Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Jan 26th 2013, 12:22 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: homeland and harms street

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
arabs and muslims in the middle east have lived in a single state ever since the time of the prophet. At the beginning of the last century they could have had their state under sharif hussein. the reason they didn't was because of the British backing the house of Saud.
The Caliphate and/or the Ottomans were a "single state" in the same way that the EU is a single state. That is to say, a metastate with enormous variation in religious, linguistic, cultural and legal differences in sub-regions, incapable of operating as a coherent whole (like the USA for example).

Are you going to tell me that Egypt and Persia are part of one natural unity and have been for 1000 years?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 12:23 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Any guesses as to the number of agents and actual pilgrims? There are millions of Iranians going to Iraq on pilgrimages.
well probably not millions. but then again there aren't millions of attacks and abductions going on.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 12:25 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The Caliphate and/or the Ottomans were a "single state" in the same way that the EU is a single state. That is to say, a state with enormous variation in religious, linguistic, cultural and legal differences in sub-regions, incapable of operating as a coherent whole (like the USA for example).
more like the united states and less than the EU.
If you want to look at differences trying to differentiate between arabs of various countries today. Look at how the arab spring started in one country and spread to the entire arab middle east.
The muslim arab people are pretty much united, divisions comes from leaders and the presence of non muslim or sunni minorities.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 01:02 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
If you want to look at differences trying to differentiate between arabs of various countries today. Look at how the arab spring started in one country and spread to the entire arab middle east.
The muslim arab people are pretty much united, divisions comes from leaders and the presence of non muslim or sunni minorities.
The US doesn't have over 20 widespread language dialects present in the ME. The EU speaks several languages.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 01:07 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
A minute ago you were talking about the history of the Middle as fully united (which it never has been).

You are moving goalposts pretty quickly here.

Btw, I've also long addressed the "outsiders fucked up the Middle East" bullshit argument as well. Do I have to do it again?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 01:45 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
The US doesn't have over 20 widespread language dialects present in the ME. The EU speaks several languages.
dialects are not languages. we can all understand each other.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 01:46 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
A minute ago you were talking about the history of the Middle as fully united (which it never has been).

You are moving goalposts pretty quickly here.

Btw, I've also long addressed the "outsiders fucked up the Middle East" bullshit argument as well. Do I have to do it again?
Yes, the middle east has a united history, how am I moving?
and yes arabs share a big responsibility for their problems, but so do the colonial powers that divided the middle east among them.