Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Old May 2nd 2009, 02:59 PM
World Citizen

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The series is fairly old and thus is usually available on eBay or in used book stores.

The first three books form a trilogy (and highly enjoyable read) and I think the 4th book is the masterpiece of the series (God Emperor). There are mixed opinions about the 5th and 6th books.
I forgot to ever post what I thought of Dune. I really enjoyed it. It isn't what I expected though. It is a science fiction setting but really it's more like fantasy and really well written fantasy at that. I plan on started the second book of the series after a while but I'm half way through reading It. I started it out of boredom one day. After reading a post by Dominick about Insomnia I figured I would give it a try. I read The Stand years ago and loved it other than the ending which comes out of nowhere and doesn't fit with the book at all. Later The Drunk Guy turned me on to The Dark Tower series and I loved it and thought I would give King another chance and picked up It. I never committed to starting it though since it's 1100 pages long and put it off. So far I'm enjoying it but yeah his editor should have been more aggressive. Too many main characters with their whole life stories told throughout.
Old May 2nd 2009, 07:26 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofme View Post
Too many main characters with their whole life stories told throughout.
But that stuffs really important!

Maybe he had just bought a really good book about character development.

Speaking of which...I'm developing characters right now. I have a good list and plan to expand when I get deeper into the plot. I have a picture of a sweeping epic, but it's gonna take a lot of work to get it fleshed out. I think book one is gonna be small, book two is going to open up a bit and book three is going to be this huge bastard of a story.
Old May 2nd 2009, 07:53 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post

Maybe he had just bought a really good book about character development.

Speaking of which...I'm developing characters right now. I have a good list and plan to expand when I get deeper into the plot. I have a picture of a sweeping epic, but it's gonna take a lot of work to get it fleshed out. I think book one is gonna be small, book two is going to open up a bit and book three is going to be this huge bastard of a story.
Keep a posting.
Old May 2nd 2009, 08:46 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
(at least until I'm gainfully employed).
It's so feel free to reply elsewhere but how are your prospects there ? IIRC you wanted something meaningful. Do you have any success there in this day and age ?
Old May 2nd 2009, 08:47 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
I agree. The more the better even if that means a book expands to a hydro-electric dam-like size.
Old May 2nd 2009, 08:49 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
It's so feel free to reply elsewhere but how are your prospects there ? IIRC you wanted something meaningful. Do you have any success there in this day and age ?
Well, I've found a few that I'm applying for.

There are always people in a worse off situation... the trick is to get somebody to pay you for helping them.
Old May 2nd 2009, 09:38 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
I agree. The more the better even if that means a book expands to a hydro-electric dam-like size.
I think that depends. A few of the main characters are both interesting and important to the main story. Others are just there in order for the book to go off on a long tangent that just distracts and takes away from the main story. It's like watching a really good movie with a twenty minute episode of some random boring sitcom thrown in the middle that happens to take place in the same town.
Old May 21st 2009, 11:34 PM
World Citizen

I just finished Dune Messiah and honestly I like the first book much better although it was definitely worth picking up. I plan on reading Children of Dune later but first I'm giving iRobot a shot. I know it seems like quite a bit of science fiction but I do like other things. I also have a copy of Carrie lying around I plan on getting around to.

I took so long because I read IT by Stephen King which I had lying around and was reminded of when Dominick said he was reading Insomnia. It was the first King book outside of The Dark Tower Series I actually liked although almost 1200 pages was a little unnecessary.

Last edited by partofme; May 21st 2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old May 22nd 2009, 09:20 AM
This wine needs more whisky

Chuck Palahniuk's Snuff. I started reading it before finals and never got to finish it, but I needed something to get me away from all the document readers for History class. Plus, I love how Palahniuk makes me feel better about myself and my own deep, dark, fucked up thoughts.

Ah! Which reminds me...In another class we read Primo Levi's Survival in Aushwitz, which I found surprisingly good, and Diamond's Collapse.
Old May 22nd 2009, 09:32 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
Chuck Palahniuk's Snuff. I started reading it before finals and never got to finish it, but I needed something to get me away from all the document readers for History class. Plus, I love how Palahniuk makes me feel better about myself and my own deep, dark, fucked up thoughts.

Ah! Which reminds me...In another class we read Primo Levi's Survival in Aushwitz, which I found surprisingly good, and Diamond's Collapse.
I love Palahniuk's older work but I haven't read anything else since Haunted which I thought was awful.