Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Apr 11th 2011, 11:11 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Default 2011 MLB Season

I know we have a couple of serious baseball fans here. I'm not one of them, but I have a lot of fond memories of playing it as a kid. I think there are two huge problems plaguing the MLB, steroid use and the lack of a salary cap, but hopefully it can stay interesting. There also seems to be a lot of small-ball being played, which is frankly a hell of a lot more interesting than juiced up thugs banging balls over fences.

And of course the reason that I am starting this thread is that my darling Indians, after losing their first two, have gone seven straight.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index...be_smoref_face

Oddly, I suffer slightly bad in celebrating this, because my other favorite team has always been the Mariners.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 11:35 AM
Official Forum Lutheran

Default Re: 2011 MLB Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I know we have a couple of serious baseball fans here. I'm not one of them, but I have a lot of fond memories of playing it as a kid. I think there are two huge problems plaguing the MLB, steroid use and the lack of a salary cap, but hopefully it can stay interesting. There also seems to be a lot of small-ball being played, which is frankly a hell of a lot more interesting than juiced up thugs banging balls over fences.

And of course the reason that I am starting this thread is that my darling Indians, after losing their first two, have gone seven straight.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index...be_smoref_face

Oddly, I suffer slightly bad in celebrating this, because my other favorite team has always been the Mariners.
I think we can say that the steroid era is over, or at least coming to a close, if look at the dominance of pitching last season. Testing is becoming effective finally and the League seems to take the issue seriously now.

As for the salary cap, that is just not the way baseball is played nor do i think it is necessary. Both Tampa Bay and San Fransisco are good examples of this. the Tampa Bay Rays, for the last two years, have done very well winning the division with the two richest teams even though they are a small market team. The Giants, also a small market team, won the World Series last year. The fact that the Yankees, the richest team in baseball, couldn't sign Cliff Lee goes to prove the idea that you can't just buy a championship.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 12:50 PM
Globetrotter

Out of curiosity, what's the major argument against steroid usage in professional sports?
Old Apr 11th 2011, 01:08 PM
Official Forum Lutheran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the major argument against steroid usage in professional sports?
Well, usually the argument is that sports are about the skill of the person/team naturally. Steroids alter that.

In baseball specifically, one of the joys is comparing modern players to players of previous times (baseball is partially about history). With steroids, it becomes impossible to put modern players in context. Did Barry Bonds actually break the Home Run record because of his skill, or was it because of steroids? What shall we do with players of previous times who were great players without performance enhancers when their records are broken by players with performance enhancers?

In short, Steroids ruin the genuineness of the game.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 01:18 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
Well, usually the argument is that sports are about the skill of the person/team naturally. Steroids alter that.

In baseball specifically, one of the joys is comparing modern players to players of previous times (baseball is partially about history). With steroids, it becomes impossible to put modern players in context. Did Barry Bonds actually break the Home Run record because of his skill, or was it because of steroids? What shall we do with players of previous times who were great players without performance enhancers when their records are broken by players with performance enhancers?

In short, Steroids ruin the genuineness of the game.
Wasn't Babe Ruth (and others) also known for his massive alcohol consumption? Professional athletes have consumed alcohol to enhance their performance since Roman times. Are just modern drugs considered 'bad'?
Old Apr 11th 2011, 01:21 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Wasn't Babe Ruth (and others) also known for his massive alcohol consumption? Professional athletes have consumed alcohol to enhance their performance since Roman times. Are just modern drugs considered 'bad'?
Alcohol is a performance enhancer?
Old Apr 11th 2011, 01:28 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Alcohol is a performance enhancer?
Alcohol also acts as a blood thinner. The objective of most stimulants in sports is additional oxygen delivery through increased blood flow. A few ounces of alcohol can increase blood flow 7-10%.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 01:34 PM
Official Forum Lutheran

Quote:
Besides the fact that baseball isn't a Roman sport so I'm not concerned with that, the issue is that modern drugs do so much more. You can recover from injury faster, gain more stamina, hit the ball farther all in ways that are unnatural.

also, as Donkey said, Alcohol as a performance enhancer? It may allow you to play through more pain, but it is detrimental to hitting ability and pitching control.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 01:35 PM
Official Forum Mascot

If we allow steroids, we might as well allow bionic arm attachments.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 01:46 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
Besides the fact that baseball isn't a Roman sport so I'm not concerned with that, the issue is that modern drugs do so much more. You can recover from injury faster, gain more stamina, hit the ball farther all in ways that are unnatural.

also, as Donkey said, Alcohol as a performance enhancer? It may allow you to play through more pain, but it is detrimental to hitting ability and pitching control.
Too much alcohol would obviously be detrimental to reflexes and muscle control but what about enough remaining in an athletes system from 'the night before' to provide enhanced oxygen delivery? Is it not shunned because alcohol is a socially accepted drug and a major, major sports sponsoring advertiser?