Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:54 PM
Globetrotter

Default Pig factory farms

Well, I've questioned the treatment of an evil, murderous human dictator (Ghadafi), so I suppose I can't ignore the treatment of perfectly innocent pigs.

In Poland (and in the US, I believe) in recent years there has been an increase in factory pig farming.

Pigs are kept in crammed, indoor conditions, for all their life, even though woodland is their natural home - they have to wallow in their own faeces and urine.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tory-farm.html

This is all for profit of course, since it leads to more cheap pork production.

Should we stop this practice, or is human profit (and jobs) more important?
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:03 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Pig factory farms

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Well, I've questioned the treatment of an evil, murderous human dictator (Ghadafi), so I suppose I can't ignore the treatment of perfectly innocent pigs.

In Poland (and in the US, I believe) in recent years there has been an increase in factory pig farming.

Pigs are kept in crammed, indoor conditions, for all their life, even though woodland is their natural home - they have to wallow in their own faeces and urine.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tory-farm.html

This is all for profit of course, since it leads to more cheap pork production.

Should we stop this practice, or is human profit (and jobs) more important?
Same as here
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:18 AM
Globetrotter

Those pictures really show us what it must be like.
Never moving away from those crammed spaces.
Horrible life - but then again, there are jobs at stake here.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 08:19 AM
Globetrotter

This may be new in Poland but it's been standard practice in more industrialized countries for decades. It won't be long now before you have your first outbreak of swine flu or a few other diseases. When that happens all the animals will be destroyed, literally. (And Europe will foot the bill -for the record).

Personally, I don't care. Domesticated animals are either pets or walking food. my empathy lies in the wild.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:24 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Factory farms are the way of the industrialized world. Look up KFC's practices with chickens.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 02:39 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Factory farms are the way of the industrialized world. Look up KFC's practices with chickens.
I'm not sure what's more disturbing - what they do with them before they kill them, or after.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 03:06 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramjockey View Post
I'm not sure what's more disturbing - what they do with them before they kill them, or after.
Well there is also the how they kill them.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:10 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
This may be new in Poland but it's been standard practice in more industrialized countries for decades. It won't be long now before you have your first outbreak of swine flu or a few other diseases. When that happens all the animals will be destroyed, literally. (And Europe will foot the bill -for the record).

Personally, I don't care. Domesticated animals are either pets or walking food. my empathy lies in the wild.
As has often been quoted, few people who enjoy sausage would appreciate the process involved in preparing it for consumption. Just like politics.

I think one has to experience killing fish, fowl and mammals for food consumption to truly understand that process. Again, no different than politics. Weak stomachs had best leave both to others as something is always going to be sacrificed.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 11:32 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
As has often been quoted, few people who enjoy sausage would appreciate the process involved in preparing it for consumption. Just like politics.

I think one has to experience killing fish, fowl and mammals for food consumption to truly understand that process. Again, no different than politics. Weak stomachs had best leave both to others as something is always going to be sacrificed.
... and this is the hypocrisy that drives me wild about other meat eaters. My rule has become very simple - If I am not willing to kill it myself, I will not eat it. If it has led an unhappy, constrained life, such as the pictures above depict, I will not eat it. Pigs especially are a treasure that is wasted. Their ability to plough up a plot of land ahead of planting is unmatched. They also come with automatic fertiliser outlets and spreaders.

There is a small but growing movement afoot in North America and Europe following the footsteps of our ancestors and most recently articulated by "lunatic farmer" Joel Salatin. The real problem is actually less related to the treatment of animals and more related to the destruction of soil. Animal husbandry was meant to incorporate a vital part of the soil's ecosystem into farming a diversity of crops and rotating through these to renew the nutrients in the land long before chemical fertilisers were created. Pig factory farms are just a side effect of an inefficient, expensive and unhealthy shift away from proper soil management. Soil today is treated more like a growth substrate than a nutrient base for food production (plant and animal). Here Joel explains the process of what I consider to be proper land management and animal husbandry all rolled into one.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 02:25 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Joel Salatin is a fucking hero.