Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Apr 29th 2012, 10:31 AM
Globetrotter

Default 2012 Olympics Security

Source

Olympics Motto "Swifter, Higher, Stronger."
Old Apr 30th 2012, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: 2012 Olympics Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Source

Olympics Motto "Swifter, Higher, Stronger."
And people always ask me why I have strongly opposed every Toronto bid to host some stupid Olympics spectacle.

Suffice it to say that Toronto has lost two serious attempts to land the Olympics chiefly because the political opposition (Bread Not Circus Coalition) made it known to the Olympic committee that we were totally against it and would fight it every step of the way. That was apparently enough to get Toronto's 'winning bid' shelved (twice). Apparently the IOC is the only place democratic activism works rather well!

I pity the poor fools who live in any city that gets blighted by the Olympics boondoggle. It is a horror story.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 09:09 PM
Official Forum Mascot

The Olympics should probably get permanent homes, then each year the countries can rotate who is the "guest host."
Old May 1st 2012, 05:35 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
The Olympics should probably get permanent homes, then each year the countries can rotate who is the "guest host."
As long as there are mayors with big egos and city councils filled with idiots, there will always be some sucker city willing to go a billion dollars in debt, undergo three years of construction/traffic nightmares just for a couple of weeks of glory.

I've never seen any shortage of egotist mayors or idiot city councils.
Old May 1st 2012, 09:17 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
As long as there are mayors with big egos and city councils filled with idiots, there will always be some sucker city willing to go a billion dollars in debt, undergo three years of construction/traffic nightmares just for a couple of weeks of glory.

I've never seen any shortage of egotist mayors or idiot city councils.
Politicians in democratic countries are normally put in place by special interests who make fortunes off the public teat. Every power position knows the masses require their circus and facilitating it is never a non-profit endeavor. I was looking at a UK forum and the nationalism regarding their hosting the Olympic Games was almost without exception. Spectator sports fans are spectator sports fans.