. Unofficially however, Facebook's fastest growth these days is coming from the elementary school set.

Need I say more?

Btw, my little niece's elementary school just discovered that over 60% of their students, all under 12, were on Facebook, prompting a form letter message to parents. Several of these kids had over 500 "friends" on Facebook.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Bemused giggles. You state the point but miss it at the same time.

MySpace used to be as big as Facebook. That was the last fad. Facebook is the present fad. Five years from now, Facebook will be as passe as MySpace (and Napster and AOL) are now.

I do remember being told that AOL was going to rule the net. Then I was told that MySpace redefined the net. Now I'm being told that Facebook is the ultimate. I just ignore these fads as they don't seem to last very long.

Btw, Facebook has a minimum age of 13 years old. Unofficially however, Facebook's fastest growth these days is coming from the elementary school set.

Need I say more?

Btw, my little niece's elementary school just discovered that over 60% of their students, all under 12, were on Facebook, prompting a form letter message to parents.
Glad to have given you some giggles...

I need to look up the numbers of how many people are on MySpace compared to Facebook. I really think the number of people will keep FB around longer than what you're anticipating. I never had (great) aunts and uncles join MySpace, or my Mom and Dad, or teachers Every single one of them has found something about the site that they truly enjoy, which doesn't happen much.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
Why does one have their laptop hooked up to their 42" flat screen tv?

A) The resources are there
B) Because you can
Those games are popular. How long before specialized niches pop up to fill that popularity? Facebook is just an irrelevant platform in this case.

Anyways, I'm not going to sit here and argue about how long it is going to take Facebook to become last year's fad. I really don't care. It is enough to just sit back and wait to prove my point. The net is driven by fads on steroids.

I certainly remember reading about how Yahoo was taking over the net. That was before Google came along of course.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 01:02 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

And for those with short memories, you should look up what used to be written about the rennaissance in 'solitaire' due to Microsoft bundling it with Windows oh so many years ago.

That was another fad that was huge and passed quite quickly into irrelevance.