Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #111  
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:14 AM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Where have you traveled to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
I have been to nearly 100 countries round the world, more or less exclusively by over land travel. I dont think you really want me to name every one of them but the short version is that I have never been to south america. Otherwise, I have been just about everywhere.
I would say you're missing out, but you've clearly kept yourself busy!
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old Aug 9th 2013, 02:48 PM
Pestilence's Avatar
Pestilence Pestilence is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Skåne
Posts: 888
Default Re: Where have you traveled to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I would say you're missing out, but you've clearly kept yourself busy!

I hope you're not going to be one of those, "If you haven't been to South American then you have seen nothing of the world". Oh, those people bore me!
__________________
"Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build bridges even where there are no rivers."
Nikita Khrushchev
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old Aug 9th 2013, 03:03 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Where have you traveled to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
I hope you're not going to be one of those, "If you haven't been to South American then you have seen nothing of the world". Oh, those people bore me!
I've ONLY done western hemisphere travel, from Toronto to Buenos Aires, and quite a bit in between. In a general sense you're missing out, but not relative to what you've probably already seen. I can't wait to go back to South America, but I'm not sure if we'll get down there or go to Eastern Europe first.

It's a catch .22. I've been all over South America, and my wife has been to Hungary a lot (including being born there), so neither is new for us.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old Aug 9th 2013, 03:27 PM
Pestilence's Avatar
Pestilence Pestilence is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Skåne
Posts: 888
Default Re: Where have you traveled to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I've ONLY done western hemisphere travel, from Toronto to Buenos Aires, and quite a bit in between. In a general sense you're missing out, but not relative to what you've probably already seen. I can't wait to go back to South America, but I'm not sure if we'll get down there or go to Eastern Europe first.

It's a catch .22. I've been all over South America, and my wife has been to Hungary a lot (including being born there), so neither is new for us.
What was Theroux's book ..... the Patagonia Express or something like that. A good read!
__________________
"Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build bridges even where there are no rivers."
Nikita Khrushchev
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old Aug 9th 2013, 06:08 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: Where have you traveled to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
I have been to nearly 100 countries round the world, more or less exclusively by over land travel. I dont think you really want me to name every one of them but the short version is that I have never been to south america. Otherwise, I have been just about everywhere.
Wow, that's impressive.

Overland travel eh? That must have been tricky getting to Oz and NZ!
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old Aug 10th 2013, 01:44 AM
Pestilence's Avatar
Pestilence Pestilence is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Skåne
Posts: 888
Default Re: Where have you traveled to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Wow, that's impressive.

Overland travel eh? That must have been tricky getting to Oz and NZ!

Haven't been to NZ but I used weights round my ankles and an extended snorkel to get from Jakarta to Perth. My patent is now pending
__________________
"Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build bridges even where there are no rivers."
Nikita Khrushchev
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old Aug 10th 2013, 10:35 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: Where have you traveled to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
Haven't been to NZ but I used weights round my ankles and an extended snorkel to get from Jakarta to Perth. My patent is now pending
Unfortunately, if this were true, you'd be dead.

Snorkels more that six feet in length will kill you unless the snorkel's air stream is supported with a power-source stronger than your lungs.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old Aug 10th 2013, 02:31 PM
Pestilence's Avatar
Pestilence Pestilence is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Skåne
Posts: 888
Default Re: Where have you traveled to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Unfortunately, if this were true, you'd be dead.

Snorkels more that six feet in length will kill you unless the snorkel's air stream is supported with a power-source stronger than your lungs.
I have taken all of that into consideration and made the necessary adjustments. As I said, my patent is pending and there's more to it than heavy feet and a tube. You didn't think that I'd include the best secrets in my first reply, did you?

I will only say that it incorporates an advanced, triple polarized, flux capacitor, similar to the one used by the esteemed Dr. Emmett Brown.
__________________
"Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build bridges even where there are no rivers."
Nikita Khrushchev
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old Aug 11th 2013, 04:50 AM
Dominick's Avatar
Dominick Dominick is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dying Europe
Posts: 3,837
Default Re: Where have you traveled to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
I have been to nearly 100 countries round the world, more or less exclusively by over land travel. I dont think you really want me to name every one of them but the short version is that I have never been to south america. Otherwise, I have been just about everywhere.
If you can answer this without unnecessarily giving away personal information :
how do you do that ? 100 countries ? At my rate I'd need 15 lifetimes for that
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old Aug 11th 2013, 05:09 AM
Pestilence's Avatar
Pestilence Pestilence is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Skåne
Posts: 888
Default Re: Where have you traveled to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
If you can answer this without unnecessarily giving away personal information :
how do you do that ? 100 countries ? At my rate I'd need 15 lifetimes for that
There are almost 200 countries in the world today.

Tally up every country in Europe except for Belarus. Count the countries from Morrocco to Turkey then from Egypt down to the RSA. Add a few from West Africa too. Draw a bead from Europe to Thailand then down to Australia and up again to Japan. Take in the North American nations and a couple in the Carib. There's a hundred. One lifetime is all you need.
__________________
"Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build bridges even where there are no rivers."
Nikita Khrushchev
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com