Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Aug 26th 2011, 01:45 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Russian National Football Team wives and gir

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
But you are judging. You have to judge what is and isn't abiding by scripture.
If you insist on calling it judging (what I do), then dillitante should at least get his facts right regarding who I'm 'judging'.

I'm not judging Christians who fail to follow scripture.
I'm judging Christians who fail to follow scripture, and then judge other people who fail to follow scripture.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 01:59 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I'm judging Christians who fail to follow scripture, and then judge other people who fail to follow scripture.
If that is the case, it merely makes them hypocrites. Not "less religious."

Your constant harping that Russia can't be getting more religious as a society because of reasons X, Y, Z, or banging gypsies, is completely unfounded in logic.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 02:02 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
If that is the case, it merely makes them hypocrites. Not "less religious."

Your constant harping that Russia can't be getting more religious as a society because of reasons X, Y, Z, or banging gypsies, is completely unfounded in logic.
I'm speaking their language - they claim that others can't be religious because they do x, so I say that they can't be religious because they do y.

But of course the reality is, as you say, stinking hypocrisy on the part of those judgmental people. Christians who are not judgmental are of course, not hypocrites, whatever they do.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 02:05 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
I'm speaking their language - they claim that others can't be religious because they do x, so I say that they can't be religious because they do y.
Sorry, you don't get a say.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 02:17 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
I'm speaking their language
That seems unlikely, since the only Russian here disagrees with you.

Quote:
- they claim that others can't be religious because they do x, so I say that they can't be religious because they do y.
That makes it sound like you're talking very different languages.

To them, being religious is about X; to you, apparently, it's about Y (or both X and Y). Either way, it's apparent that "religious" doesn't mean to them what it means to you.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 02:21 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
That seems unlikely, since the only Russian here disagrees with you.

That makes it sound like you're talking very different languages.

To them, being religious is about X; to you, apparently, it's about Y (or both X and Y). Either way, it's apparent that "religious" doesn't mean to them what it means to you.
Fine, but then a question emerges, namely what is it abot some teachings that make them ignore-able, and others that make them un-ignore-able.

Since I don't discriminate between any of Christ's teachings, I can't answer that question.

MeMyselfandI has told us that he's an agnostic, so it isn't his language I'm speaking.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 03:26 PM
Globetrotter

Okay, everyone, I do not know if I agree or disagree with Nick. Statistics show that the number of Russian citizens who consider themselves observant Orthodox Christians has grown by 12% in 2010, compared to the previous 2 years: http://www.psmb.ru/aktualnoe/vse_nov...hilos-no-proc/

37% of Orthdox today, according to the same survey, are so-called "non-Church Orthodox". This is mostly young people, urban, who do not have the means or time, to regularly go to church, but still are very much loyal, faithful Orthodox Christians. They pray at home, they believe that human life beings at conception, not at birth, and they have a higher tendency then the atheists to donate blood or even organs.

31% are Orthodox who "go to church when possible". These are mainly families, who do try to come to all the services, masses, prayers, Cross marches and such, but cannot always be there, due to having other matters in their lives: children to care for, work to be done. Otherwise, they are, too, very much attached to their faith, same as the previous group.

There is also a small 'hard core' 4%, mostly elder generation and, interestingly, mostly women (well, explainable: women in Russia live 12 years longer than men, 72 to 74 years vs 60 to 62, so they constitute a powerful majority of the elder generation). These people are in church all the time, they do not miss a single event. The women always wear head scarves (well, you've seen pictures of those babushkas ) And they always sit on benches outside churches and chide youth that walks by for not being adherent enough.

Certainly, more families today Christen their newly born infants

In fact, in some birth clinics, they now have a priest and a a holy water tun on the spot, so the new parents don't have to go looking for a church

And there is now a newly re-established tradition. Evgeny Rodionov, a Russian, Orthodox Christian soldier was taken prisoner by the rebels in Chechnya and executed eventually. Supposedly he was killed because he refused to convert to Islam, refused to the last to take off the Cross from his neck. Now, the hard-line Orthodox nationalists, including Cossacks, have had him canonized, and declared a "martyr for the faith"

New icon: "Great Martyr Warrior Evgeny". Like Orthodox version of Wahabit shahid.

Well, the Cossacks canonize and 'martyr' every man of their that has the misfortune of dying at war, particularly if it is a war against the "non-faithful", meaning non-Orthodox. Even if the man died in a accident, he is still 'martyrized' and they make a new icon of him... In their schools, icons of 'martyrs' hang upon the entrance. Every Cossack child has to salute and say a prayer to them as he or she enters.

So, no, Nick, there are plenty of people in this country who certainly fell like they are religious,
Old Aug 26th 2011, 03:32 PM
Globetrotter

MeMyselfandI,

!. people in Scandinavia or Britain would find it very strange to consider oneself religious, and at the same tome think it's okay to have a sexy calendar with women with implants. Do Russians see no conflict here?

2. How do Russians feel about Jesus's emphasis on forgiveness?

3. Do Russians love their neighbour?

4. Do Russians think you should gather treasures on earth?

5. Sex before marriage? Do Russians avoid this?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 03:52 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
MeMyselfandI,

!. people in Scandinavia or Britain would find it very strange to consider oneself religious, and at the same tome think it's okay to have a sexy calendar with women with implants. Do Russians see no conflict here?
Nick, I've been trying to explain this to you for ages. There is not one Russia. There are two Russias, at least. I would say, in fact, there are three. There is the Russia of Putin and his rich and powerful ministers, generals, and oligarchs, and their children, the Gold Youth. This is the about 5% of the population who own everything and run the country. By origin, the people up there are Orthodox, Muslim, Jewish, and a few Buddhists too, and Moscow Mayor Sobyanin's mother is Khanty and those people worship fire. But, I believe, and most of us do, that those people have only one God among them: money.

Then, there is the Russia of regular people in Moscow and other large cities. This is the Russian middle class. Modest to somewhat religious, whatever confession they are; educated; work in respectable jobs: engineers, university professors, artists, journalists, etc.

And then, you have The Village. Very little education, take what jobs are available to them, and worship God or Allah or Buddha with all their heart, because they don't really have anything else, it is eitehr go to church/mosque/temple or grab a bottle of samogon (home made vodka) and drink oneself to death.

Quote:
2. How do Russians feel about Jesus's emphasis on forgiveness?
Well... Georgia bombed South Ossetia in August of '08. Did we forgive them?

Quote:
3. Do Russians love their neighbour?
See previous

Quote:
4. Do Russians think you should gather treasures on earth?
If you mean money, yes. We love money. Doesn't everyone.

Quote:
5. Sex before marriage? Do Russians avoid this?
I don't know, did I post, about a year ago, about a girl in Yakutia, Northern Siberia, 12 years old, who was pregnant and tehy had to take her birth right in her school's Biology classroom?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 04:06 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
(how do Russians feel about Jesus's emphasis on forgiveness?)

Well... Georgia bombed South Ossetia in August of '08. Did we forgive them?

(Do Russians love their neighbour?)

See previous

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post

If you mean money, yes. We love money. Doesn't everyone.

Well, I love being alive, and since money is necessary for that purpose, I can say that I love money.

But I am not interested in having a fast car, or a big house. I don't earn that much, but I love my work.

I'm interested in reading, running and learning languages and history.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Aug 26th 2011 at 04:11 PM.