Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Society, Media & Culture

Society, Media & Culture Sociology, lifestyles, psychology, paranormal, media studies and all things cultural.

Old Feb 13th 2014, 05:34 PM
Globetrotter

Default Euthanasia for children

Since today, Belgium is the only country in the world where euthanasia for children is legal.

Now, first and foremost I must stress that this has nothing, zilch, nada, niente, rien du tout to do with what e.g. the Nazis did. Just like it was with the 2002 law that made euthanasia legal for adults, it's the person suffering intolerable pain who in principle makes the decision and no one else. 'The gubberment' has no part or rights in this decision.

The obvious problem here is of course whether children are at all capable of making this decision. Does a ten year old really understand death ? I don't think so but the counterargument is equally valid: does anyone really? I don't think so either; as was argued in the discussion, the differentiation between adults and children is entirely arbitrary. And just as it is the case with adults, it is understood that the decision is made in conjunction with all concerned, i.e. next of kin and the medical team that treats them (which also includes psychological support for that matter). So, basically the case for children is considered to be entirely equal to that for adults and that's why the 2002 law has been extended to include minors.

I should also note that this will affect literally at most a handful of cases. There aren't that many cases were children have a disease where the outcome is 100% certain (death) and where they are at the same time still fully cognitive.

Now, some of you might consider this a religious issue rather than an ethical, social, cultural, moral, medical (and whatnot) one and you're of course entitled to bringing that aspect into the discussion but I won't be able to shed much light on it for this particular local situation because religion has played almost no role in the whole discussion here. 'God' wasn't mentioned once in the transcript of the discussion, not even by the Christian democrats.

For the record, the vote went 84 for, 44 against and 12 representatives abstained.

So, what do you all think of this complex and delicate issue ?
Old Feb 14th 2014, 01:36 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Euthanasia for children

It is a complicated question... On one hand, taking the life of a child is horrible... But so is leaving them to suffer in pain... I do not know... I do not have the answer for you.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 02:09 AM
Globetrotter

what are you high? this is some hoax or something. wake up, get off the hashish...
Old Feb 14th 2014, 02:28 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
what are you high? this is some hoax or something. wake up, get off the hashish...
Nobody is high. If a child has some screwed up cancer or something and is suffering in horrible pain, what do you want to do? Think about it, this stuff could drive a grown man, an officer, a fucking Admiral, to suicide: http://www.discussionworldforum.com/...11&postcount=1

What would it do to a little child?
Old Feb 14th 2014, 02:55 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Nobody is high. If a child has some screwed up cancer or something and is suffering in horrible pain, what do you want to do? Think about it, this stuff could drive a grown man, an officer, a fucking Admiral, to suicide: http://www.discussionworldforum.com/...11&postcount=1

What would it do to a little child?
what is wrong with you. seriously?
Old Feb 14th 2014, 03:17 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
what is wrong with you. seriously?
I have Christian compassion?
Old Feb 14th 2014, 06:31 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
I have Christian compassion?
I don't get it why is there a question mark?
Old Feb 14th 2014, 09:39 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Nope, neither hoax nor drug induced. In fact, the world press was all over it. Here's two articles in English about it:
CNN
BBC
They're both pretty poor articles though. They don't really represent the complexity of the debate that preceded the establishment of the law.

I take it you have an issue with this law ?
Old Feb 14th 2014, 10:00 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Nope, neither hoax nor drug induced. In fact, the world press was all over it. Here's two articles in English about it:
CNN
BBC
They're both pretty poor articles though. They don't really represent the complexity of the debate that preceded the establishment of the law.

I take it you have an issue with this law ?
man. no way this makes sense. no effing way.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 10:04 AM
Official Forum Mascot

It does make sense. Why must an individual suffer simply because they are not yet 18?

This isn't a full throated endorsement of the law... just kind of where my mind is right now.