Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old May 12th 2011, 10:12 AM
World Citizen

Default Re: Enviropessimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Sorry, that link doesn't prove shit.

Try this one on: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/environmentalist

Edit: my point being that you are necessarily complicating things.
Even a basic definition proves the point because you're begging the question over what a "resource" is if people aren't allowed to use resources freely.

Why you're saying my links don't prove shit though, I don't understand. They show how you need aesthetics to make environmental judgments.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:13 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
I am not saying that aesthetic is not a motivator. But YOU are claiming that it is the only factor. Which is bull.
Well that's deduction. You look for alternatives, and if there aren't any, then you draw a conclusion.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:15 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
Even a basic definition proves the point because you're begging the question over what a "resource" is if people aren't allowed to use resources freely.
Begging the question doesn't mean what you think it means.

Quote:
Why you're saying my links don't prove shit though, I don't understand. They show how you need aesthetics to make environmental judgments.
Some of the most integral parts of an ecosystem are invisible to the naked eye. How is it a matter of aesthetics to want to save them.

And if you're talking about polar bears on the covers of organic granola bars... that's called marketing.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:17 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Well that's deduction. You look for alternatives, and if there aren't any, then you draw a conclusion.
Just because the only concept YOU have of environmentalism is "that tree is pretty" doesn't mean it's the only alternative.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:21 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Begging the question doesn't mean what you think it means.
What do you think I think it means?

Begging the question involves assuming your conclusion in your premise which is exactly what environmentalism does because it assumes proper organization of resources.

Quote:
Some of the most integral parts of an ecosystem are invisible to the naked eye. How is it a matter of aesthetics to want to save them.
Well the environment doesn't let you "see" those parts, does it?

That's the problem with environmentalism. In order to investigate the environment to discover its identity, you have to change it in some way.

Quote:
Just because the only concept YOU have of environmentalism is "that tree is pretty" doesn't mean it's the only alternative.
Fine, give me an alternative. Prove your point.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:24 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Try actually READING Andrew's posts on the subject.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:30 AM
World Citizen

I am, believe me, I am, and I sympathize with a lot of what he's saying.

The problem is that emotional sympathy doesn't yield ethics. That's what makes life valuable - thought.

If emotions made life valuable, then there'd be no reason to even recognize life as existing because emotions are naturally driven. How you feel is not something that's in your control even if you can control your perspective encouraged by believing a certain perspective will result in a different emotion.

If we premised ethics on emotions, then acknowledging nature by itself would be satisfactory. We wouldn't have to acknowledge life at all. Heck, we could abuse each other all we want in order to experience as much emotion as possible,
Old May 12th 2011, 10:44 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
I am, believe me, I am, and I sympathize with a lot of what he's saying.

The problem is that emotional sympathy doesn't yield ethics. That's what makes life valuable - thought.

If emotions made life valuable, then there'd be no reason to even recognize life as existing because emotions are naturally driven. How you feel is not something that's in your control even if you can control your perspective encouraged by believing a certain perspective will result in a different emotion.

If we premised ethics on emotions, then acknowledging nature by itself would be satisfactory. We wouldn't have to acknowledge life at all. Heck, we could abuse each other all we want in order to experience as much emotion as possible,
You're projecting your self-constructed ethical system on everyone else, which is unjustified.
Old May 12th 2011, 11:00 AM
World Citizen

What I'm doing is being openminded and looking for an alternative that doesn't seem contradicting.

Please, I'm not trying to be a troll or judgmental here. As a matter of rejecting projection, you have to understand that not all personalities communicate the same way.

Just relax and tell me what you're thinking. That's all.
Old May 12th 2011, 11:02 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
What I'm doing is being openminded and looking for an alternative that doesn't seem contradicting.

Please, I'm not trying to be a troll or judgmental here. As a matter of rejecting projection, you have to understand that not all personalities communicate the same way.

Just relax and tell me what you're thinking. That's all.
Ethics systems are entirely constructed. Environmentalists view preservation, or non-interference in the global ecosystem as a moral imperative. It need not be based on the fact that trees are nice to look at.

Indeed, probably the basis of the morality is sustainability.