Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Crusader Kings II

Crusader Kings II Do you like to play Crusader Kings? Looking for help, tips or strategies?

Old Oct 16th 2014, 08:40 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default DLC and Expansions

So has anyone been playing any of the DLC's?

So far I've only played the vanilla game, but I do have the Old Gods and Legacy of Rome available - I just haven't explored them yet. Might be fun to do the Pagan thing, conquer England and then convert to Christianity. Likewise with doing the Byzantines starting in the 9th century - I suppose that would be Non's favorite game. I shall have to try it.

I definitely do use the various extra 'portrait' packs that came with the game (first time I played, everyone in the world looked almost identical!).

And a new DLC Charlemagne apparently just came out this week - and a new game patch - version 2.2 which I just downloaded. Quite a few small changes to the game.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 02:07 AM
World Citizen

Default Re: DLC and Expansions

I actually bought the whole game a while back, but never really got into it since I have a bunch of other games and my girlfriend's been keeping me very busy over the past year. I'm not sure if we're going to stay together since she's been very critical, negative, and argumentative lately, but hopefully, we will.

Anyway, Charlemagne seems like an overhaul with the custom empires, chronicles, and assassination and regency changes...

...but tbh, I just got Vic 2 Complete, so I'll probably end up playing that before getting Charlemagne nevermind the fact that I have to actually play through CK2. Danubian Federation ftw!

So little time and so many things to do... ugh/lol

If you have Steam, let me know. We can compare game libraries.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 09:55 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
And a new DLC Charlemagne apparently just came out this week - and a new game patch - version 2.2 which I just downloaded. Quite a few small changes to the game.
And LOTS of game-killing bugs too!

I've had to revert back to 2.16 version. Hopefully they will fix the bugs soon because I really like most of the changes introduced.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
If you have Steam, let me know. We can compare game libraries.
My steam game library consists of Civ5 and CK2. That's it. I can't imagine ever adding another game. And I never play multiplayer anything.

Over the last fifteen years, I've only played Civilization, Sim City, Space Empires and now Crusader Kings. In many cases, I don't really like the newest version of the games and much prefer playing older versions (Civ, SimCity and Space Empires).
Old Oct 19th 2014, 10:15 AM
World Citizen

Yea, I'm not a big fan of Civ 5. A lot of the features are completely meaningless in a multiplayer game (such as WotW since they hold you back from city expansion), and your success often boils down to just starting in advantageous terrain. The game becomes, "Ancient Barbarian Combat with Dice" or as I say, "Random ABCs." Typically, I like to play Siam in SP and build Stonehenge and the Mausoleum of Hellicarnasus and then use religion to improve city-state relationships as well as expand my religion to use the Just War bonus and Reformation belief that lets you purchase post-industrial units with faith, but that strategy never works in MP since people just rush you with classical and medieval units. Basically, MP plays out as, "Go Liberty or die" in social policies. That way, you get the free settler and worker.

Do you have Civ 4 or Alpha Centauri? We can still play Civ 5 if you want as a team which pools research and automatically allies with you. I used to do that with friends before Beyond Earth came out and they started playing that.

Otherwise, you'd have to show me the ins and outs of CK2. I've gone through some tutorials, but didn't have much time to check everything out.

Last edited by Daktoria; Oct 19th 2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Yea, I'm not a big fan of Civ 5. A lot of the features are completely meaningless in a multiplayer game (such as WotW since they hold you back from city expansion), and your success often boils down to just starting in advantageous terrain. The game becomes, "Ancient Barbarian Combat with Dice" or as I say, "Random ABCs." Typically, I like to play Siam in SP and build Stonehenge and the Mausoleum of Hellicarnasus and then use religion to improve city-state relationships as well as expand my religion to use the Just War bonus and Reformation belief that lets you purchase post-industrial units with faith, but that strategy never works in MP since people just rush you with classical and medieval units. Basically, MP plays out as, "Go Liberty or die" in social policies. That way, you get the free settler and worker.

Do you have Civ 4 or Alpha Centauri? We can still play Civ 5 if you want as a team which pools research and automatically allies with you. I used to do that with friends before Beyond Earth came out and they started playing that.

Otherwise, you'd have to show me the ins and outs of CK2. I've gone through some tutorials, but didn't have much time to check everything out.
Actually, I've been going retro with Civilization. I still like Civ2 the best - some of those historical scenarios are absolutely fantastic, challenging and engaging. Civ3, 4 and 5 all seem less fun and too structured. It is fun to play a game or two without war, but after that, war is what makes these games fun, but all the game advancements are all about not-war.

Overall, I've never been into playing multiplayer games. I'm pretty good at modding games that I like in order to make them harder to win as I get better at playing them. Besides which, I play games to relax, not for competitive adrenalin, which means, I always prefer single-player mode.

