Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Old Nov 23rd 2013, 10:18 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
The Prince is also mostly bullshit, based on Machiavelli's other writings which illustrate an entirely different perspective on the state and government.
So Machiavelli presents two different perspectives and you decide the conventional one is his true viewpoint and the unconventional one is bullshit?

On what basis do you make that assumption? I should think the 'context' of the authorship would suggest things were the other way around.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 07:57 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
So Machiavelli presents two different perspectives and you decide the conventional one is his true viewpoint and the unconventional one is bullshit?

On what basis do you make that assumption? I should think the 'context' of the authorship would suggest things were the other way around.
There is a good deal of scholarship which contends that The Prince was written out of circumstantial expediency, whereas The Discourses represent his actual beliefs.

In short, the Prince is a how-to (maybe) for a dictator. The Discourses advocate republican values.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
There is a good deal of scholarship which contends that The Prince was written out of circumstantial expediency, whereas The Discourses represent his actual beliefs.

In short, the Prince is a how-to (maybe) for a dictator. The Discourses advocate republican values.
I don't agree with that interpretation - I think it is backwards.

There has always been great efforts to debunk-devalue what Machiavelli said in The Prince because it just isn't flattering of human nature or morality - this has been non-stop since the day it was published (it was on the Catholic 'black list' for hundreds of years). People desperately want to believe that humans are noble and capable of republicanism (and not nasty selfish brutes like The Prince makes them out to be).

Early 16th century Italy was wall-to-wall dictatorships (pretending to be republicans). That was reality and pretty much still is.

In other words, if we assume that the Machiavelli's Dscourses are Machiavelli's true analysis and the The Prince is just some temporary expediency, then we are left with Machiavelli as completely irrelevant. I think that interpretation is absurd. The Prince is the world that Machiavelli lived in and that's the world we still live in today.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 10:55 PM
Villager

Handbook of Probability by Ionut Florescu and Ciprian A. Tudor.
"It always remains a scandal of philosophy and universal human reason that the existence of things outside us ... should have to be assumed merely on faith, and that if it occurs to anyone to doubt it, we should be unable to answer him with a satisfactory proof."

~~~Kant
Old Nov 24th 2013, 11:47 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
I don't agree with that interpretation - I think it is backwards.

There has always been great efforts to debunk-devalue what Machiavelli said in The Prince because it just isn't flattering of human nature or morality - this has been non-stop since the day it was published (it was on the Catholic 'black list' for hundreds of years). People desperately want to believe that humans are noble and capable of republicanism (and not nasty selfish brutes like The Prince makes them out to be).

Early 16th century Italy was wall-to-wall dictatorships (pretending to be republicans). That was reality and pretty much still is.

In other words, if we assume that the Machiavelli's Dscourses are Machiavelli's true analysis and the The Prince is just some temporary expediency, then we are left with Machiavelli as completely irrelevant. I think that interpretation is absurd. The Prince is the world that Machiavelli lived in and that's the world we still live in today.
Eh. I don't really see pursuing this as constructive, to be honest.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 08:06 PM
Citizen

Quote:

Good question! If you aren't looking at the literature itself, or at it's historical context, or even at a combination of the two, how do you determine your interpenetration is correct?

I never said anything about the author's intent--I'm completely uninterested in the author's intent. But you did.

I'm confused.

Let's go back to your first example, and follow it to the logical conclusion.

You don't like Hemingway.

Why?

Well, you said that a "good piece of American literature ought say something meaningful about America, otherwise, it is just "literature" and not "American literature."

Considering this criteria is, at least a little, less arbitrary and subjective than "my own taste," I'm stuck with only using that. (Plus, you're Canadian, so what would you know )

OK, so, Hemingway, a post-war ex-pat who writes extensively about the lives and situations of post-war ex-pats would, in theory, say something incredibly meaningful about America and the state of American citizens after the Great War.

Looking at Hemingway's style we see a shift away from the grandiose verbosity of years prior (like good old James), into that shell-shocked articulation of concrete scenarios. This, we can argue, lead us directly into the hard-boiled era of the 1940s. This literary shift says a great deal about the work on it's own--creating atmosphere and setting tone--and says a great deal about the subject matter.

You say you look at the actual result of the thing--but how do you determine that? Because the way you're talking about it, it seems exactly like you're referring to the text as an isolated entity. Which is fine--that's a perfectly OK way to look at a text. It's a partial knowledge, but who am I to judge what limitations you put on your own analysis? You're the one putting 100% value on content, not me.

You say of Mach's The Prince that "the content of the book is essentially timeless and transcends the author or the author's time and place of authorship." We could also say this about Hemingway's war veterans suffering from PTSD.

Your taste is subjective, but you're objectively calling multiple works/authors to be "unreadable/mediocre/shit when one actually reads them." Again, this is completely subjective.

But who am I to question you? After all, once again you've prefaced your subjective opinion with a shout-out to your education and experience: "I've certainly read more than a few in that category."
Old Nov 26th 2013, 06:37 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coddfish View Post
But who am I to question you? After all, once again you've prefaced your subjective opinion with a shout-out to your education and experience: "I've certainly read more than a few in that category."
I was all set to reply to your posted questions, until I got to this last bit and decided not to bother.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 08:36 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl Scowl View Post
Handbook of Probability by Ionut Florescu and Ciprian A. Tudor.
Seems interesting. But too bloody expensive.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 07:54 PM
Globetrotter

I did a little inventory and found out that I currently have 34 unfinished books, i.e. books I once started but never finished. Some go back decades
That's one New Year's resolution chosen.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 08:48 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
I did a little inventory and found out that I currently have 34 unfinished books, i.e. books I once started but never finished. Some go back decades
That's one New Year's resolution chosen.
I have personally found that when I get halfway through a book and stop reading it, just leave it be and forget about it. Coming back to the book only reminds you why you stopped reading it the first time around. And the books never, ever improve. If the first half of the book sucks, the second half is likely to be even worse.