Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Apr 5th 2016, 03:52 PM
Globetrotter

Default Leicester City F. C.

There is about a month to go of the English football (soccer) league season (2015-16) and Leicester City are seven points clear at the top. If they win it, it will be one of the biggest sensations I can remember, in football. I'd put it alongside Denmark's European Championship triumph in 1992, and Greece's European Championship triumph in 2004. So one of the three biggest football sensations I can remember, in football, if they actually manage to do it.

And in case anyone was wondering, this isn't a case of Leicester City suddenly coming into big money to spend on players. They've spent modestly, as they usually do, on players.

So, let's see if they do it - only a month to go.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Apr 5th 2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 06:15 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Leicester City F. C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
There is about a month to go of the English football (soccer) league season (2015-16) and Leicester City are seven points clear at the top. If they win it, it will be one of the biggest sensations I can remember, in football. I'd put it alongside Denmark's European Championship triumph in 1992, and Greece's European Championship triumph in 2004. So one of the three biggest football sensations I can remember, in football, if they actually manage to do it.

And in case anyone was wondering, this isn't a case of Leicester City suddenly coming into big money to spend on players. They've spent modestly, as they usually do, on players.

So, let's see if they do it - only a month to go.
I wish them luck. It is always good to see 'underdog' teams do well.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 09:17 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Always like an underdog. I don't follow European soccer much, but hey.
Old May 2nd 2016, 05:43 PM
Globetrotter

They've done it!!! Congratulations to Leicester City, Champions of England, in one of the biggest sensations in football history!!!
Old May 2nd 2016, 07:25 PM
Official Forum Mascot

5000 to 1 odds. Impressive to say the least.
Old May 3rd 2016, 06:08 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
5000 to 1 odds. Impressive to say the least.
I read a few articles today pointing out that the 5000 to 1 odds given out was statistically absurd, even without hindsight. It is not unheard of for 14th or 16th rank teams to win championships the following year. Anyway, any bookie that took bets on those odds deserves to go broke for sheer incompetence in bookmaking.
Old May 3rd 2016, 10:24 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I read a few articles today pointing out that the 5000 to 1 odds given out was statistically absurd, even without hindsight. It is not unheard of for 14th or 16th rank teams to win championships the following year. Anyway, any bookie that took bets on those odds deserves to go broke for sheer incompetence in bookmaking.
Bookies never lose. In fact, they can't. The total of all the inputs multiplied by the odds is always lower than the total input. That's pretty simple to make sure off even in real time with proper computer hardware. It's the whole point of being a bookie. It's free money.

The reports that the bookies 'lost' 25 million are nonsense. They have to pay out that amount to those who bet on that particular team. But that's coming out of everybody's input who bet on other teams and who win nothing.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 04:58 PM
Globetrotter

Claudio Ranieri has been sacked as Leicester City manager. Nine months after performing one of the most amazing feats in the history of football, by guiding Leicester City to the Premier League title, Claudio Ranieri has been sacked by Leicester. This season, they've been struggling in the bottom end of the table, and could get relegated in May. It's a sour end for the fairy-tale of Ranieri. But no one can take away from him his utterly fantastic achievement.