Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Feb 17th 2012, 04:23 PM
Globetrotter

Default A slap worth $50,000

Quote:
Dereck Chisora Slaps Vitali Klitschko: Fined $50,000 by WBC

February 17th, 2012

By Johnny Walker
A few people had expressed concern to this writer lately regarding the jovial, buddy-buddy nature of the pre-fight meetings between WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko and his opponent this Saturday in Munich, Dereck “Del Boy” Chisora of the UK.

“What’s with all the buddy-buddy, backslapping stuff?” one friend asked me after viewing the initial press conference for the fight. “What’s happened to the heavyweight division?”
“Don’t worry,” I replied. “Chisora is a loose cannon – he’ll do something crazy soon.”
And today, true to form, the predictably unpredictable Chisora slapped Vitali Klitschko hard across the face, instead of on the back, during the pre-fight stare-down, leaving a red mark on the champion’s cheek.
Instantly, the Internet was abuzz with reaction: does this mean Chisora has “giant balls,” or is he just a fool to rile one of the toughest heavyweights in boxing history?
Either way, it’s safe to say the interest level in this fight has suddenly skyrocketed. HBO may be rethinking its decision to take a pass on Klitschko vs Chisora before the weekend is over.
Such is the furor over the “slap heard around the world,” that the WBC has now gotten into the act, fining Chisora a hefty $50,000 for the transgression against etiquette.
“This is definitely a lack of respect for the sport and completely unacceptable,” WBC President Jose Sulaiman told Boxingscene.
“It was a cheap shot, and my message is that there is a fine, so he’ll feel it! [Chisora's] no gentleman at all, and he’s failed in what we expect of boxers. He wanted Vitali to lose control, but Vitali will make him pay for this in the ring, definitely.”
The high-strung Chisora, meanwhile, has reiterated his plan to use “old-school” tactics to take the champ down: namely, the classic Joe Frazier “bob and weave.”
“Vitali’s height won’t present a problem,” Chisora contends. “He’s no bigger than [Robert] Helenius and look how I handled him.
“I’ve got to get inside and hurt him. I’m going to come in bobbing and weaving, take it to him Joe Frazier style and, trust me, I’m going to out-jab him. I might take a few grazes as I’m coming in but I’ve done loads of running and he won’t be able to stay with my pace.”
Strong words – we’ll soon know if Chisora, unlike his countryman David Haye, is more than just big talk.
And big slaps.

http://www.boxinginsider.com/headlin...-50000-by-wbc/

First, Chisora got close in Vitali's face

Then he "slapped" him, if you can call that a slap

The he ran away to hide behind all the other people there

Really just embarrassed himself in my opinion. Kiltchko later said, if all he [Chisora] can do is slap like a woman, he has no place in boxing.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 04:32 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: A slap worth $50,000

Oh God - do boxers never grow up?
Ooops - sorry - I forgot - you have to highly intelligent to be a boxer, and it's not about aggression at all.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 05:21 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Oh God - do boxers never grow up?
Ooops - sorry - I forgot - you have to highly intelligent to be a boxer, and it's not about aggression at all.
Combat sports are an interesting thing. I certainly appreciate the psychological strengh of professional fighters.

Look at Fedor Emelianenko, the "Last Emperor", one of the most decorated MMA fighters on Earth

(with younger brothers Aleksandr [right, three-times Russian national Sambo champion and three-time world Sambo champion in the absolute division] and Ivan [also Russian national Sambo champion]; they all spar together)

Fedor is a devoutly religious man. He wears a Orthodox cross in all his fights

Here some fans found a picture of Fedor and Marina in church with one of their newborn children (of which they have 2 now, since they married in 2009)

"Even the toughest man in the world believes in God. And that is his strengh!"

He apparently meets with a priest before every fight, for a blessing and spiritual advice if needed

He then prays and meditates

Often, his priest is even present at his fights

He also recently volunteered as a mentor and martial arts instructor in a Orthodox Militia cadet center

Fedor, I think, is not a "poser" as you put it before. His faith is genuine

I respect him. He is a good man. Does a lot for youth too. Young people, especially boys, idolize him
and he teaches them better ways in life, along with how to fight

Sometimes, this concerns me, because I think the Church may, in fact, be using him for propaganda to youth, perhaps even without his knowledge. I hope that is not the case.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 05:31 PM
Globetrotter

Of course you respect him - he's violent and religious
Old Feb 17th 2012, 05:35 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Of course you respect him - he's violent and religious
Yes, that is true

But more seriously, he is not "violent", not like many other boxers or Sambists or MMA fighters. He is actually a very quiet, modest guy. One can see that in his fights, right in the beginning, in the entrance. Some others go jumping into the ring, raising their fists, shouting, etc. Fedor just calmly walks out, smiling at his fans, maybe shaking some hands. And then he goes into the ring and, usually, simply destroys the otehr guy. KOs him or chokes him out, usually. Faith, Nick... it si a wonderful thing lol

Last edited by MeMyselfAndI; Feb 17th 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 05:40 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Yes, that is true

But more seriously, he is not "violent", not like many other boxers or Sambists or MMA fighters. He is actually a very quiet, modest guy. One can see that in his fights, right in the beginning, in the entrance. Some others go jumping into the ring, raising their fists, shouting, etc. Fedor just calmly walks out, smiling at his fans, maybe shaking some hands. And then he goes into the ring and, usually, simply destroys the otehr guy. KOs him or chokes him out, usually. Faith, Nick... it si a wonderful thing lol
Yes, I am sure he is a delightful chap when one gets to know him
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:02 PM
Globetrotter

Well, Chisora lost, as I said he would.
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/other...6658cb343.html

Later, at the press conference, David Haye came and he and Chisora had their own brawl
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/other...6658cb343.html

Haye got him beautifully too, with a right hook to the jaw

Chisora has now been detained by German police
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/box...avid-Haye.html

Well, I wish those two would meet in the ring. Haye would destroy him, no question.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:12 PM
Globetrotter

Surely it's more exciting when it's an even fight.
I get bored by most of Man United or Man City's football matches these days, because as soon as they score an early goal (which they virtually always do) the match is effectively over.

So surely, Chisora v Haye wouldn't be very exciting.