Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Computers & Technology

Computers & Technology Computer issues, hardware, software, internet and new technologies.

Old Aug 16th 2010, 02:30 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Surfing Privacy & Security

I'm curious what tools/software people use...

I just found this Firefox Add-on...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11073/

It gives some very explicit information about every site one visits. I really like it.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 09:19 PM
Official Forum Geek

Default Re: Surfing Privacy & Security

I use google chrome with un-chrome and minimal add-ons. If I'm genuinely interested in privacy, I make use of a secure proxy server, though that doesn't happen very often.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 12:30 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'm curious what tools/software people use...

I just found this Firefox Add-on...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11073/

It gives some very explicit information about every site one visits. I really like it.
For the record, I retract this recommendation. I've since removed this Firefox add-on as it appears using was massively increasing the number of tracking cookies and malware infections.

I averaged only a very small number of such infections prior to using that add-on. After installing it, I noticed that my other software was eliminating 100's of infections every couple of days. After removing that add-on, I'm back down to small single-digit numbers.

I also use several different programs to scan/clean tracking cookies and malware so this doesn't appear to be a fluke.

And for the record, I strongly recommend the Advanced System Care software that Americano recommended in another thread. The registry fixer alone is worth using that product, but I've found that its ability to hunt down and kill tracking cookies and malware is as as good as every other program as well.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 09:50 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Do you use the freeware version or have you paid for the advanced version? Just curious.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 10:08 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
Do you use the freeware version or have you paid for the advanced version? Just curious.
I just used the basic freeware version.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 09:48 PM
Globetrotter

Still freeware version here. It works fine for me.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 01:13 PM
Citizen

Lightbulb Battery Goblin

With these recent hysteria reports that the NSA (National Security Agency) is using sophisticated monitoring techniques to track foreign terrorists hacking into American computing networks, it seems that social opinion tends to favor an inquiry into the macro-grid properties of the Internet.

Most tracking technologies employ word frequency or counting techniques to identify stations or sources of data. Credit card companies and solicitors use such technologies but so can private hackers or, theoretically, terrorists.

MaskMe is a nice home Internet security tool for the average consumer.

You don't want to feel paranoid renting a Hollywood (USA) movie such as "Ghost in the Machine" (1993) on Netflix (the Internet movie rental service).

Another simple thing you can do is refresh your browser and clear your cookies, so tracking bugs have a more difficult time storing information about your navigation habits.

Internet Privacy

Old Oct 16th 2014, 10:41 PM
Citizen

Lightbulb Traffic Messenger: Angel Pilot

Here's another note:

A lot of monitoring was increased with the rising popularity of Google, since its cookies are easier to track supposedly.

Should this make us more wary about using Google?

There's just so much traffic that it feels like we need an angel to guard our privacy. Unfortunately hackers understand this, and they keep abreast of Internet grids as much as the layman or the NSA.

Mozilla Firefox is much better than Safari and Internet Explorer, and arguably as good as Google Chrome. If Firefox is offering the right wall-security add-ons, then it's the right access tool/browser for home computer use.

"Anonymizers (such as Proxify) act as a man in the middle while you're browsing the Web, handling communications between your PC and the website you want to access anonymously. If you do everything correctly, the target website only sees information from the anonymizing service, so it can't identify your home IP address or other personal information" (source: pcworld.com).

You can also hide your IP address with a VPN (Virtual Private Network) or use the free Mozilla extension NoScript.

Here's a good market security software and an education information link too:

Hackers: Film

Last edited by Michael; Oct 17th 2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Commercial links are not permitted