Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Apr 11th 2015, 12:50 PM
Globetrotter

Default Deep web

I have just read a Playboy article about the Deep Web and the illicit activities that go on there. They were talking about a bunch of arrests of the operators of SilkRoad and SilkRoad2 which are illegal marketplaces on the Deep web for drugs, weapons and other illegal services.

Proponents of Free Speech claim that the Deep Web is necessary to protect the privacy of citizens, but it seems that the only use of it is for illegal activities.

I have yet to try to access it to know what it is really about. What do you guys think?
Old Apr 11th 2015, 03:01 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Deep web

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
I have just read a Playboy article about the Deep Web and the illicit activities that go on there. They were talking about a bunch of arrests of the operators of SilkRoad and SilkRoad2 which are illegal marketplaces on the Deep web for drugs, weapons and other illegal services.

Proponents of Free Speech claim that the Deep Web is necessary to protect the privacy of citizens, but it seems that the only use of it is for illegal activities.

I have yet to try to access it to know what it is really about. What do you guys think?
Do not know much about it, but have heard, from contacts on both sides of the law, that our mafia has now their own secret social network of sorts, a Facebook for gangsters. Probably using that Deep Web thing.

On this network, they make deals for weapons, narcotics, and any other merchandize the various mob faction sell or barter to each other or to outside markets; resolve disputes; seek advice of respected elders, avtoriteti; etc. You have to, at least, know, in person, some high ranking mafia guy to get a password for access.

Before, in the 90s, and earlier half of 2000s, when internet was not so widespread or advanced here, gang leaders had to meet in person to settle things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4B4oaES_4c Sometimes, it would be friendly sometimes, two bosses, as in this movie, would recognize each other from, in this case, serving together in the military, and all would end find. But, they could end quite violently too. there is a reason these meetings are referred to as strelka ("shoot up"), because that is how it often ends. Only the skill of appointed negotiators kept blood from spilling. Here, in popular TV drama from late 90s to mid-2000s, about St. Peterburg mafia, Bandistky Peterburg, local gangsters come to a strelka with some Chechens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv_Wob6b6pE

One of the locals clutches a grenade behind his back, ready to pull the pin. He tells their leader, played by Dmitry Pevtsov, "Shit starts going wrong, you fall to the ground that will be our signal to start shooting." That is how tense those things can get.

So, I am sure they are glad to be able to avoid that now

Internet has been useful for all sorts of people
Old Apr 11th 2015, 06:29 PM
Globetrotter

LOL

Before the advent of the WWW protocol the entire Internet was what is now so ridiculously called the 'Deep Web'. I've used and am using it every day (and so do most of you for that matter). Heck, I've developed corporate applications which are part of the 'Deep Web' simply because they provided dynamic pages generated specifically for the particular shop which logged in. If you (still) use POP3 email, you're using the 'Deep Web', if you use FTP you use the 'Deep Web' and so on. Private forums on established public forums are 'Deep Web', every single financial transaction on the Internet is 'Deep Web', etc. etc.

Sure, criminals use that so-called Deep Web too. They also use cars, bakeries (even Christian and gay ones ), bookshops, public toilets, malls, roads, libraries, telephones, the electricity grid, ....
Old Apr 12th 2015, 10:30 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
LOL

Before the advent of the WWW protocol the entire Internet was what is now so ridiculously called the 'Deep Web'. I've used and am using it every day (and so do most of you for that matter). Heck, I've developed corporate applications which are part of the 'Deep Web' simply because they provided dynamic pages generated specifically for the particular shop which logged in. If you (still) use POP3 email, you're using the 'Deep Web', if you use FTP you use the 'Deep Web' and so on. Private forums on established public forums are 'Deep Web', every single financial transaction on the Internet is 'Deep Web', etc. etc.

Sure, criminals use that so-called Deep Web too. They also use cars, bakeries (even Christian and gay ones ), bookshops, public toilets, malls, roads, libraries, telephones, the electricity grid, ....
do deep web sites have ip addresses?
Old Apr 12th 2015, 10:21 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Yes, of course. The whole point is that this so-called Deep Web is nothing special, just some absurd name contemporary pesudo-journalists apply to something they don't understand and make into something Ooouuh-So-Scary for daily tabloid use.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 11:04 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
If you've ever downloaded any torrents, you were in the "deep web".
Old Apr 16th 2015, 01:07 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
If you've ever downloaded any torrents, you were in the "deep web".
man torrents are the best. i don't care that we don't have netfliks in lebanon or a slow internet. I download all sorts of tv shows with torrents, then watch them on android-based dongules that connect to my tv.

and i don't have to mask my ip or anything, the government doesn't have anti-piracy laws in lebanon. no one tells you anything.