Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Oct 23rd 2012, 09:49 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: homeland and harms street

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
What money is there in I accurately portraying Lebanon? Except the money from pro Zionist lobbies?
I think the obvious question is how many people who watch television for entertainment purposes would be concerned about accuracy regarding Lebanon. To most westerners the standard Arab/Persian city image is people with machine guns trying to kill each other, regardless of location.

From a production viewpoint most any Israeli city would be considered a far safer setting than one in Lebanon. No hazardous pay requirements which would go directly to the bottom line.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 12:34 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
I think the obvious question is how many people who watch television for entertainment purposes would be concerned about accuracy regarding Lebanon. To most westerners the standard Arab/Persian city image is people with machine guns trying to kill each other, regardless of location.

From a production viewpoint most any Israeli city would be considered a far safer setting than one in Lebanon. No hazardous pay requirements which would go directly to the bottom line.
it is not staging it in lebanon that i object to, but rather that it did portray us as violent people with machine guns trying to kill people. it is racist.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 01:27 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
it is not staging it in lebanon that i object to, but rather that it did portray us as violent people with machine guns trying to kill people. it is racist.
The only people in the Beirut scenes with machine guns were American soldiers and Hezbollah militiamen. And the Americans fired the first shot in the only scenes with gunfire.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 07:51 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I don't know about racist but Beirut during the Lebanese Civil War which ended in 1990 certainly conveyed an image of violent people with machine guns trying to kill people to anyone old enough to remember that era.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 11:18 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I don't know about racist but Beirut during the Lebanese Civil War which ended in 1990 certainly conveyed an image of violent people with machine guns trying to kill people to anyone old enough to remember that era.
Right, except that was 22 years ago. This is no longer the case in Lebanon, there are no armed militia men walking the streets of Beirut. There is a minority of places that are not safe, but usually when there is trouble the army is sent there. Hence the portayal was inaccurate.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 11:20 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
The only people in the Beirut scenes with machine guns were American soldiers and Hezbollah militiamen. And the Americans fired the first shot in the only scenes with gunfire.
The hizballah militiamen don't roam the streets in Lebanon. Unless there is a war with Israel you don't see them.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:41 AM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
The hizballah militiamen don't roam the streets in Lebanon. Unless there is a war with Israel you don't see them.
They weren't roaming. That was a security detail for the big baddie, Abu Nazir. There were some local guys standing around in street clothes that had some pistols in their waistbands, but that shit happens everywhere.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 09:28 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Right, except that was 22 years ago. This is no longer the case in Lebanon, there are no armed militia men walking the streets of Beirut. There is a minority of places that are not safe, but usually when there is trouble the army is sent there. Hence the portayal was inaccurate.
Perhaps that particular portrayal was inaccurate but Beirut just had a car bombing that made international headlines. With the recent civil war, Syrian occupation, Israeli attacks and that bombing it certainly doesn't present a peaceful image. Quite the opposite. I find it very understandable why a film production crew would depict it as a location for violent espionage and paramilitary activity. It does have a valid reputation for those activities.

I also understand why some Lebanese politicians would be offended, having incurred debt equaling their GDP for reconstruction after the last war to attract industry and tourists, but such is life. Those who use television programming of that type as their entertainment will likely never consider a vacation in Lebanon, so what's the actual loss?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:32 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Perhaps that particular portrayal was inaccurate but Beirut just had a car bombing that made international headlines. With the recent civil war, Syrian occupation, Israeli attacks and that bombing it certainly doesn't present a peaceful image. Quite the opposite. I find it very understandable why a film production crew would depict it as a location for violent espionage and paramilitary activity. It does have a valid reputation for those activities.

I also understand why some Lebanese politicians would be offended, having incurred debt equaling their GDP for reconstruction after the last war to attract industry and tourists, but such is life. Those who use television programming of that type as their entertainment will likely never consider a vacation in Lebanon, so what's the actual loss?
you have a valid point. But non the less we have been trying for years to shake the image of war torn lebanon, and before this latest syrian uprising we were there to some level. but anyway such is life.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 09:37 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
you have a valid point. But non the less we have been trying for years to shake the image of war torn lebanon, and before this latest syrian uprising we were there to some level. but anyway such is life.
Why is it that it seems that Shiite pilgrims are always being murdered in Iraq? Are they suspected of being agents of, or complicit, with Saudi Arabia, or the US, or what?