Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Jul 17th 2013, 06:16 PM
Globetrotter

Default Universiade 2013

I did not watch. I think it was a farce. Professional athletes illegally competed for Russia against amateur students from foreign countries, even a state TV news man let it slip off his tongue ("accomplished sportsmen are representing our country in Kazan"), and there were other unfair advantages our side gave itself using privileges of host country. It was INHO a disgusting disgrace.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 06:21 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Universiade 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
I did not watch. I think it was a farce. Professional athletes illegally competed for Russia against amateur students from foreign countries, even a state TV news man let it slip off his tongue ("accomplished sportsmen are representing our country in Kazan"), and there were other unfair advantages our side gave itself using privileges of host country. It was INHO a disgusting disgrace.
USSR practically invented that trick at the Olympics half a century ago. In my opinion, that's what killed the Olympics.

The olympics were all about amateur sports and amateur competitors. USSR (and East Germany, etc) all fielded professional athletes using the military to pay them in order to pretend they were amateurs.

That pissed off all the western countries who were sending teams of actual amateurs. So they changed the rules to allow everyone to cheat the amateur rule and send professionals. Now the Olympics is exactly the same as any other world-level professional competition. Thanks to the USSR for that. Olympics used to be special, now they are just another competition on the professional circuit.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:52 PM
Official Forum Lutheran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
USSR practically invented that trick at the Olympics half a century ago. In my opinion, that's what killed the Olympics.

The olympics were all about amateur sports and amateur competitors. USSR (and East Germany, etc) all fielded professional athletes using the military to pay them in order to pretend they were amateurs.

That pissed off all the western countries who were sending teams of actual amateurs. So they changed the rules to allow everyone to cheat the amateur rule and send professionals. Now the Olympics is exactly the same as any other world-level professional competition. Thanks to the USSR for that. Olympics used to be special, now they are just another competition on the professional circuit.
see, I prefer the Olympics with professionals. I have never understood why i would want to watch a bunch of amateurs when there are better athletes out there
Old Jul 18th 2013, 01:55 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
see, I prefer the Olympics with professionals. I have never understood why i would want to watch a bunch of amateurs when there are better athletes out there
Yes, but Michael is right. This time, in Universiade, there were 18 (!) Olympic medalists on our Russian team. Eighteen! That is what I heard on a radio station this morning. And they talked about how these high-class athletes were handed out university student identification just before the games. One "student" could not even remember which university he supposedly attends, let alone which faculty, when a reporter asked him...
Old Jul 18th 2013, 02:08 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
As long as the Olympics is on terrestrial TV, and not on expensive cable channels, then I want to see the best competitors. That is why the Olympic men's football competition is for under-23s. But I really like watching football, and will happily watch football which isn't at the top level.

And with sports like table tennis and badminton, it would be ridiculous to demand only amateurs. Far more people watch Olympic table tennis, than watch the table tennis world championships, so the Olympic table tennis competition is every table tennis player's big dream, their only opportunity to be watched by a big worldwide audience.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
... so the Olympic table tennis competition is every table tennis player's big dream, their only opportunity to be watched by a big worldwide audience.
Yes, the ancient Greeks created the Olympiad for exactly this reason.

Your view of the Olympics makes a mockery of the ideals that founded the ancient Olympics AND the ideals that founded the resurrection of the Olympics in 1896.