Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Welcome & Introductions

Welcome & Introductions A place to introduce yourself and to find help with using forum features!

Old Feb 7th 2012, 08:33 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Hello From Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
You can believe whatever you want and live however you want. But in the quota system, there are no seats in parliament for agnostics or atheists.
Well, clearly gays can't live however they want, as you have told us homosexuality is illegal.

But I suppose there is nothing to stop an agnostic or atheist from entering parliament if they get enough votes?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 08:36 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Well, clearly gays can't live however they want, as you have told us homosexuality is illegal.

But I suppose there is nothing to stop an agnostic or atheist from entering parliament if they get enough votes?
If they don't belong to a denomination, that fact alone will stop him from being eligible to run for parliament.

As for homosexuality, the act itself is illegal, so yes I stand corrected there.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 08:39 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
If they don't belong to a denomination, that fact alone will stop him from being eligible to run for parliament.
And what about religiously Jewish people. Are they allowed to run for parliament.

If parliament is only for religiously Jewish people, Christians and Muslims, then you could call it an Abrahamic dictatorship, since those are the 3 Abrahamic religions.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 08:47 AM
This wine needs more whisky

I'm a little late but WELCOME!

Old Feb 7th 2012, 08:49 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
And what about religiously Jewish people. Are they allowed to run for parliament.

If parliament is only for religiously Jewish people, Christians and Muslims, then you could call it an Abrahamic dictatorship, since those are the 3 Abrahamic religions.
There is a seat for religious minorities that Jews can occupy. It is not about being religious, but rather being registered as belonging to a faith. And it would be dictatorship if other people were barred from voting. As it is, it is closer to religious civil rights infringement.

Anyway there are groups calling for secularist ion and a clause in the constitution that asks parliament to make a committee whose task is to abolish confessional ism.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 08:49 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
I'm a little late but WELCOME!

Thanks
Old Feb 7th 2012, 08:51 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
There is a seat for religious minorities that Jews can occupy. It is not about being religious, but rather being registered as belonging to a faith. And it would be dictatorship if other people were barred from voting. As it is, it is closer to religious civil rights infringement.

Anyway there are groups calling for secularist ion and a clause in the constitution that asks parliament to make a committee whose task is to abolish confessional ism.
Yes, I appreciate that everyone can vote, but I'd feel a bit misrepresented if agnostics were barred from representing me.
Can hindus be in the religious minority seat?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 08:54 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Yes, I appreciate that everyone can vote, but I'd feel a bit misrepresented if agnostics were barred from representing me.
Can hindus be in the religious minority seat?
Hindus can't. And yes you would be underrepresented. Anyway the system has a lot of flaws. I support secular government and the separation of religion and the state same way they have in France.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 08:58 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Hindus can't. And yes you would be underrepresented. Anyway the system has a lot of flaws. I support secular government and the separation of religion and the state same way they have in France.
It strikes me that it is definitely a land which favours Abrahamic people. Only Abrahamic people in parliament.

I think MeMyselfandI would be happy in Lebanon. He is married to a Muslim, while being a staunch Christian himself. Are people allowed to drink alcohol in Lebanon. I think MeMyselfandI would miss the odd glass of vodka, although I'm in NO way suggesting that he drinks to excess.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 09:00 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
It strikes me that it is definitely a land which favours Abrahamic people. Only Abrahamic people in parliament.

I think MeMyselfandI would be happy in Lebanon. He is married to a Muslim, while being a staunch Christian himself. Are people allowed to drink alcohol in Lebanon. I think MeMyselfandI would miss the odd glass of vodka, although I'm in NO way suggesting that he drinks to excess.
Yes drinking is common in Lebanon.