CK2 is a good game, but as the saying goes, it has a very steep learning curve - mostly because the documentation for the game or an in-game help feature is non-existent and the tutorial is broken. Good news is that the new version of the game (v2.2) replaces the broken tutorial with a new and much improved one.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 11:35 AM
World Citizen

I see.

Well I never got into Civ before 4. I heard of 3, but never picked it up. There is an online game called freeciv though: https://play.freeciv.org/

Alpha Centauri can actually be downloaded for free. If you want, I could link you to it, but it takes a while to download. I think it took me something like 12 hours because of server side bandwidth...

...but as for Civ 5 being too structured, no, Civ 5's problem is it's too loose. For example, you have global happiness, not local happiness. You usually only end up building 3-4 cities instead of the dozen or so in previous games before launching forward. There are many ways to try to win such as science, culture, and diplomacy, but they usually end up succumbing to conquest.

Civ 4 was very structured because it required loads of micromanagement, but that makes a good game since you don't get stuck even if you're not in optimal terrain.

Anyway, let me know if you want to play a team game. It's cooperative, so you don't have to worry about other players ruining you.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 06:34 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I see.

Well I never got into Civ before 4. I heard of 3, but never picked it up. There is an online game called freeciv though: https://play.freeciv.org/

Alpha Centauri can actually be downloaded for free. If you want, I could link you to it, but it takes a while to download. I think it took me something like 12 hours because of server side bandwidth...

...but as for Civ 5 being too structured, no, Civ 5's problem is it's too loose. For example, you have global happiness, not local happiness. You usually only end up building 3-4 cities instead of the dozen or so in previous games before launching forward. There are many ways to try to win such as science, culture, and diplomacy, but they usually end up succumbing to conquest.

Civ 4 was very structured because it required loads of micromanagement, but that makes a good game since you don't get stuck even if you're not in optimal terrain.

Anyway, let me know if you want to play a team game. It's cooperative, so you don't have to worry about other players ruining you.
I used to play Sid Meyers Alpha Centuri many years ago. That was back around the time of Civ2.

I've never heard of Freeciv - I'll have to check that out!
Old Nov 1st 2014, 09:53 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

The one expansion that definitely DO NOT USE is the Legacy of Rome DLC.

The reason is because of "retinues". I experimented using them in one game and boy-oh-boy they provide a MASSIVE boost in military power which I think just makes the game insanely easy (especially England with longbows).

I used a retinue army of longbows and pikes (39%/61% mix). 16,000 of them standing in a forest. Declare war on HRE. 1st battle, HRE throws 18,000 levy troops at my army. HRE army has no survivors. My army knocked down to 15,000 (recovers back to 16,000 for 2nd battle). 2nd battle, HRE returns with 25,000 troops including mercenaries. HRE army has 1500 cavalry survivors this time. My army knocked down to 12,000. That was absurd. The HRE is militarily wiped out now - no levy troops apart from the 1500 survivors and no cash for more mercenaries. I haven't even raised my own levy yet (40,000 plus). HRE lost 40,000+ troops and didn't even dent my retinue army.

It should not be that easy to win battles like that. No wonder everyone loves retinues. Every war becomes super simple and zero risk because "I win" (no one can stand up to my retinue). Previously, wars between my England and the HRE were massive and long-drawn out affairs that required some fancy-footwork, hired mercenaries and careful army placements to win - one small mistake and I'd lose. Not with retinues - I can win any war with anyone anytime without even trying. Even the Golden Horde was no challenge.

Btw, in my experience, since I don't normally use the Legacy of Rome DLC, I never have any problems with massively overpowered adventurer armies showing up that so many people seem to be complaining about. Only time I've ever seen any of those was when I was playing with Legacy of Rome and had retinues. Same with massive waves of Viking raiders. Without Legacy of Rome, the viking raiders are a minor nuisence, not a threat.

And everyone builds retinues - except powerful AI Kingdoms and Empires. In my own kingdom, every single count had their own retinue standing army of 500 to 1000 troops. I even found two barons with their own retinue standing army (one baron with a 1000 retinue army).

Historically speaking, other than the Byzantines, no nation had a standing army before the middle of the 15th century when France created the first in Europe. The cost of such an army was prohibitive for a feudal system - only a capitalist/monetary system could support that. England for example didn't have any paid professional troops until the 17th century.

As such, I consider the 'retinue' feature for anyone other than Byzantium to be so massively overpowering (and so totally unhistorical) as to be a game-killer.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 02:25 PM
World Citizen

Have you ever played the Byzantines? That DLC is supposed to focus on them.

That said, it's even realistic by English standards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fyrd#Organisation