Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:06 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Default Fantasy Football 2010

It's that time of the year. As promised, I created World Football League over on ESPN. I have 9 open spots right now. Who ever is interested, send me a PM with your email addy so that I can send you and invite from the League HQ.

Please keep in mind that this will be an active League. I want everyone to feel welcome and have fun, so it shouldn't be too hard to stay active.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 01:10 PM
Official Forum Geek

Default Re: Fantasy Football 2010

What are the stakes?
Old Aug 14th 2009, 05:19 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
What are the stakes?
How typically American... only interested in the money!
Old Aug 14th 2009, 07:05 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
What are the stakes?
Well, we will play head-to-head match-ups on a weekly basis. Feel free to make a wager with whom you please. As for the grand winner, I offer the humble prize of beer for an evening. If you can't make it to my place, then I suppose I could splurge and mail you a 12pack of PBR.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 09:52 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Is "Fantasy Football" the type of game where you call construct your own teams and trade players with each other?

I'm just curious, I have zero knowledge of NFL Football, but I do know that Fantasy Hockey pools are played up here all the time (they have one going at my office) and these guys spend all summer negotiating trades with each other.

Some of these pools do play for some impressive stakes... usually pooled from the 'entrance fee'.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 11:13 AM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Is "Fantasy Football" the type of game where you call construct your own teams and trade players with each other?

I'm just curious, I have zero knowledge of NFL Football, but I do know that Fantasy Hockey pools are played up here all the time (they have one going at my office) and these guys spend all summer negotiating trades with each other.

Some of these pools do play for some impressive stakes... usually pooled from the 'entrance fee'.
It is. And I would have an entrance fee, but it's the first year and I'm just trying to get people right now. I'm afraid, from the way it's looking so far, that I'll have to make the league public just to get all my teams filled.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 01:04 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Why We Play Fantasy Football
By Jon Stonger

What is it about drafting an imaginary team in an imaginary league for an imaginary season that gets us so excited?
http://www.hereticalideas.com/2009/0...tasy-football/

I read the article and I'm as ignorant about the game as I was before I read the article. The article seems to be addressed only to those who already play the game and enjoy it. Sort of a celebration of a passion rather than a meaningful explanation of it.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 05:01 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
http://www.hereticalideas.com/2009/0...tasy-football/

I read the article and I'm as ignorant about the game as I was before I read the article. The article seems to be addressed only to those who already play the game and enjoy it. Sort of a celebration of a passion rather than a meaningful explanation of it.
For me, it's an enhancement of the sport. More so than SportsCenter, fantasy football keeps me watching the games and tracking injuries and hot-streaks all weekend long. I find myself yelling expletives at players I love and cheering players I hate, but throughout it all, I love football with a passion.

In practice, the game is purely a numbers game. You select players in a draft based on their numerical performance value. For instance, running backs score more touchdowns than any other position, so starting running backs flood the first three rounds of a draft. Quarterbacks throw many touchdowns, but those points can also apply to a wide receiver or tight end who receives that touchdown.

In short, to play and really enjoy it, you have to love watching the game and you have to know enough about the sport to know when to play a sleeper player and when to bench a superstar.