Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Old Jun 1st 2011, 03:22 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Dan Brown

Well, they weren't reading about them either in the 80s or 90s. Indiana Jones was the most intellectual hollywood production in those days and it was utter shite.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 03:30 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I'm thanking you for acknolwledging that Dan Brown has done a public service. I certainly think he has. I remember the 80s and 90s and young people were not talking about Leonardo Da Vinci, the Illuminati, CERN or phi - they were talking about Wham. Samantha Fox, hairsprays and Dynasty.
Oh, I see what you're saying -- essentially that Dan Brown created popular interest in academic subjects that were not the subject of public interest previously. I think this is along the lines of something I read about Harry Potter books getting a lot of people to read who didn't normally or previously read.

For a fiction writer, I suppose the good of this type of public service would need to be weighed against the potential for creating inaccurate beliefs (though the latter is probably not the author's fault, as such, if people accept fictional works as sources of fact).
Old Jun 1st 2011, 03:38 PM
Globetrotter

And when you weigh this public service against Dan Brown's 'alledged and un-backed-up thus far by examples' tendency towards inaccuracy, do you find him in credit or in debt?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 03:41 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Well, they weren't reading about them either in the 80s or 90s. Indiana Jones was the most intellectual hollywood production in those days and it was utter shite.
What was shite about Indiana Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
Oh, I see what you're saying -- essentially that Dan Brown created popular interest in academic subjects that were not the subject of public interest previously. I think this is along the lines of something I read about Harry Potter books getting a lot of people to read who didn't normally or previously read.
Eh. But only a few delusional 10 year olds (the year before Hogwarts would have called) bought into the fiction as reality.

Quote:

For a fiction writer, I suppose the good of this type of public service would need to be weighed against the potential for creating inaccurate beliefs (though the latter is probably not the author's fault, as such, if people accept fictional works as sources of fact).
Unless it was intentional...
Old Jun 1st 2011, 03:43 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Unless it was intentional...
Yeah, I was presupposing that it wasn't. I'm unaware of any agenda of Dan Brown (which isn't to say it doesn't exist -- I'm just not aware of it, probably due to general apathy about him and his novels).
Old Jun 1st 2011, 03:44 PM
Globetrotter

drgoodtrip And when you weigh this public service against Dan Brown's 'alledged and un-backed-up thus far by examples' tendency towards inaccuracy, do you find him in credit or in debt?

Donkey, Indiana Jones was totally unrealistic. Being chased through a tunnel by a large round stone??? How utterly ridiculous!
Plus, in Indiana Jones and the last Crusade has him meeting a knight who has been waiting for him in a cave for 1000 years. Der! How long do people live usually!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 03:46 PM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
And when you weigh this public service against Dan Brown's 'alledged and un-backed-up thus far by examples' tendency towards inaccuracy, do you find him in credit or in debt?
I don't know. It seems unlikely to me that it's had much long term effect on society in either direction, the outrage of Evangelicals and fundies at the time notwithstanding.

As a cynical litmus test, it's my opinion that if fundamentalist Christians get worked up over something, it's probably not important.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 03:46 PM
Globetrotter

Oh, so the Life Of Brian isn't important?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 03:48 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
Yeah, I was presupposing that it wasn't. I'm unaware of any agenda of Dan Brown (which isn't to say it doesn't exist -- I'm just not aware of it, probably due to general apathy about him and his novels).
I think his only agenda is to get rich. I don't think ethics enters into his equations.
Quote:
drgoodtrip And when you weigh this public service against Dan Brown's 'alledged and un-backed-up thus far by examples' tendency towards inaccuracy, do you find him in credit or in debt?

Donkey, Indiana Jones was totally unrealistic. Being chased through a tunnel by a large round stone??? How utterly ridiculous!
Plus, in Indiana Jones and the last Crusade has him meeting a knight who has been waiting for him in a cave for 1000 years. Der! How long do people live usually!
What is the problem with fantasy and science fiction?

Do you have similar objections to Lord of the Rings, Dune, X-men, Harry Potter, The Iliad, Dante's Inferno, Peter Pan, etc.?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 03:50 PM
Globetrotter

Donkey, okay, maybe I was wrong about Indiana Jones. I must confess that it is a long time since I saw those three films, and I didn't see the last one.