Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Dec 6th 2010, 02:28 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Russia to Host World Cup in 2018

You know, I was talking to some friends. We started thinking: for Russia-England match at Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, Euro 2008, they had to surround the place with 10,000 OMON paramilitary troops

1,000 ODON (Dzerzhinsky Special Purpose Unit, FSB paramilitary) troops

maybe 20,000 regular police including horsemen

inside were thousands of plainclothes FSB, MUR (Mocow Criminal Police) and RUBOP (anti-organized crime police) operatives, and there were 50-man Specnaz teams concealed in the trees in the park around Luzhniki. According to some rumors, soldiers and officers from the Army's elite Kantemirov regiment, wearing civilian clothes, also mingled among the fans and helped keep order.

If that is what it took to pull off ONE successful match... What will they have to do for the entire World Cup?

I am feeling worse and worse about this.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

They probably were worried about an English victory - and the Russian fans not reacting well to that. Knowing that if that happened it would be HUGE news for European media (and kill any chance of Russia getting the World Cup). A Russian victory (2:1 in fact) wouldn't (and didn't) cause a mass-crowd security problem.

Given that, it doesn't surprise me that the 'authorities' pulled out all the stops to ensure that nothing violent was going to happen.

But you are right, if the authorities felt they needed that kind of security for one very high-profile match, then the World Cup is going to be nuts with more security forces than spectators!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:40 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
They probably were worried about an English victory - and the Russian fans not reacting well to that. Knowing that if that happened it would be HUGE news for European media (and kill any chance of Russia getting the World Cup). A Russian victory (2:1 in fact) wouldn't (and didn't) cause a mass-crowd security problem.

Given that, it doesn't surprise me that the 'authorities' pulled out all the stops to ensure that nothing violent was going to happen.

But you are right, if the authorities felt they needed that kind of security for one very high-profile match, then the World Cup is going to be nuts with more security forces than spectators!
Well, they are right to worry about the hooligans. Football hooligans here are more rabid than even the famous English.

Spartak Moscow fans particularly crazy

Though, Zenit Saint Petersburg is not far behind

Those two have had some epic street battles over the years, Red vs Blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIBlJ9wmXtc

Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:22 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Eh. That's nothing I didn't see in South America. Plus those are club teams, yeah?
Old Dec 7th 2010, 12:00 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Eh. That's nothing I didn't see in South America. Plus those are club teams, yeah?
Yes. For World Cup I fear they'll join forces.

Along with 3d Wildest: Rubin Kazan

These guys burned down their home stadium, three years ago, after Rubin lost to their great rival, Dinamo Ufa.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 12:02 AM
Official Forum Mascot

In my experience, the passions run WAY higher in club rivalry than in international matches.

In South America, the club matches are often dangerous, whereas the international games are the "family games" where you take your kids.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 10:48 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

As far as I'm concerned, Russia seeking to increase her prestige and international profile by hosting Olympics and the World Cup is a great improvement over previous or alternative methods (i.e. massive Warsaw Pact armies and Cold War posturing).
Old Dec 8th 2010, 05:01 PM
Globetrotter

Yesterday we had another fun time with football fans

Recently, a Spartak Moscow hooligan was killed in a fight, died after being shot with a pneumatic weapon.

Quote:
"He saw the fight. One of the people being beaten was his friend. He screamed for them to stop and fired twice into the ground, - said Goncharova - after that, they went after him. He was grabbed from behind, wrestled onto the front of a car."
According to his lawyer, with his free hand, in which he managed to keep the pistol, Cherkesov fired backward, and could not see if he hit anyone. As a result, 4 bullets killed Sviridov, killing him.

The lawyer explains that Cherkesov bought the gun after being attacked several times in the Metro and on commuter trains, for his visible Caucasian ethnicity

http://www.gazeta.ru/social/2010/12/08/3460001.shtml
So, just for the record, Aslan Cherkesov was defending his friend and himself from neo-nazi Spartak fan motherfuckers.

Anyway, yesterday evening, we had maybe a thousand idiots in black clothes and masks

block Leningradsky Prospekt, one of the busiest streets. Traffic was backed up for hours. For some reason, OMON, instead of doing something good with their batons and tear gas for once, simply negotiated with the hooligans to get them to step aside and let cars pass. Frankly, some of the drivers wanted to take matters in their own hands, at times. But, OMON surrounded the hooligans, separating them from others.

And they promise more actions like these. Cowards. I am going to have my rifle in the back seat of my car from now on. Any Fratria (Spartak hooligan association) asshole who tries to mess with me, or my family, will get a bullet in the stomach, and not a rubber or gas one. I am sick of them.

As the guys in Derbent, Dagestan said, in a good message to Spartak, Last time Anzhy played Spartak, half a year ago:

'Our Grandfathers helped kill Hitler. We'll kill his grandsons too.'

At least some want to defend our Grandfathers' honor and memory, not spit on it every day.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
'Our Grandfathers helped kill Hitler. We'll kill his grandsons too.'

At least some want to defend our Grandfathers' honor and memory, not spit on it every day.
Yes, that's good to see. This is called 'pluralism' where different groups in society push for the ideas that they favor.

Russia beat the Nazis once. I'm hopeful they can do it again.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 12:04 PM
Official Forum Mascot

And those are both "Russian" teams yeah?

Which I think bolsters my point that international games will be more chill.